Crossbow Pistol

entspeak

So, after a crash course in Blender, I've just about finished the basic model of a handmade crossbow pistol. It's based on a how-to article by Edwin Love in Science and Mechanics back in 1963. I thought it would be cool if DayZ 2017 had a crossbow for a secondary weapon (especially if 2017 is incorporating 1.7.5.1).

ydISbhY.jpg

zCWOgNW.jpg

There are still some things I need to do to get the basic model done... get the binding wire around the bow, rework the ends of the cable and model the steel bolt. Then, it needs to be skinned, the various maps created and the different LODs created. I know next to nothing, but have been reading up, about weapons and ammo configs. I think it will inherit a lot from the regular crossbow.

This has been and will continue to be a learning experience. If you're interested in including it in the game, let me know.

This does look very nice to be added to 2017! I'll talk with shin about this, if he doesn't see it himself before I get the chance to.

nice work entspeak!

3ds max? If so, we can get it in game. The only tough part might be the hand anims, these are a bitch to configure in oxygen and arma modelling has some of the worst lack of documentation and tutorials ever (imho). We could use an existing one, but then you won't see all the pull back of the rubber tube and so forth. There are a few we could try though.

EDIT: I am a dumbass, must admit I don't know blender to well, but we can still have a try.

Send me a skype invte (all23down) and we can have a try. It might be a bit manic this week as we're leading up to going into test, so if I seem nonchalant, don't read it wrong, I am likely busy swearing at git while I try to merge all the branches.

I also always need help with modeling stuff, so there is always other things needed too, if you're up for it.

Cheers,
shin

Rubber tube? I don't understand.

I'm using Blender, Gimp and the BIS Tools. I agree about the arma 2 modelling tutorials... there are some decent ones for specific things and they've proven helpful to some extent, but there's nothing at all out there that could be considered comprehensive.

I think the current crossbow anim might work for reload. I mean, it would be great to have an anim that included the "goat's foot" cocking device... I can model that as well, but it might be overkill. The current crossbow, for example, always looks loaded even when there's no ammo. I'll have to take a look at the crossbow reload animation. And the basic pistol anim for holding it should work. I haven't gotten that far into the process yet. I've got a couple of O2 plugins for Blender and am looking into how they work exactly - they seem to give Blender some LOD stuff in addition to the ability to import/export O2 models. I wonder if I can create an animation in Blender that can be exported into O2. I'll look into that.

This is by no means ready to go into the game yet... I'll finish the modelling this week, hopefully - work has been busy. I'll install skype and get that set up, but we don't need to get into it this week - sounds like you guys are crazy busy. Since this is a DIY weapon, I also have some ideas for this in relation to your construction system (can a weapon be the final product of construction?)... some interesting possibilities. But, again, that's down the road... I've got to get the model done first. So, maybe next week sometime we can chat more.

Awesome you are working on this, can't wait to have it in the game.
Yeah, even if you'd finish it now, the implementation of it in-game would still take more time than we want atm (we're finishing up the update; don't want to start putting completely new stuff in); but we could implement this in the update after the one coming soon.

Back