Instructions

uzisuicide

I am posting here because my most recent attempt to install a DayZ private server was Pwnoz0r's. I love that people are taking their rime to build these server packages for us, so please do not take offense from my post, to be offensive is certainly not my goal. I'm going to give a small amount of personal information here because most game server admins would find pwnoz0rs installation tutorial straight forward. I have been a software analyst for many years and have written scripts and edited code for larger applications since the inception of my IT career. This is important because I am not someone new to computing. That being said, I find the tutorial "easy to follow", yet, to my knowledge, missing some main points. I have only run one DayZ server (for around 2 weeks) prior to my attempt at pwnoz0rs and a few others server packages. The ConanHUN package literally does everything for you. You run a batch file and change the name of your server. The server runs flawlessly from that point own. I had major issues implementing vehicles in Conan's server, so I started searching for a new package. pwnoz0rs package has phenomenal reviews across the interwebs, so why wouldn't I give it a shot... The issue is, there are , I believe, many assumptions made in the tutorial. You already have a database created for instance, maybe more than this, who knows!? I create a database and name it hivemind, create a user dayz, and set dayz's password to dayz. From the files in pwnoz0rs package this seems logical. I constantly get errors connecting to the DB. I have used the information for the database from the .ini file in the packages SQL directory. The connection fails, yet the server monitor is launched. This doesn't help me... Am I missing files? Who knows!? After watching a pwnoz0r setup video I realize that I don't have to have all the client files with my server files, great! Which files do I need, who knows!? When you run the server in a "non" client/steam installed directory, where do you store the maps? Is this one of the issues, could it be that I have no maps installed, who knows!? My first server used xamp and was setup automatically. Do I need to have apache and PHP installed with MySQL, who knows!? I realize that there are a lot of you that have run DayZ servers since the game emerged, however, some of use are just starting. There are a lot more questions about what game files are actually needed to run a server. I just don't want this post to be much longer because it's less likely that someone will take the time to read it. What i'm getting at is simple, you cannot assume that we all know what is needed beyond what you tell us. If someone would explain the whole process, I too would be fine the next time I grab server files and find that the tutorial is only half the battle of setup. If someone could type out or create a video of the FULL process, from installing the dependency applications, setting up the DB, and anything else involved that I wouldn't know, all the way through to launching and connecting to the server. That would be awesome. I know I can't be the only person that finds most server package instructions lacking.

Pwnoz0r, you are awesome. Thanks for your work. Admin community, you are awesome. Share the knowledge. Not everyone has done this in the past.

Another thing that amazes me is that there are several questions asked about tweaking settings that I can answer from doing it on my previous ConanHUN install. How are these people getting the server running to have the question in the first place!? Some of the questions are so straight forward that I, for the life of me, can't see how they managed to get the server running.

I have to be missing something very simple...

Back