Still having AI Patroling issues

Jack Marslow

Heya Sarge,

I've been watching how my AI behave alot lately. With them displayed on my map with a markers script I can really see whats going on. Unfortunately I am still having some issues with AI static patrols. It seems some groups will get "stuck" They walk to the edge of their marker and just stop. Sometimes they move a few meters this way or that, but they gravitate towards buildings and then just stop. I assume they want to go into the buildings or something because they approach the sides of the markers closer to buildings and then just stare off in the distance at them. Any suggestions?

I am on the same thing at the moment. I setup a scenario where bandit and military AI are respawning in a relative small area. This should ensure that there are fights all the time.

What i spectated was that after a while (depends, sth between 1-3 hours) the wypoint finding becomes weird, the behaviour becomes weird.

Think we found another couple of bugs in upsmon here, that thing is a beats to debug and rewrite though ... doing that while we speak.

I am aware of the following "bugs":

- sometimes upsmon sets the waypoints OUT of the defined area, which leads to groups getting stuck
- there's an "anti-stuck" function that is buggy
- respawning fails in some special conditions

Will check if the functionality to get into buildings for cover is bugged as well.

Cheers, Sarge

If there's anything I can do to help let me know sarge. Using my marking script I can really see what these guys are doing. I've watched them do it 3 times in a row to confirm they are always doing it, they will spawn, and start walking towards the same area everytime, then get stuck once they reach their destination. I've tossed zombies out infront of them, and they kill them and go back to being stuck. I've killed the groups and waited for them to respawn with the same results. I've walked into their sight lines, let them attack, and then backed off, same thing. I think I will add a building into the middle of their patrol areas and see if that causes them to use the building for cover and then resume patrol.

This isn't on 1 - 3 hours of normal behavior btw, it is instant. Reset server/ kill group. Group spawns. Group walks for about 1 minute. Group gets stuck. It's always in the same place, so the waypoint must be getting set at the same place. This is what leads me to suspect they are trying to get to a building. Unable to complete the order the group sits at the edge of the patrol area.

in my next release i enabled a ton of UPSMON debug logs. that will help a bit to be able to figure out what they do and why they do it.

What you can do, if you want to, check the UPSMON.sqf file. search for "building" ... you will find a couple of entries where UPSMON tries to put out a debug message, which fails cause it tries to send via sidechat.

You can change that to diag_log and check your server rpt.

one example:

if (KRON_UPS_Debug>0) then {diag_log format["KRON_UPS_Debug: Group %1: movetonearestbuilding",_grpid]};

another one:

if (KRON_UPS_Debug>0) then {diag_log format["KRON_UPS_DEBUG: Group %1: Moving to nearest buildings",_grpidx]};

cheers, Sarge

Back