internet speed required

fatdaz

noob here wanting to start a private hive,
computer spec not a problem, but what internet speeds are required?
thanks
daz

I think the standard recommendation is 10MB/s up and down, but realistically you won't need this much, especially if you aren't running a full 50 players the whole time. keep in mind though for your monthly bandwidth cap that you may use up to 2TB a month.

2TB seems way to high. I run 3 servers that hit 50 players each most nights. Last month I only used about 1 TB per server, so 3TB in total.

2TB seems way to high. I run 3 servers that hit 50 players each most nights. Last month I only used about 1 TB per server, so 3TB in total.

I agree, I think the 2TB number came from back when there was a real shortage of servers so they were full all day every day. Still if he's planning on running a server from home or something it is a consideration being that most contracts have 250-300GB a month caps.

10 or 20 Mbit should be proper for a privatehive, but the most performance is gained from a fast cpu (3Ghz +) and a high IO rate (SSD disk!)

in comparission to other games arma2 leans most on CPU and I/O instead of bandwith and memory :)

I'm running on a 24Mbps down, 3Mbps up. 30 Slots, Dual Xeon x5670 (12 cores, 24 threads), 12GB DDR3 2000MHz and a 500MB/s SSD. Apart from the occasional hiccup, it's perfectly fine.

I'm running on a 8Mpbs down, 1Mbps up. 15 slots, dual core 3.33 2 GB DDR2 400MHz and a 550MB/s SSD (IO 80000) (OCZ Vertex 4 SATA3 but on SATA2 x'D) No one lag x'DDDD

My server runs great on 30down/10up on a 3.4GHz dual core i7 2600k, 8GB 1663MHz hyper-ram, with a standard 7200rpm hdd. I plan on upgrading to an SSD at some point (not just for server benefit though) - if I do I will note the performance increase.

I usually have ~15 people who say connection is good. Only person that ever gets any lag is me, and that's not very often at all and only causes screen to freeze for a split second

Back