Caa1 Project works in Arma3

nice, now if some one can email the guys at BI and ask if the community can use assets from CAA1 in A3 then all the content is far game(for everyone equally).

As far as I understand it they don't work like that. From what I gathered they gave .kju ONLY the approval to publish Caa1, it was not ever a "all this stuff from arma 1 is open and free for all". The ONLY assets that are governed by that super open EULA is the sample assets, which Caa1 is NOT included.

Thats why Caa1 was moved to the "orphaned" project section. Getting the approval from BI to modify their source or decompiled content, or to repackage it is not easy and it's done on a case by case basis from what I've heard so far in PMs on BIforums... For example BI might reply to me:

"thanks for your email you/the community can reopen the Caa1 project with it's original goals now set for A3, however you MAY NOT repackage the assets or the map for a "standalone" mod"

If they do we are technically boned even though the project lead has said we are fine to do what we're doing.

I've sent a PM to THE guy that will make the decision, but he's prob. pretty busy with A3 launch, so I'm not going to harass him about this now.

Frankly I think they have plans to do this themselves... there are some .sara files sneaking around in the background... At somepoint someone told me that Dean Hall mentioned in a techdemo that he loads previews in Sahrani because the map loads faster than others for some reason (though that could just mean he's doing what we are) I also think there are PILES of subtext all over the forums, youtube, the NRG, etc etc pointing to them doing a LARGE content carry over from the past. Which is also a pretty standard thing to do as a gaming co. Put out A2 with NO A1 stuff, see how bad the public wants it (clearly pretty F'ing bad) then release it with the NEXT version of the game IE A3.

I think that is what the "we're working on it" post is about regarding porting A1 A2 assets... AND if you watch ANY of the mod/dev videos they are constantly saying "this is only a TINY portion of what will be available"... My guess is they started doing a lot of this already.

Also right now no one needs any approval to do any of this... Caa1 is released to the public for people to do what they want with. BI might eventually telll you, Hey we made a better one yours is illegal now... but that's about it. As you've said hosting the game, modding it even isn't a big deal, it's repackaging and distributing... and even that they don't seem to care... pretty sure wasteland has a chernarus dl already... not 100pct sure though.

Should they grant me approval to open it again for any reason (A3 or my dayz version) ANYONE will be more than welcome to join the "new" caa1 team... although THAT will definately be coordinated over on BISforums.

Having said all that, the reason I approached them specifically had NOTHING to do with A3 that was just a sidebar... (I actually asked before A3 came out and wasn't really even thinking about how awesome A3 would be)

My main concern is them allowing me to repackage caa1 and sahrani for DayZ.... although obviously I'm pretty eager to see it in A3 as well...

I'm not so obsessed with the missions of A1 which is REALLY what the Caa1 project is about.

*Jesus I'm a wordy bastard...

Cliffs notes:

BI prob. WILL NOT grant blanket permission to use the assets from all of Caa1 however you please, on w'ever project you please. The way it works as I understand it, projects are approved which include certain assets, those packages can then be accessed by whoever, or whatever....

BUT... you CAN NOT break them up and redistribute them as you please...

Think i44 (both dayz and arma) they REQUIRE you dl several mod packs in order to work... but they only use SOME of the assets from that modpack...

Same goes for us on Sahrani currently.... We are making people dl and enable ALL of Caa1 even though we only need a small portion of it for DayZ Sahrani to work...

This is why I contacted BI directly for permission to use/repackage caa1, and at the same time offered to assist in the coordination of the re-opening of the project/package for completion in A2 and porting to A3.

** DAMN... and that's the short version :hammerhead)

I'm not saying I'm an expert... but why would i44 NOT have repackaged then???

They would have stripped out the CBA assets that they need and left the rest alone if that was an option.

Same goes for ACE, why would they package ALL those assets in total if they're only using bits and pieces...

Real world example is our mod.

You need to DL Caa1 which is almost 3GB when extracted, of that we use under 2Gb for sure if not less... but as far as I understand it we are not allowed to strip it out and repackage it because it creates confusion around who has done the work.

When I asked kju directly for permission to repackage he responded that it was fine with him but the actual approval MUST come from BI.

When I asked Invasion44 about using JUST the guns and maybe the vehicles for our mod, his responce was NO because you MUST take it ALL as a package, you can not pick bits and pieces... and that obviously there is already a DayZ i44.

I understand I could be a dick and do whatever I wanted... but what I think you don't understand is that DOES leave ANYONE who does that legally exposed... To BI

BI could choose to sue you (and win) or even just send a cease and desist, for violating THEIR copyrights....

If we don't get a reply regarding repackaging I'm going to test your theory though... I have express written permission from the original package maker even though he does not own the assets.... and making a 1-2gb dl instead of a 3-4gb dl for our Mod is a no brainer if it's allowed... I just don't think it is technically allowed by law, however BI CERTAINLY does not seem to be taking any action towards ANYONE so... I'd imagine it's safe.

Yeah you seem to be stuck on thinking that I think that individuals or I or anyone but BI OWN anything made from or for Arma... I don't. You can totally stop making that assumption in every reply to me...

I am concerned about pissing off long standing members of the Arma Modding community and THAT having negative impacts on my relationships with both the Arma modding community and BI...

Long term I am concerned about being the first guy to get sued since I have kids and wouldn't like getting sued by a big company when I'm clearly infringing upon their copyrights.

For your information I have JUST gotten an official reply from BI that basically says that Caa1 was not allowed, We are not allowed, NO ONE is allowed to modify their content...

So pretty sure all of these mods are either quietly approved behind closed doors (which I doubt), or simply NOT APPROVED but also not legally pursued by BI due to the clear benefit to them... BUT they DO have the option to...

I'm pretty sure unless there is some sort of statute of limitations for these laws BI could sue .kju, me, Stapo, Dean Hall and anyone else who's used any asset that's not in the public mod library and then repackaged/distributed it.

Lol Update to this, I've now been told go ahead Bohemia doesn't care about A1 assets at all. We/anyone can mod to their hearts content.

what do you want an email log?

Email them and ask.... that's what I did.

I asked for source files to Sahrani, they said sorry we can't not personal, technical issue... I went back and said we could likely work around the lack of source files and do it ourselves, and wanted him to confirm BI had no problem with our port of their map...

So essentially I asked for approval to use their map, mod their map in visitor, and mod multiple other A1 assets. I linked to our thread on here about DayZ Sahrani where you can see we've edited even an A2 hooker character model... further we haven't even technially "released" our work as yet.... and this is his response:

Thank you for your reply.

Of course we have no problem with this if all your work/modifications will be given up to games from Arma series.

Have a nice weekend

I've since then been having a back and forth with someone else at BI who is saying they will actually go into the archives and look for the source files I want...:
I was forwarded your messages and I think I can help you, but I would have to search in the archives. I was working on Sahrani so I kinda know what to look for. :)

I may get to the data in the course of next two weeks, and will keep you updated.

Best regards and good luck with your project,

Odd though I can't find the quote I was referring to in this exchange though... it might have been on the forums.. not sure.

Either way if they're ok with DayZ Sahrani they should be ok with just about anything from A1 getting used...

Back