Hacking etc

I was thinking more like Hagrid ;)

I ban on IP separately from the GUID, run the whitelister, it's fairly stable but does crash sometimes, there's also no support for multiple instances which is painful and if I set it to whitelist everyone that joins it tends to whitelist the people that come in just to destroy everything . That's why we leave it on all the time and ask users to register online.

We have at least 1x admin active pretty much at all times, though the tools they use are rather limited, I've found bliss admin to be the easiest for them to use, however it's not really maintained. I don't bother with log parsers, as mentioned the vast majority of the time there's nothing in the logs.

Hardware wise including bandwidth we probably run some of the best kit out there, though we can only do it as we run other game servers as well which helps to pay for it all (we own our own hardware).

The latest issues we have is once people get caught cheating and banned they then DDoS port 2302. Each of our hardware node runs dual gigabit ethernet ports that connect back to 10Gbps uplinks, however that doesn't really matter as it doesn't take much for arma to stop responding to requests and boot everyone.

Here's one such example which maxed out one of the ports (95.211.186.68 => 948.4 Mbps), the attacks actually register up around 4Gbps on the switch, sometimes more.

We have at least 1x admin active pretty much at all times, though the tools they use are rather limited, I've found bliss admin to be the easiest for them to use, however it's not really maintained. I don't bother with log parsers, as mentioned the vast majority of the time there's nothing in the logs.

IMHO this is a mistake.

IMHO this is a mistake.

What part? if it's the log parser then I've tried them before and they just end up banning innocent players.

I am giving pyBEscanner a go now and straight up it booted a few players for G36c SD ammo, which spawns on our server (default bliss) fixed that up but I can see some tweaking will need to be done which is fair enough but then you need to worry about updating all the filters later on when you upgrade.

until now is the most maintained and opensource parser that i know that is good enough to make a lot of know scripts banned, this of course can be much better if us as community support it on the development.

For the record, that is my opinion , im not related with the tool or any member, it just IMHO

good work all you guys, try to make dayz grow all we can.

I am not a wizard but I do have an awesome beard: http://puu.sh/1zPC4

mother-of-god.jpg

Killzone, what are the specs of your server? and is it dedicated or VM? sounds like you are having similiar performance issues to what i was having awhile back.

Anyways for the anti hack its very easy to spot the hackers, a good tool i use is the unclearwall's admin tool. Such a great tool and for a time we did use your tool but found that unclears did a better job at finding the hackers. Most hackers are retarded aswell but you can keep your server hacker free with only a few active admins. Only thing that gets on my nerves is the fact that battleshit can see people spawning boxes but does nothing to stop them before its ran, same goes for the mass tp's. The dam things are all logged but we need something hooked into the server to stop it from running.

Me, Stokoe and Dave are working on the simple automated ban system for removing players with hacked in items that will search the database and ban the player's GUID.

apart form AMD being a pile of crap not sure why you would be having an issue then, unless its the clockspeeds of the CPU. we ran ours at 70 players for a while with little issues and the only issues where scripts running slower than they should have been, so player deaths would start to lag alot.

Nothing wrong with AMD ;) although we run dual Xeon E5 2650s. Even when we hit 70 odd players a few times the cores that were assigned never went over 10% memory usage is obviously limited, in fact this game uses very few resources.

how often do you restart?

We restart our server every 6 hours. But like you said the hyperthreading + the auto overclocking ability on the new cpu means our 3.4GHz process can hit up to 3.8GHz which will also be helping out a shit load. Seems arma cares more about the higher clock speed over the number of logical cores on the processor aswell.

Back