[Tutorial] How To Keep DayZ Editing Files Organized

jasonpointer

Valued Member!
Organize your dayz folders
dayzfilescleanlogo.png

Since many of us likes to edit out DayZ files and sometimes not everything works and only then you realize then you didn’t backup you file before you edited. (Trust me we have all been there)
Well here is how to keep things organized (the way I would do it)
NOTE: This may take some time but you will be glad you did this.
NOTE2: To unpack your PBO i will make a guide on this soon.
First make a new folder where ever you like (My documents is best) and call it “DayZ”
dayzfolder.png

Now make a new folder for each version (eg 1.7.6.1, 1.7.7, 1.7.7.1)
versionfolders.png

Now make a few folders of the map names you use
mapfolder.png

Now I’m going to show you an example for the Mission folder but you do the same way for the other folders.
Now add 2 folders called “Current Edit” and “Untouched”
addedituntouchfolder.png

Now place your “Original DayZ mission PBO” in “Untouched folder”
Copy your mission.pbo in the “Current Edit” folder and unpack and should look something like this
currenteditfolder.png

In my case open the new folder that got unpacked “dayz_mission”
and here you can see your files and ready for editing.
insidemissionfolder.png

When done editing go back to the current edit folder just repack it and upload it to your DayZ Server and test it out and make sure it works 100%.
When done just close the game and back to the folder and copy that mission pbo to a new folder dated like below
adddates

I strongly suggest you make a notepad file with information like what you scripts it has and any notes like bugs or who has admins to an Admin toolscript and so on…
datenotesfolder.png

Here is a few more screenshots to give you an idea what to do with the other folders
orgfolder.png

battleyefolder.png

codefolder.png

orgfolder.png

serverfolder.png

Hope this Helps

very good idea jason, going to get to work setting mine out like this :)

Thank you,

Yes this has helped me so many times. as i do go back and forth and even went back 2 weeks ago as one old script was causing issues to my newer scripts and was able to pin point where i gone wrong.

One life saver also, dropbox. Even if you dont use it for cloud syncing it can save your life when you forgot to take backup.

One life saver also, dropbox. Even if you dont use it for cloud syncing it can save your life when you forgot to take backup.

yep already back mine up on the cloud.

Always better to be safe then throwing your keyboard through the monitor.....Ant throwing your mouse till the cable whiplash the mouse to ya nuts...(been there)

Back