Arma 3 server requirements?

Quarterbreed

I got a old pc kicking around but i dont think it could run a small map, once i learn how to work the editor i wanted to make a small DM map to host, maybe 10-12 slot

Box in the closet specs

Amd athlon 3800+ dual core 3800+ @ 2.4ghz
3gb ram
Sata hd
Fiber Op internet

We hosted an A3 server last night and it uses quite a bit of CPU, It was maxed on a dual-core @ 3.20 GHz but the RAM never went over 2 GB
It also seems to use a fair bit of bandwidth, 12 players online used a steady 10 Mbit (1250 KB/s) outbound but inbound was next to nothing.

No doubt as the game progresses it'll be less of a resource hog but for now it's quite heavy.

You can find body-removal and vehicle-crash-removal scripts on BI's forum, which will greatly improve performance.
We actually run a Arma III server from a VM on a friends on mines desktop. Its running on a i7 3770k @ 3.8Ghz.
We only use 2 cores and 3GB RAM for the VM, but as mentioned before, it uses next to nothing RAM and the CPU cores never gets above 60%.

Tbh its the internet thats the most important, we have a 100/10 mbit line and its no way near maxing it out, like said its between 10 and 15 mbit and we NEVER run it with more then 25 slots.

Ive yet to see a stabil server with more then 30 players, the software simply doesnt like it yet. So run low slot servers, max 20, and that hardware should be fine.

Any coop map with AI will use a huge amount of CPU but any missions with no AI use very little CPU.
Just tried Stapos Ultimate Team Death Match and that was a blast :)
40 players online was using 9 Mbit :eek: Good job we get unmetered bandwidth or hosting these could work out very expensive.

Well I setup my instance a week ago, generally runs full @ 64 people (did have it at 65 but crashed more) haven't managed to max out the CPU but I will say it prefers one core just like arma2 does, it will sometimes use the others but not how you'd expect.

Memory is nothing, even with maxmem at the limit of 2047 I haven't seen it ingame go past ~500-600meg of use, the instance generally crashes before then ;)

If you're planing on hosting this from your home PC don't, we sit at around 16Mbps (out) and 4.8Mbps (in) with 64 players, you do get the occasional idiot that will DDoS your server as well.

Back