Fatigue

entspeak

So as not to distract from the discussion on gdscei's sleep mechanic - where I brought this up originally, I thought I'd create a separate thread for this idea.

Currently, people are able to run and sprint to their hearts content; the only impact it has is on aiming. You do run a little slower after a bit, but not a lot. I think it would be a nice addition to have a fatigue system that impacts your ability to continue running, or, if the signs of fatigue are ignored for too long, make you pass out from fatigue.

First, here's how I think it would work:

You would see an energy meter that would constantly go down as you moved. The rate at which you moved, your stance, whether or not your weapon is raised and your blood level would determine how quickly the meter went down. Once the meter was empty, the icon would start flashing - this would mean that your character is on the verge of collapsing from fatigue. Once it's flashing, your running will be slowed to a lethargic jog... not much faster than walking and you won't be able to sprint. Leave it flashing for several minutes and it will go solid white and you will pass out.

I think the order of depletion (fastest to slowest) would be as follows:

Sprinting
Running crouched w/ weapon raised
Running crouched w/ weapon lowered
Running w/ weapon raised
Running w/ weapon lowered
Walking crouched w/ weapon raised
Walking crouched w/ weapon lowered
Rolling
Crawling
Walking upright w/ weapon raised
Walking upright w/ weapon lowered
Standing w/ weapon raised
Standing w/ weapon lowered

Lying prone with a weapon will not lower your energy, but it also will not rejuvenate your energy.

To give a sense of how long it should take to completely deplete energy, I think one should be able to sprint non-stop for 3 km before the icon starts flashing. You should be able to run non-stop with your weapon lowered for 6 km before it starts flashing. You should be able to walk upright non-stop with your weapon lowered for 16 km before it starts flashing. And, you should be able to stand non-stop with your weapon lowered for 8 hours. Of course, people will very rarely be doing only one of these non-stop for the full amount of time, but the effect will be cumulative - if you sprint for 2km, you won't be able to walk as far before the icon starts flashing as you would have if you hadn't done the sprint.

The stances for resting and rejuvenating energy would be (fastest to slowest) would be:

Sitting
Lying prone without a weapon
Crouching w/ weapon lowered

I have these in this order because it take longer to come out of a sitting position and you are more vulnerable than you would be if you were simply lying prone. Greater risk, greater reward. Sitting for two minutes should completely refill the meter. Of course, you don't have to sit for 2 minutes to be able to get the icon to stop flashing... it's like filling a vehicle with gas... the flashing will stop after a few seconds and then you will regenerate your energy at a rate dependent upon your stance.

Passing out will be what happens when you ignore the flashing fatigue icon for more than, say... 5 or six minutes. It doesn't have to be a long time unconscious... maybe 30 seconds, but you will only get the icon to back to flashing when you pass out, you will not regenerate your energy beyond that. So, when you come out of it, you'll get that 5 or six minutes to find cover and rest. A nightmare cutscene was mentioned in the sleeping thread... that could happen here, too... maybe flashes between being slightly aware of what's happening around you (like being eaten if the zombie you aggro'd runs up to your passed out figure).

If someone adminsters an epi-pen to you when your passed out, you will wake up immediately. But you should only be able to receive that once in an hour.

So, here's how this could make gameplay interesting:

First, if people want a really slow rate of fatigue, they will have to walk with their weapon lowered. Since this makes them a bit more vulnerable, they will have to be much more aware of their surroundings.

Second, they the same thing will apply to resting... which will get really interesting in a firefight. Imagine your icon starts flashing while your in combat and you have to duck into a room, crouch and lower your weapon to "catch your breath." Someone comes a second later and you have to raise your weapon, swing around a corner to kill them, so that you can go back to cover and continue to rest for a few more seconds in order to go back out with at least a little energy. It will add to the tension to a firefight.

Third, it will make people think twice before engaging someone. Do they have enough energy to take them?

Fourth, and probably the most interesting... because people will be tiring at different rates, it will make for some fascinating group dynamics... what do you do with the guy who needs to stop? Do you stop and take watch while he rests? Do you leave him behind? What if it happens when you're trying to outrun aggro'd zombies? Do you let him die?

I'm sure there are other elements of gameplay it will affect.

What do you think?

There IS currently a fatigue like system currently in the works. If you have seen the current video showcasing the current 'Sleeping Mechanic' along with a new 'Weight System' which include fatigue. By this, if you are currently holding alot of heavy items you will not be able to sprint for a very long time, in fact your character will end up passing out (leading you to be more vulnerable). The less you carry the further you can run flat out. There will not be an icon for it (as we dont want the enitre right screen to be cluttered with icons) and it will be more of a passive observence to your character to ensure your not being silly with running.

It is still a work in progress so some things may be added or it may just be fine tuned to give you exactly what you'd expect from the fatigue system. Hope this helped.

(if you HAVE seen the video then forgive my post and i'll make an added point of suggesting your ideas to the dev's as i think they're great)

Thanks, I hadn't seen the video. I like that weight will be a factor in fatigue. I also like that the animation is different from the bloodloss pass-out. I think it can still go farther, though, as I've described. People know when they're getting tired and often choose to ignore it. It would be cool if it were something that they could manage. Personally, I don't really like the sleep mechanic - I've explained why in that thread, so I guess my idea would be to have a fatigue meter rather than a sleep one - haha. ;) But, I have to say, I'm really impressed with the work you guys are doing... I wish I knew how to do it.

Could sleeping be used in real time where you log off for day and must place a tent and hit sleep.If your back on 2 hours later your still sleepy but if you get full 8 or more hours logged off your refreshed?

And stamina for me would be best if it slowed down the character more and more.So your packed light and you run at speed right now but as you place more stuff in your pack you slow down more and more.This will cause people who horde tons of supplies in their packs to actually have to fight back since when you run slower the infected can get more and more hits on you.I feel that the passing out is too extreme and will kill off alot of players.But I might be wrong and as you say the players need to judge their stamina and base off accordingly.

Could sleeping be used in real time where you log off for day and must place a tent and hit sleep.If your back on 2 hours later your still sleepy but if you get full 8 or more hours logged off your refreshed?

I would say that its not possible. even if it were, we wouldnt do that because thats actually dictating when the player should play the game. Also, this would require so much code and so much synchronization between server and client that its just not realistic.
It is a fantastic idea but lets just see what the update brings and how/if we can improve on the mechanics with the ideas you guys are giving forward ;)

Hellborn

My opinion of the fatigue system:
I dont really like the sleep feature, think its kinda pointless, putting up a tent, sleeping ( Yet the time of day stays the same) and i think it will just turn into a chore and not help immersion at all.
I think the best way to do this would be everytime you want to logout, you have to lie down and wait for about 20-30 seconds before you logout (Simulating sleep )., this would also help with combat loggers e.g a car is charging towards you , your only hope to escape is run to cover and hide, and not simply logout.
The fatigue system, sounds good its just there isnt much difference between all out sprinting and jogging , so i think this system will just mean that people dont sprint anymore.
I think if you wanted this too work youd have too either make sprinting a lot faster ( as it should be ).
Or have it so when your carrying more stuff your movement speed is reduced by x percent depending on how much your carrying.
I dont think the sprinting then rolling over and becoming vulnerable is very realistic. When someone is being shot at adrenaline kicks in and there unlikely just collapse and keel over after running a couple of feet with a heavy bag, If anything theyd be forced to walk and be panting a lot, and there weapon would be swaying everywhere.

Fatigue system?
This is turning into a Chinese MMO.
Korean and Japanese have already done away with them.

My opinion of the fatigue system:
I dont really like the sleep feature, think its kinda pointless, putting up a tent, sleeping ( Yet the time of day stays the same) and i think it will just turn into a chore and not help immersion at all.
I think the best way to do this would be everytime you want to logout, you have to lie down and wait for about 20-30 seconds before you logout (Simulating sleep )., this would also help with combat loggers e.g a car is charging towards you , your only hope to escape is run to cover and hide, and not simply logout.
The fatigue system, sounds good its just there isnt much difference between all out sprinting and jogging , so i think this system will just mean that people dont sprint anymore.
I think if you wanted this too work youd have too either make sprinting a lot faster ( as it should be ).
Or have it so when your carrying more stuff your movement speed is reduced by x percent depending on how much your carrying.
I dont think the sprinting then rolling over and becoming vulnerable is very realistic. When someone is being shot at adrenaline kicks in and there unlikely just collapse and keel over after running a couple of feet with a heavy bag, If anything theyd be forced to walk and be panting a lot, and there weapon would be swaying everywhere.

I'm going to be honest Mattyz this is a very constructive post and definitely struck a chord with me. I relayed what you said to the devs and spoke shin about what we can do. I cannot comment on the sleeping mechanic as that is yet to be tested and fully formed. I have however relayed wether or not 'sleeping' can be tied to 'logging out' and providing a countdown to logg out stopping combat loggers, so that was a very good suggestion!

Next about the fatigue system: it is not possible to reduce speed velocity by a %. The speed for the movements are fixed. (Standing) walking, running and sprinting cannot be changed on the fly over a duration. Same thing for crouch movements and prone movements. So it's not possible to be carrying heavy items and get slower and slower as you run/walk etc. HOWEVER i have suggested on a compromise, for example: when carrying an amount between ('x') weight and ('x') weight you have full access to all the movements (walk, run, sprint etc) BUT over a certain threshold (between a certain weight bracket mention before) you won't be able to sprint. If your load gets heavier your only able to walk etc. (hope that makes sense) similar to games like fallout3/oblivion where you become over-encumbered!

I am currently doing closed testing on this fatigue system (as well as other new features I cannot mention) and what we have so far IS really generous to the players ability to go mental with running however we'll see if we can implement this compromise :) hope I've been somewhat helpful to shed enough light onto this and share yours (and others) concerns regarding the new features. The developers are working REALLY hard to make everyone happy and hopefully everyone will be able to see the benefits with the finished product. Everything is still a work in progress currently :)

That would be pretty awesome if people carrying around 4 engines in their backpack were forced to walk. It makes ALL of the sense.

Back