"FactionZ" - Seeking Development Help

Strikes

I personally run six public servers and a handful of Private Servers; but our little gem seems to be a mod of DayZ that our server community came up with; FactionZ.

The website we use is: http://servers.vigilantaddiction.com

It started off with really just two 'Factions' of about 6-8 people and a couple of bandits; but now we've got teams of roughly 15-20 per Faction and the sign ups are growing every day. We get nothing but positive feedback regarding this 'mod' and I personally only wish that I/we could make it better some how because I really believe we, as a community, have stumbled upon something great. My only issue is that I've really been doing it all alone; I've picked up some guys that are helping with base building and some administrative tasks... but some of them play too so I can't give them access to everything.

FactionZ is pretty much just a DayZ map that we custom build-out some bases on to and then assign a Faction to it. We allow people to sign up for a Faction via the board and then when the 'cycle' goes live they're playing together, as a group, to 'win' the cycle. Factions win the cycle by earning points for their team at weekend events and our 'end of cycle' events (every 3 weeks). We pretty much just tally up items that they own and assigned points to them (Survival Score) and then we add their whole team score up together and declare a FactionZ cycle winner. They earn forum badges of all types for winning various things.

Here's an example of our first Cycle Scoreboard: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AskutJsqK9g7dGVJeGZpUXRtM1BvY2VBYWU0eUliMkE#gid=0

It was pretty fun because the 'End of Cycle' event is 4-5 hours long and then at the end they watch us 'live' tally up the scores on the google doc and declare a winner. The Factions are then reset at the end of the Cycle, and we move to another map to start anew, with new signups/teams.

Another fun 'thing' that we coined in this mod is our "Loot Zombie" runs. This is where I literally give myself some epic gear/weapons/ammo and run around giving clues to my location. People then attempt to hunt me and kill me for my loot before someone else does. I can't/don't shoot back at people but instead just try to dodge/hide from them. Usually this causes some really awesome firefights and great memories for our players. (and videos! www.twitch.tv/lootzombie)

Taking this 'mod' any farther probably requires some actual game development skill sets; which is nearly impossible for me along. I'm more of a business type personally; with funding and such. I currently have an Indie Start-Up Studio in the works on their first iPhone game. But, don't read that the wrong way... I'm a normal 8-5 Full-time job guy and all this is just a really fun hobby; but I dream big.

We're hoping that some day we'll be able to change the game enough where people can have their own storage lockers, with in-game combinations to keep them private. We also hope to eventually have the ability to actual 'assign' people to Factions so if they're in the wrong safe area they can't loot/shoot; or if people are in their own safe zone they can't take damage. Sadly, all that is way beyond my talent and it's nearly just it's own game.

That's why I'm reaching out though - The community that we have here as Admins, and as DayZ players, is pretty strong. This could really also be a 'Game Type' for DayZ Standalone imo; but I have no idea where to even start to try and contact someone to see if it would even be a possibility.

Depends on what you want to do, i found your forum i just haven't signed up to chat on it just yet.

We're hoping that some day we'll be able to change the game enough where people can have their own storage lockers, with in-game combinations to keep them private. We also hope to eventually have the ability to actual 'assign' people to Factions so if they're in the wrong safe area they can't loot/shoot; or if people are in their own safe zone they can't take damage. Sadly, all that is way beyond my talent and it's nearly just it's own game.

This is all possible today and some people are already doing this on their servers.

even the assigning of factions, unfortunatly you only have 4 sides though you can't assign a person to a specific faction per say, the unit they player controls can be from a specific faction.

ill hit you up later

I personally play on FactionZ, and I love every thing about it. I play as a bandit, mostly because I like the idea of having the ability to absolutely make or break a faction. Obviously I cant do this dierectly, for exeample I can not enter their bases or fire into them for any reason, but I can work for them, grab vehicles, guns, rare items that earn them points, etc... That said I can also go out of my way to track them, kill them, sabotage their vehicles, or even just simply give them away.

I love what Stikes, and the community have provided for myself and other legit players. When an idea comes around that brings people from all over the world together, and creates friendships that otherwise would have never even been imagined, it's not something you are willing to just let go of. It would be great to have more players sign up, more people talking about it, and the knowledge that what has been accomplished will continue to succeed.

My in game name is NCarver, I'm an outsider, and I love it.

I love factionz. It is a great idea and it works well. I just started with this cycle and have never had this much fun before playing dayz. If you haven't tried it I think you should. Trust me you will love it. Adding this game type to standalone would be amazing. You won't regret it.

There is no better enjoyment than playing dayz our factionz style, The teams and the close bonds you make learning who to trust, kill, and run from. Hording supplies and vehicles is a lot of fun and warding off enemies is the best part, locking down, taking over, what ever it takes to get what you need. A community family is what we have became. ;)

Back