Locking doors, or gates.

Calzaghe

Hello, I've been slowly editing more, and more of my Taviana map with some friends, and we'd really like to make lockable doors, or gates. I saw that there is a builder mod, but that looks both buggy, and far more into "bases" than we want to go in Dayz.

Does anyone have a very simple solution to locking doors, or gates?

A very simple solution is simple out of reach. There are however very complicated solutions.

A couple of questions you might want to answer first:
Once a door is locked what unlocks it?
Who can lock doors?
Door locking isn't persistant (yet!) so what happens during a server restart?

Fire off some answers and I can hopefully point you in the right direction

I was thinking that players could claim an area I make before hand, like a small bunker, after they loot an item that unlocks it. They can only lock it when they leave it too, maybe. If somebody shoots them, or chucks a grenade in there, that's OK, just so they have their little "locked area". As far as not being persistent; That's good! I don;t want people locking shit up, and then logging in once a week in their little base.

Basically I'm looking for a way for players to have one place, like a gun safe almost where they have a key of some sort. Now if they get killed, I would like the person who killed them to have access to that base/safe by looting the original owners corpse . Can you have an in game item that gives access to a certain area, and can be looted like other gear?

Door locking isn't persistant (yet!) so what happens during a server restart?

It is on my server, i had to move it server side though, since people like to just steal it.
Basically, we can now use itemradio to remotly control the gates open/close and it is persistent.

I cannot share it since i got ripped off by mrjei from tunngle, but thats a whole other story.
Sorry Calzaghe.

Didn't Mrjei pull his scripts from diamyo21?

Easiest way to stop people "stealing" is to just release it so everyone knows it's yours and can easily just credit you, trying to over protect your scripts and info means that people can just take your work and claim it as your own. There's always going to be one clown that trys to credit grab work, people who steal code generally can't write it, so there's not really much issue there. Signing code is a good way to stop people taking it. The more complex stuff I write has every function, array, item written with Graz. eg : fn_grazdynamictemp.sqf. graz_item_list. It's a good way to differentiate code when your modding too :)

A quick look at your site shows you don't make any money, so I'm unsure of what interest you are trying to protect? If it's simply reputation, you'll get more rep from solving a big issue like this, since. It's a question that might be better suited to a different thread however. :p

I made a fair amount of head way in custom bases and such, but I never got it to a interactive state.

An item is interesting, it's best as an optional addon though. So you make an item (just has to be a lootable item like soda cans really) called itembasekey.

I belive the easiest way to check is
Code:
_grazitems =  magazines player
if ("itembasekey" in _grazitems ) then {insert your unlock code or animation};

You could also put an acitvation trigger with the condition being
Code:
"itembasekey" in magazines player = true

If you want to write a script take a good look at Scripting Commands

It was about 3 months ago I did any work on my scrapped player bases so I don't think I can offer much more help!

I cannot share it since i got ripped off by mrjei from tunngle, but thats a whole other story.
Sorry Calzaghe.
Wait? Should I be able to get it from you instead of the guy who ripped you off? Anyway if you want to send me a PM, or if you want a small fee on Paypal for the working script, I'll do that. You can even edit it into my mission if you'd like! :)

Calzaghe.

I feel sorry for you , i know you have been searching for some time, but i just can't help with coding anymore.
I just work on my own server these days, this way i can only rip myself off.

I don't want to get into it all now but i really only help people in editing missions and worlds and offering the odd bit of help to official dayz code github, for everything else i just don't bother as much as i want to.

@graz no.. mrjei got it from us and passed it to daiymo, etc, big thread about it, we spoke to daimyo though, so it's all good, on top of this someone stole our website design (which isn't great) then changed the colours and claimed it as theirs, then asked me to provide them some donation codes to hook into DB, LOL... it's sorted now, it's just how it was done.

Calzaghe.
I feel sorry for you , i know you have been searching for some time, but i just can't help with coding anymore.
I just work on my own server these days, this way i can only rip myself off.

I don't want to get into it all now but i really only help people in editing missions and worlds and offering the odd bit of help to official dayz code github, for everything else i just don't bother as much as i want to.
No worries man, and I'm sorry that you werent given credit. Listen I'm on the west coast of the USA, so I doubt we actually see the same players. If you change your mind you can still PM me. I'm really not trying to code a bunch of stuff, I just enjoy Dayz, and the group I play with (long term group from many games).

Again I'm not interested in a whole Base mod, just the locking doors. I read through the Daimyo, Mrjei thread on Tunngle, and it looks very buggy, and it appears in need of some support. I'm also not sure we want to build bases on our server. Hey at least we did get some K-9 units thanks to Pixel here on Open Dayz! I also have some -BTC- content in my mission.pbo, but all the credit goes to the original authors, as personally I'm 99% gamer, 1% coder/editor.

I agree fully with Graz. By releasing what you've done. You earn the credit of being the creator. But by hiding it away and having it stolen and claimed by others, they steal the many thanks YOU deserve. Either the community becomes everyone for themselves and hides their stuff (thus not a community) or we support & acknowledge those who do all the awesome stuff we have available today. I know that if I had one place I could get all the diff things people created and tweak them to my liking, I'd add every single one of their names to the loading screen giving full credit to THOSE people & their hard work and not to myself... I'd much rather give credit to the real writer and not some thief stealing work.

I am not trying to pass myself off as a "coder". my group just plays games, and were looking for features. I am now running a Dog script, and it says at load in "Dogs by Pixel". I don't see how anybody can NOT share thier code in a FREE game. Are we not all just playing our favorite Zoombie shooter? Are any of us making money? What is at stake here, really? I just play the game, man.

Anyway, HumbleUK said " I feel sorry for you, Calzaghe" Well that's funny, because I feel sorry for him.

I am not trying to pass myself off as a "coder". my group just plays games, and were looking for features. I am now running a Dog script, and it says at load in "Dogs by Pixel". I don't see how anybody can NOT share thier code in a FREE game. Are we not all just playing our favorite Zoombie shooter? Are any of us making money? What is at stake here, really? I just play the game, man.

Anyway, HumbleUK said " I feel sorry for you, Calzaghe" Well that's funny, because I feel sorry for him.

I think you misunderstood me, I am just like you - I have no real talent. I use what is available to me and I leave a thank you on the loading screen to whoever created the features. I don't make money off my server (in fact its the opposite)... I don't see people making money from their cool features.... Why not share? Isn't the idea to HAVE FUN... and try out diff things.... And if people are afraid of FEATURES being the big reason people play somewhere.... Well... GL with that idea, it has a lot to do with the community that forms around a server and STAY... ppl come to test new things out, but that's not why they stick around.

It's a shame that "protecting" code is such a huge deal when nothing of notable value other than being the only server with X feature is on the line. I do what I do on my server to create an environment that my playerbase would enjoy. I'm not good at it, cuz I have to look for things made by others, and hope multiple things don't clash but whatever, some people are stubborn.

Multiplying the fun factor. That's the end goal of all these cool features. Because at the end of the day, that's why we play games or do what we do.... And to me, the more people using your code should be a point of pride not anger.

Back