BUG report: AI dont die

OtterNas3

Titel says it,

i installed fresh today DZAI 1.8.0.2

My group found one solo AI on the road and he shoot one of us, no problem, we started shooting him, he fall down and we thought he died, 3 secs after he shoots again at us.
This repeats all the time, we was not able to kill him :/

Moo,
Otter

Update: It seems it was a AI that jumped out of a Chopper.

We shot down a UH60-M and they landed, the 3 guys that jumped out are not killable.

Moo,
Otter

Ah so the 1.8.02 is developement status?

Okay thx buttface i see my error now... used the wrong thread to download DZAI.

But maybe the bug report helps you somehow for the 1.8 branch

Yes, the 1.8.0 version hasn't been fully tested. Thank you very much for the bug report, I've found the cause of the problem and will be applying the fix immediately.

Also I want to confirm with you if this problem only happened with helicopter AI and not other regular ground AI units?

The problem was on all AI units, but only sometimes.

Mostly they die normal when you shoot em, sometimes they go into the dying animation over and over again, and rare they stand up again and run away or shoot you after you alrdy killed em.

FYI: This happend to us on the 1.7.1.3 also but not as much as it did in the 1.8 test branch.

I will keep watching it and give you more information on it.

Moo,
Otter

The AI are only truly dead when you can hear flies coming from their bodies. Otherwise, they're only unconscious and wake up after some time.

Unconscious with 3 headshots ^^

We got reported from players on the Server yesterday, that these behavior is also in the 1.7.1.3
Doesnt matter if it was a chopper crew or the dynamic spawned npc's.
Most times they die normal and sometimes they just stand up again, even with 50 bullets in their Head.

When they are hit and fell to the ground (unconscious) is it possible to kill em then?
It seems like you cant shoot em anymore until they stand up again.

I will testrun this later on a Epoch Vanilla install on my testbox, and come back to you with more infos on this.

Moo,
Otter

When the AI are unconscious they are still able to be killed, because the unconscious state is basically an animation that prevents AI from moving or shooting. I've found that it's nearly impossible to hit the AI when you're up very close to them while they're unconscious, but once you back up a few steps you can hit them just fine. It seems to be related to the bullet projectile path completely missing the AI body when the barrel of your weapon is too close.

Buttface,

Love the newest release bro....major improvement and love the new features. I can confirm, at least on my test servers, the AI that exit the heli after landing, one of them is invincible. It seems the one AI that cannot be killed is always running, stuck in a loop. All AI that exit the heli have Survivor tags in white, not Bandit in red. The AI that parachute from a air vehicles which become normal AI ground forces works flawless!

*BTW, a small donation is heading your way for your time and effort. I couldn't resist as your AI script has brought a tremendous amount of fun and excitement to my servers.

Heavy, thanks for the bug report. Can you tell me if there is anything out of the ordinary in your server's RPT log when the helicopter AI exit their vehicle and the invincibility issue happens? I'm looking at the script files relating to the heli crew creation/conversion as well as the damagehandlers. All settings including health-related variables are applied to each AI unit equally and at the same time so I can't find anything that could cause a single unit to be invincible. I'll continue looking into this but right now I don't have any ideas to work from.

I'd also like to thank you for your generous contribution and hope you continue to enjoy DZAI. :)

Thought i'd pop on and say a few words! Firstly excellent mod mate, i had sarge AI but didn't really like, a little bloated and didn't feel right so i removed it and installed yours, and i absolutely love it, so do my kids although they moan that they're too hard lol. I just love the patrolling choppers, really adds to the atmosphere, considering me and my boys are playing a private offline DayZ 1.8.03.

Anyway just wanted to add to what others are saying about the ai unconscious or dead who knows, i shot a bandit in the head while she was swimming naked in a pond, okay that last bit was made up. Anyway it took several attempts to kill her. One minute i thought she died and gone under water and out of nowhere up she popped again. This happened a lot, one shot in the head kills a zombie but not these guys and gals. Not come across any invincible but they do seem a little bullet proof at times.

Hope this little gem doesn't get forgotten to rot under a carpet because it's keeping me and my boys on our toes. Also i'm considering donating as well mate. Only installed it last night so lets see where this little masterpiece goes. I was running version 1.8.0 if that helps.

Jon ;)

@Pirate3969: DZAI's AI units are more durable than ones from other AI mods, since they use a health system that's very similar to players. Default AI are much more fragile, and can take damage equivalent to about 4000-4500 blood, same as a regular zombie. In comparison, DZAI units have 12000 blood and use the same damage calculations used for players. AI can also be knocked unconscious just like players and require the same amount of damage for a knockout, the only difference is the knockout timers are fixed at 12.5/20 seconds (body shot/headshot) instead of the timers used for players which can vary wildly from ~3 seconds to over a minute.

I hope you and your boys continue to enjoy DZAI. I also personally use it for an offline DayZ experience since I don't have very much time to spend on a real multiplayer server.

@Everyone: I'm continuing to look into the matter of invincible helicopter AI but haven't yet narrowed down the cause of the problem. I'll try out a few script changes and will see if it helps. I consider unkillable AI an incredibly high-priority issue so I'm determined to get to the bottom of this.

I'd like to hear from everyone about the AI helicopter landings, as it seems the eventhandler that detects landings isn't being run so the AI conversion never actually happens. For people who've witnessed AI exiting helicopters, are the AI equipped with weapons and backpacks?

EDIT: I've fixed the AI helicopter landing issue in the 1.8.0.1 hotfix here: http://opendayz.net/posts/83376/. Please provide any feedback about whether the problem of invincible AI and anything related to helicopter AI landing has been fixed. I'd also like to thank everyone for giving their own input into this issue, it's helped me greatly in fixing this problem.

I replied to your hotfix post. I hope my info helps. I'll do some more testing and report back. You think a modded server cleanup would have anything to do with AI looping?

@Pirate3969: DZAI's AI units are more durable than ones from other AI mods, since they use a health system that's very similar to players. Default AI are much more fragile, and can take damage equivalent to about 4000-4500 blood, same as a regular zombie. In comparison, DZAI units have 12000 blood and use the same damage calculations used for players. AI can also be knocked unconscious just like players and require the same amount of damage for a knockout, the only difference is the knockout timers are fixed at 12.5/20 seconds (body shot/headshot) instead of the timers used for players which can vary wildly from ~3 seconds to over a minute.

I hope you and your boys continue to enjoy DZAI. I also personally use it for an offline DayZ experience since I don't have very much time to spend on a real multiplayer server.

Thanks for the explanation Buttface, it makes a lot of sense, will be playing it today as i work weekends and sit on my ass all week so will let you know with regards to the chaps in the heli, if i survive long enough.

Jon ;)

Sent a small donation, get paid in a couple of weeks so may give you another because i appreciate guys like yourself!

@Heavy: Are your videos from before or after the hotfix update? If it's after, then please make 100% sure you have the latest files because in my own testing I didn't have the same happen to me. In my testing, had 10 Hueys spawn with setDamage 0.6 applied so that they were forced to land within a minute after spawning. I tracked down one Huey as it landed and found the AI crew were indeed loaded with weapons and backpacks, and killing them produced additional loot just like normal static AI. I tried to board every position possible on the landed Huey and was immediately kicked out each time. Another reason I suspect the hotfix files weren't applied correctly is because all the AI in each video have identical skins, while in 1.8.0.1 I made a change so that a random skin is selected for each crew member.

@Pirate3969: I'd like to thank you very much for your generosity. My personal advice during your helicopter-hunting adventures is that if you manage to get the AI crew to parachute out, make some distance and seek out cover because you absolutely don't want them to land right beside you. I made that mistake several times during testing because the landed AI are dangerous up close.

@Pirate3969: I'd like to thank you very much for your generosity. My personal advice during your helicopter-hunting adventures is that if you manage to get the AI crew to parachute out, make some distance and seek out cover because you absolutely don't want them to land right beside you. I made that mistake several times during testing because the landed AI are dangerous up close.

LOL, thanks for the advice, i'm sure i'll forget to pass that onto my boys. :D

Thanks for the update, deleted the old and installed fresh. Now for a playtest, thanks again for the time and effort Buttface, appreciated mate!

@Heavy: Are your videos from before or after the hotfix update? If it's after, then please make 100% sure you have the latest files because in my own testing I didn't have the same happen to me. In my testing, had 10 Hueys spawn with setDamage 0.6 applied so that they were forced to land within a minute after spawning. I tracked down one Huey as it landed and found the AI crew were indeed loaded with weapons and backpacks, and killing them produced additional loot just like normal static AI. I tried to board every position possible on the landed Huey and was immediately kicked out each time. Another reason I suspect the hotfix files weren't applied correctly is because all the AI in each video have identical skins, while in 1.8.0.1 I made a change so that a random skin is selected for each crew member.

Buttface, this was after the hotfix was applied. I tweaked the skins to only spawn AI with bandit clothing for each mod (creates less confusion on a PVE server) as well as removing the lower tier backpacks. Below is what I'm using on my 1.8 server.

DZAI_BanditTypes = ["Bandit1_DZ", "BanditW1_DZ"];

DZAI_Backpacks0 = ["DZ_Assault_Pack_EP1"];
DZAI_Backpacks1 = ["DZ_TK_Assault_Pack_EP1","DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1"];
DZAI_Backpacks2 = ["DZ_British_ACU"];
DZAI_Backpacks3 = ["DZ_CivilBackpack_EP1","DZ_Backpack_EP1"];

I'm redoing the AI for each server using the last files you posted. I'll let you know once things are tested.

*Update - after using the most recent files AI are working perfect. No looping of AI, gear is present on all AI that abandon a vehicle, and I wasn't able to enter a downed AI vehicle (got the neat lil message). I did my tweaks as mentioned above and things still worked fine after doing so.

Buttface, this was after the hotfix was applied. I tweaked the skins to only spawn AI with bandit clothing for each mod (creates less confusion on a PVE server) as well as removing the lower tier backpacks. Below is what I'm using on my 1.8 server.

DZAI_BanditTypes = ["Bandit1_DZ", "BanditW1_DZ"];

DZAI_Backpacks0 = ["DZ_Assault_Pack_EP1"];
DZAI_Backpacks1 = ["DZ_TK_Assault_Pack_EP1","DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1"];
DZAI_Backpacks2 = ["DZ_British_ACU"];
DZAI_Backpacks3 = ["DZ_CivilBackpack_EP1","DZ_Backpack_EP1"];

I'm redoing the AI for each server using the last files you posted. I'll let you know once things are tested.

*Update - after using the most recent files AI are working perfect. No looping of AI, gear is present on all AI that abandon a vehicle, and I wasn't able to enter a downed AI vehicle (got the neat lil message). I did my tweaks as mentioned above and things still worked fine after doing so.

You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that everything is now working out. Thanks for confirming that the problem is finally fixed.

Back