Hosting method suggestions please

Althasil

Hi,

I'm really not sure if this falls into this;

WE ARE NOT A SUPPORT FORUM FOR ANY SERVER HOSTING COMPANY! IF YOU POST ANYTHING RELATED TO A HOSTING COMPANY YOU WILL BE PERMA-BANNED!

If it does, please remove and ignore this thread. I would rather not be perma-banned for my ignorance :)

I would like suggestions for setting up a server to handle as many players as possible without constant in-game lag or FPS drops. I currently have a server with a certain user-friendly hosting company (yes, I know you will mostly slate me), and have kept it for so long because it works, I've been able to add scripts, customise vehicle spawn locations, add buildings, etc. I figured it will be a big hassle moving everything around so I haven't looked into it. Don't get me wrong, I have numerous mission.pbo and server.pbo backups from every change I have made along the way and I back the database up regularly.

My biggest issue right now is that with default .pbo's on Taviana.com this UK-based, Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620, 12 Core @ 2GHz +HT, 48 Gigabytes RAM, 1gbit Dedicated Connection server cannot handle 50 players. At full load the FPS drops to around 0.5 - 2, so players experience the usual delay in installing vehicle parts, picking up items, player deaths, etc. (the usual). Now, I'm no expert so have no idea if this is because of poor config on the server, the general poor optimisation of Arma2 or (what I would assume to be) the database. With regards to the database, I keep it as tidy (free of any unnecessary rows in ALL tables) as possible.

My server hasn't been the most popular, so it has not always been full and therefore it has not been an issue, but as of late I have had to decrease the player cap to 40. It's not such a big deal really. 40 players still gives a good amount of player interaction. However, this is now becoming an issue and I'm getting pretty sick and tired of both the limitations of access given to me coupled with the lack/delay of reply/support.

From my understanding I should be looking at getting a dedicated server where the server and database are running on the same machine? It also my understanding that this will be a higher cost than that of a typical server host (which I fully accept). What I would really like to know is; How can/should I go about this? Are there any guides, or would it not be recommended for someone who is not totally confident in the process? Bearing in mind I have my server set up practically as I would like it to stay - I have my mission.pbo, my server.pbo and my database backups. Ideally, I would like to have restarts at 6 hour intervals and be able to allow 60 players in with minimal performance issues, but if I can only manage 40 that would be fine IF the performance is there.

TL;DR version

I'm willing to pay more money than I currently do if I can run a Taviana.com server with 40 (or more (preferably)) players and maintain a smooth performance. Please suggest where I should start looking.

Thanks for taking the time to read. If you can provide me with some useful advice then that's even better!

Back