Add your own custom sounds

How do I add a sound to the lobby? I have a cool voice saying Welcome Back, I want to put that into the lobby when someone joins my server. I haven't found a tutorial on that one yet.

I can't seem to get any of these solutions working.

I am trying to have my mates band playing on the radio. I want to add a sound trigger for this so when you approach a radio a song plays.

The method at the start of the forum, I have added all this and the trigger does not work. I have no errors what so ever in the report.

The method of packing and unpacking for the editor. I cannot get the mission file to load in the editor. It does not show the option.

So my question is has anyone encountered this before? I don't want to waste peoples time with all the details unless they have had this problem too. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

EDIT: I have the trigger working and the music now plays but the sounds is constant, it doe not get lower when I move away from it like other sound triggers do.

I can't seem to get any of these solutions working.

OK, first open up your MPmissions folder and unpack the mission.pbo (say its called dayz_1.Chernarus.pbo)

Open the folder dayz_1.Chernarus and create a folder within called fx (the name isn't important actually)
Within the fx folder place your mono sound in ogg format. Keep it under 100Kbytes in length for players with slow internet.

Let's pretend the sound file is called pipes.ogg

Now, in folder dayz_1.Chernarus you'll have a description.ext file.
Open this in a decent text editor like Notepad++.
Add the following code segment just under where it says
loadScreen = "\z\addons\dayz_code\gui\loadingscreen.paa";

Code:
class CfgSounds
    {

sounds[] = {pipesgalore};
    class voicepipes
    {
    name = "pipesgalore";
    sound[] = {"fx\pipes.ogg", db-20, 1.0};
    titles[] = {0, ""};
    };
  };

Now create a trigger within the 2D editor using the class name (in this case voicepipes to refer to it.)
It should look something like this in the final mission.sqm file.

Look under the class Sensors,

Code:
class Item1
        {
            position[]={11677.527,73.331459,9179.4229};
            a=100;
            b=100;
            activationBy="WEST";
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            expActiv="playsound ""voicepipes"";";
            class Effects
            {
            };
        };

If you wish to add more sounds then alter the description.ext code segment to list more sounds.
Here I've added a scream effect.

So the finished code most look like this:

Code:
class CfgSounds
    {

sounds[] = {pipesgalore,screamwoman};
    class voicepipes
    {
    name = "pipesgalore";
    titles[] = {0, ""};
    };

class voicescream
    {
    name = "screamwoman";
    sound[] = {"fx\screamwoman.ogg", db-10, 1.0};
    titles[] = {0, ""};
    }; 
    };

Then repack the dayz_chernarus folder to get it back into a .pbo to use it online.

To get into the 3D editor, just press Alt-E at first menu. It's not great as it moves buildings about (due to internal physics) and needs several restarts to ensure you're looking at the final edit.

I place objects using the 3D editor, then convert it to 2D using 3D_conv tool. But use the 2D editor to make triggers. That's the one from the Multiplayer menu. Don't try to make triggers in the 3D editor. These missions don't work when you convert it to 2D.

When you wish to 2D edit a mission, it must be placed in the:

C:\Users\Stuart\Documents\ArmA 2\MPMissions as a folder with the name of whatever.Chernarus (for example) and not as a pbo file.
Obviously use your login name instead of mine. :)

Hope this helps.

OK, first open up your MPmissions folder and unpack the mission.pbo (say its called dayz_1.Chernarus.pbo)

Open the folder dayz_1.Chernarus and create a folder within called fx (the name isn't important actually)
Within the fx folder place your mono sound in ogg format. Keep it under 100Kbytes in length for players with slow internet.

Let's pretend the sound file is called pipes.ogg

Now, in folder dayz_1.Chernarus you'll have a description.ext file.
Open this in a decent text editor like Notepad++.
Add the following code segment just under where it says
loadScreen = "\z\addons\dayz_code\gui\loadingscreen.paa";

Code:
class CfgSounds
    {

sounds[] = {pipesgalore};
    class voicepipes
    {
    name = "pipesgalore";
    titles[] = {0, ""};
    };
  };

Now create a trigger within the 2D editor using the class name (in this case voicepipes to refer to it.)
It should look something like this in the final mission.sqm file.

Look under the class Sensors,

Code:
class Item1
        {
            position[]={11677.527,73.331459,9179.4229};
            a=100;
            b=100;
            activationBy="WEST";
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            expActiv="playsound ""voicepipes"";";
            class Effects
            {
            };
        };

If you wish to add more sounds then alter the description.ext code segment to list more sounds.
Here I've added a scream effect.

So the finished code most look like this:

Code:
class CfgSounds
    {

sounds[] = {pipesgalore,screamwoman};
    class voicepipes
    {
    name = "pipesgalore";
    titles[] = {0, ""};
    };

class voicescream
    {
    name = "screamwoman";
    sound[] = {"fx\screamwoman.ogg", db-10, 1.0};
    titles[] = {0, ""};
    };
    };

Then repack the dayz_chernarus folder to get it back into a .pbo to use it online.

To get into the 3D editor, just press Alt-E at first menu. It's not great as it moves buildings about (due to internal physics) and needs several restarts to ensure you're looking at the final edit.

I place objects using the 3D editor, then convert it to 2D using 3D_conv tool. But use the 2D editor to make triggers. That's the one from the Multiplayer menu. Don't try to make triggers in the 3D editor. These missions don't work when you convert it to 2D.

When you wish to 2D edit a mission, it must be placed in the:

C:\Users\Stuart\Documents\ArmA 2\MPMissions as a folder with the name of whatever.Chernarus (for example) and not as a pbo file.
Obviously use your login name instead of mine. :)

Hope this helps.

You have explained this really well but it still wont work for me. I don't have any Dayz stuff in my MPMissions folder, at all. I do however have @Dayz folder which is full of PBO files.

I managed to get a custom sound playing after adding the sound config inside the Dayz_sfx.pbo. I had my mates band play a song at a certain location. What I am trying to do though is have my mates song play on the radio, so it needs to be a sound source rather than a trigger so that the volume and location of the sound is relative to the players position.

As I cannot find or use PBO files in my editor I cannot test it before adding to the server (I host with Vilayer). The only files I get through the editor are mission.beidi and mission.sqf. Also the 2D and 3D editor are in the same place editing the same file. If I understand the above correctly then you have a different way of editing.

I apologise if I am confusing the matter, I am quite new to this.

Back