I currently host with dayz.st - how hard to host on dedi server?

MikeID

Hi There,

A quick question, that I hope someone can help me with...

I currently host with day.st, but I am thinking of taking a dedicated server out, and hosting independantly. I run dedicated servers already (for web hosting), but I am somewhat new to game hosting, and I wondered...

1) How difficult would it be to run 2 or 3 game servers off of one dedicated server? Would I need to split the dedicated server into separate virtual servers, or could I run 2 or 3 dayz software servers from the same dedi server

2) How hard would it be to implement some form of GUI for the server, similar to what dayz.st have for changing some settings, altering player loadouts

3) Is there an open source solution for an admin map, that shows players position, allows spawning vehicles etc like dayz.st have?

Phew! Sorry for the 3 in-depth questions, hope you guys don't mind!

Setting up bliss on a windows 2008 R2 server is as as easy as pissing on your shoe in a public bathroom. Of coarse I have experience working with the servers in the hosting industry for the last 15 years so my opinion could be different from someone who is used to GUI control panels.

In essence you need to know how to use command prompt and basic administration of a windows server. I write my own scripts so automating various tasks is trivial plus I have complete control over DayZ instances that no control panel like TCAdmin can ever deliver. The best part not having to wait for some hoster to get around supporting maps my crew want to play, we just load up what we need and roll. Most of the mapping software like DayZMap can be found here, its an open source PHP site that you setup in IIS and interface to the MySQL database the hive runs on. Same goes for DayZ load out editor. The rest is done though SQL queries to manage database, teleport, update inventory, etc.

Just be ready to pay good $$$ for a server that you will be happy with, some of these bargain dedicated server deals are oversold to hell. Packet loss and weak CPU will kill your gaming experience. Same can be said about the game hosters, they typically oversubscribe their servers as much as 12 to 1. On a busy weekend you may start experience lag or random disconnects, you now know why. There is no way I could break even selling 40 slot server for $30 a month if I assumed client gonna use all their slots, thus they jam in 10 to 12 instances per machine to make money. Its all bout how much overselling you can get away with.

I too am interested in a solution for some kind of admin map.

However, I am running a server with HFB Servers. I know how to view the data manually but having an interactive map with player/vehicles locations is incredibly useful.

Bliss Admin Panel by SkyNetDev

I'm using this on both my private servers. Pretty easy to setup, and very useful. If you host your server with a third-party, you'd need to check with them to see if you can use this, as it requires certain software and setup.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've already downloaded it and snooped around. How would I go about using this on a host like HFB Servers? Is it possible?

Also, while on the topic of live maps and server control, I feel I should mention something I stumbled across last night. I found an excellent admin tool on Github -

I love this admin control panel. My only complaint is that I'm unable spawn vehicles on the live map like I was able to do on the DayZ.ST map, that is such a great feature. This tool is definitely worth checking out, I hope people continue to update it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've already downloaded it and snooped around. How would I go about using this on a host like HFB Servers? Is it possible?

It all depends on how much access/flexibility the provider gives you. If they let you install Apache and PHP on the server, plus give you the ability to do custom modifications to your database, then you should be fine. I'm not familiar with any of the DayZ server hosting companies, as I just host my own out of my house.

Hey! Sorry for the long delay in replying!

Just wanted to say, thanks SOOO much for a detailed reply!

I really appreciate you taking the time you did to respond, so cheers!

I am used to hosting a few sites here n there, however usually run on Centos (so quite used to poking around via ssh), however Windows hosting is a bit new to me - That said, I am okay with editing MySQL (basics!) and basic PHP, so hopefully i will be able to get my head around it all!

Re: Servers, would you say the following spec (dedicated) would run a couple of DayZ server instances at once, or would that be pushing it?

• Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-2600 Quadcore
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1 Gbit OnBoard (connected at 100 Mbit or 10Mbit after 10TB)
Cheers!

Mike.

Setting up bliss on a windows 2008 R2 server is as as easy as pissing on your shoe in a public bathroom. Of coarse I have experience working with the servers in the hosting industry for the last 15 years so my opinion could be different from someone who is used to GUI control panels.

In essence you need to know how to use command prompt and basic administration of a windows server. I write my own scripts so automating various tasks is trivial plus I have complete control over DayZ instances that no control panel like TCAdmin can ever deliver. The best part not having to wait for some hoster to get around supporting maps my crew want to play, we just load up what we need and roll. Most of the mapping software like DayZMap can be found here, its an open source PHP site that you setup in IIS and interface to the MySQL database the hive runs on. Same goes for DayZ load out editor. The rest is done though SQL queries to manage database, teleport, update inventory, etc.

Just be ready to pay good $$$ for a server that you will be happy with, some of these bargain dedicated server deals are oversold to hell. Packet loss and weak CPU will kill your gaming experience. Same can be said about the game hosters, they typically oversubscribe their servers as much as 12 to 1. On a busy weekend you may start experience lag or random disconnects, you now know why. There is no way I could break even selling 40 slot server for $30 a month if I assumed client gonna use all their slots, thus they jam in 10 to 12 instances per machine to make money. Its all bout how much overselling you can get away with.

Back