Dayz Quest System [EPOCH ADDITION] v0.1 [IN DEVELOPMENT]

[GSG] Az

Hi all,

I'm developing a custom Dayz quest based system for use with Epoch, but non specific Epoch features will work with any mod.

The main features focus on improving the immersion, and keeping the player attached to their character.

Initially, I will be developing this as a mission/server add-on, but if the community receives it well I may look at developing it into a full blown mod (Not likely, Epoch is awesome!).

I'm not so much looking for help with scripting (although help is welcome :) ) but more so asking the community for feedback and suggestions on features to add. Below is a list of the features I am currently developing, as well as a brief description of each feature and how it will work.

0.1 FEATURE LIST

• Player Level System

Players will be able to gain levels which will affect what quests are available to them, and also affect other elements of the new gameplay ideas as well. This will be separate from humanity. I have seen humanity based levelling systems but am not a fan as they restrict the gameplay based on your alignment (Hero, Bandit). Characters will not keep levels when they die, and I believe this contributes further to the immersion of the mod.
  • New traders and item system

The item system will be getting an overhaul, introducing the level system into the traders. Higher level players will gain perks when trading with specified traders (not the default Epoch traders yet, only the new traders I have added). Perks will not be limited to pricing, but also to what items are available.
  • Achievement System

I havent been able to find an achievement based system for ARMA yet, so I decided to make my own. It will simply broadcast a side chat message when a player satisfies criteria. This system will be fully customizable so any admin can add/remove achievements and there will be a simple event system implemented so admins will simply be able to specify custom handles instead of coding complex event criteria. I will also provide a basic template so that admins can add custom events if they please. Players will be able to view achievements via a simple debug menu, and also see achievements that they haven't unlocked yet.
  • Banking/Economy System

Introducing banks around the map. You will be able to trade your hard earned gold and store it in the bank. This offers a level of security for players currency. Banks will charge a fee (As they should!) and will also spawn missions between banks - Transferring currency to another bank - Which will be able to be robbed (Bandits eat your heart out!). Players will also be able to 'invest' their currency, which will be sent to another bank via a random mission. If this mission gets to its target without being destroyed, the player will receive a boost to their investment (Players protecting AI?). Players will also be able to invest directly at a trader. This will not return gold, but will reduce prices based on the investment. I was also thinking about players being able to purchase a trader, and receive dividends from that traders sales (This I want feedback on).
  • Economy revamp

I will be revamping the trading system to take into account supply and demand. Items will have variable pricing based on the supply available and the rate at which items are being purchased. There will also be a way to set an arbitrary limit on the max price and min price to prevent it spiralling out of control.
  • Questing System

Players will be able to visit several NPC's on the map and receive quests to perform based on player level, weapon proficiency etc. Rewards will be offered upon successful completion. There will be player based quests and also dynamic world based quests (See dynamic world).
  • Weapon Proficiency

The system will work off weapon types (for a general proficiency) and also off particular weapons (specific proficiency). All players will start off with a zero proficiency of each weapon type and each individual weapon. Lower proficiency will result in increased weapon sway, lower accuracy from the hip, and also result in regular weapon jams. Killing zeds and players will result in a higher proficiency.
  • Dynamic World

I was playing with an idea of consequence based development of the Dayz Epoch world. That then spiralled into an awesome idea of dynamic world development. My initial idea will have custom trading cities and other world areas that require unlocking. Quest chains will be provided and any player (More so groups of players, these quests will be HARD!) and any player will be able to finish or contribute to the chain. Missions in progress will also be able to be joined by any player on the server, but this will be a future feature. To keep performance optimal, these will only spawn in once at least 1 player satisfies the criteria (Level etc). I need a fair bit of feedback on this as i'm currently limited to my own ideas (And I'd much rather the communities ideas).
  • Instancing

This is probably going to be the hardest thing to implement. Instanced missions will only appear once the instanced player enters the mission area. This will prevent others from completing the mission for the instanced player. Ideally I would like to see the missions not appear (on the map and in the actual location) but I don't think ARMA can handle this (Open to suggestions!).
  • Guilds

Epoch currently has "Tag as friendly" but it resets after every disconnect. Guilds will allow players to form a guild, which will then provide the player with an option to add members to their guild. The added member will receive a notification and be able to accept or deny the request. This will allow players to be constantly tagged as friendly (Script will tag on first key press once in game). This will also affect plot poles, as players tagged as friendly can build (No more waiting for them to login!). Guilds may also feature vehicle tags, but this will be up to admins to implement as it requires custom graphics uploaded (Toggle-able via variable script, UID limitations on selectable graphics). Players will also be able to visit the guild vendor and manage the guild (Members and so on) so they don't have to go and find the player to remove them from the guild. Server admins will also be able to toggle location tags so that guild members can see other guild members easily, however I see this as vulnerable to hackers and easily exploitable so this option may or may not be developed.
  • Story based quest chains

I've added a separate heading for this as it requires a little more clarification. Players will be able to enter into conversations with NPC's and this will activate the quest chain. There will also be custom NPC's that drop hints and suggestions about special quest NPC's that spawn in a different location each server restart. There will also be treasure to be found around the map and these NPC's will be crucial to figuring out where it is and how to get it. Each NPC will have their own story, background and attitude. NPC's will be interacable based on humanity and level.

• Player Class System

So every player is a avionics technician? Not likely! Introducing a class based system where players need to gain proficiency in particular classes before they can actually tackle the more advanced areas of that particular class. Mechanics, Medics, Drivers etc. This idea needs refinement but the basic concept is there [Credit: Jackal]
Thats all for now!​
I welcome any suggestions and comments!​

GITHUB - Coming Soon!
SCREENSHOTS - Coming Soon!
VIDEO - Coming soon!

so maybe you should talk to the fathers of epoch and get this stuff added directly to it instead of making another mod...
there are so many mods out there... some good - some bad... there could be some fewer but better mods if some of these guys would have worked together...

just my opinion...

so maybe you should talk to the fathers of epoch and get this stuff added directly to it instead of making another mod...
there are so many mods out there... some good - some bad... there could be some fewer but better mods if some of these guys would have worked together...

just my opinion...

Thats likely to be my eventual goal, but getting it working and making it work how the community wants it is my first priority. But thanks for the feedback.

hey,
i like the idea and its sounds like you are using sporks DayZ of Glory Script as the Base. I have already install quite the same on normal DayZ 1.8.0.3
My Players need to reach Levels to gain abilities like Base-Building, Self-BB or Gut Animals.
I would like to help you with this one =) although i'm not a native english speaker ^^

hey,
i like the idea and its sounds like you are using sporks DayZ of Glory Script as the Base. I have already install quite the same on normal DayZ 1.8.0.3
My Players need to reach Levels to gain abilities like Base-Building, Self-BB or Gut Animals.
I would like to help you with this one =) although i'm not a native english speaker ^^

I like this idea also, couple things I would change though. Make quests unlock other mods is a great idea. Lift tow, self blood bag, even already built in functions like flying could all be unlocked.

I would like for the levels and unlocks to be persistent through death though. It would get evasively boring to have to repeat each quest after each death. It would also make for a place for bandits to "farm kills" at that first or worst yet "mandatory" quest giver would be camped.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, quests will be persistent after death after considering these points. I am using ARMA2NET so custom DB fields are easy enough.

Generally, I would be placing the NPC's for critical missions inside a safe zone to prevent this from happening, there would be "wandering" NPC's that have additional special missions, but its a matter of luck if you find them :)

hey,

I am not actually. I am trying my hardest to code this entirely from scratch! In a few short days, I will be posting up the github and such, and you are welcome to contribute any help at all. I am adding language localisation so I could definitely use the help for the german translations there! Haha.

If you want to get more involved, shoot me a message and I'll organise a time to get you up to speed with progress etc.

These are all great ideas and would enhance what is becoming the real Dayz. Epoch by far is headed in the right direction and the mod community should keep plugging away once they have tried "Alpha" Standalone then they will come back to the "real" game.

Gramps seems a little quite on this thread hope your still working on it. Want to test anything I have two servers you can put things on.

Definitely still working on this guys... It's just a mammoth effort to get right and I am a perfectionist haha. Ill give you all an update within the next few days to let you know whats done already and what is in progress :)

UPDATE - 05/03/2014

Database saving is NOT yet complete. Alpha will be released once I can code specific calls (Not unsafe 999 calls) or once epoch default dll supports custom tables (Even a template in each source release would be suffice). I've also toyed with the idea of a standalone DLL (Probably ARMA2NET or something similar).

The following features are done pending alpha testing;
  • Quest System dynamic code (Relies solely on cfg files, no need to modify script to handle custom dialogs and quests)
  • 35 Unique NPC's (Storylines WIP)
  • 129 Unique quests as a part of 23 quest chains
  • NPC's preconfigured for Chernarus, Napf, Namalsk, Taviana, Panthera
  • Weapon Proficiencies
  • Banking system
  • Trader Investment
  • DayZ 1.7.7.1+ Compatibility
  • DayZ Epoch 1.0.3+ Compatibility
  • Full PVC/PVS Methods
  • Complete Modular Design
  • Basic custom quest support (Needs improvement)
The following features are partially developed;
  • Trader supply and demand (Toggleable, DB & cfg)
  • Revamped Economy and Integration of balancing
  • Player Class system
  • Quest instancing
  • Dynamic World
  • Player class system
  • Player levelling system (With skill point based development)
  • Guild System
  • Standalone ARMA II Compatibility
  • Installation Guide
  • Configuration Guide
New features not accounted for originally;
  • Weapon Crafting and Upgrade System
  • Singular GUI for all DQS features - Tabbed interface, like a real MMO :)
And all of this, just a mere 976KB.

Oh and just to clarify;

This is being developed as a MISSION/SERVER.PBO Modification. No custom mods needed. Solely mission file download required.

UPDATE - 05/03/2014

Database saving is NOT yet complete. Alpha will be released once I can code specific calls (Not unsafe 999 calls) or once epoch default dll supports custom tables (Even a template in each source release would be suffice). I've also toyed with the idea of a standalone DLL (Probably ARMA2NET or something similar).

The following features are done pending alpha testing;
  • Quest System dynamic code (Relies solely on cfg files, no need to modify script to handle custom dialogs and quests)
  • 35 Unique NPC's (Storylines WIP)
  • 129 Unique quests as a part of 23 quest chains
  • NPC's preconfigured for Chernarus, Napf, Namalsk, Taviana, Panthera
  • Weapon Proficiencies
  • Banking system
  • Trader Investment
  • DayZ 1.7.7.1+ Compatibility
  • DayZ Epoch 1.0.3+ Compatibility
  • Full PVC/PVS Methods
  • Complete Modular Design
  • Basic custom quest support (Needs improvement)
The following features are partially developed;
  • Trader supply and demand (Toggleable, DB & cfg)
  • Revamped Economy and Integration of balancing
  • Player Class system
  • Quest instancing
  • Dynamic World
  • Player class system
  • Player levelling system (With skill point based development)
  • Guild System
  • Standalone ARMA II Compatibility
  • Installation Guide
  • Configuration Guide
New features not accounted for originally;
  • Weapon Crafting and Upgrade System
  • Singular GUI for all DQS features - Tabbed interface, like a real MMO :)
And all of this, just a mere 976KB.

Oh and just to clarify;

This is being developed as a MISSION/SERVER.PBO Modification. No custom mods needed. Solely mission file download required.

Looks good! If you need a namslk server to test this out, let me know I'd gladly implement it.

Just finished a major rescript of the whole project to make it more performance friendly. Now it has minimal scripts executing (All executed as calls from DQS_Compiles) and has configurable options. There are a few game breaking bugs that I need to resolve, but overall its almost done. For the most part, the only requirements left to do is simply to make it 'admin friendly' by having easy to use settings and minimal code changes.

I'm actually doing some research for it right now, busily coding away as we speak :)

Back