Create my own map

There are several guides out there. Just try Google and you´ll find something in a short time. But keep in mind that map creation in ArmA is nothing that you do with snipping your fingers. It takes weeks of worktime AFTER you became familiar with the tools and it is something completely different to the map editor you´ve found in ArmA.

Most of the maps posted here on opendayz are just customized. The guys working on it are just changing loottables, adding new stuff etc. but never changing the terrain for example. The only one map creator who is involved in dayz is the guy who made Taviana.

Maybe this example will explain it a bit more :

You want to build a racing car from scratch. Here the guys are taking an existing car (e.g. a van) right from the street and putting some new stickers here and there, adding new lights, body-kit etc. But within it is still a van. It will not win any race.

Disclaimer : I do NOT say that the guys here are doing a bad work !!! I really appreciate this community.

So if you want to take on this challenge, i really wish good luck and really hope to see your new island here on opendayz. :)

Starting to create your own terrain is not an easy one. I have been doing it for months and i can only dream to create maps as interesting and as detailed as those of the likes of icebreakr and gnat... My advice, if your still trying to head in this direction is to head on over to Sgt Aces terrain tutorial, and after that download Bushlurkers geotypical terrain tutorial. You can google them both, but you will be installing and setting up/learning how to do it, for a good few months before you have anything you can play ingame, and then porting it to dayz is just a whole diffrent story. I wish you luck :)

Back