Interested in making a map, where do I start?

Skoalify

I am interested in designing and creating my own map to submit to the DayZ community, I'm a very intellectual and patient learner with enough time on my hands to spare. However I don't know where to start, and would greatly appreciate the guidance in the right direction. If you guys have any suggestion/thoughts on where I can start, along with a few pointers, please let me know!

Hi
I've been designing my map now for quite a while.

First thing you need is the bi tools. There's plenty of tutorials on the web on how to install them. Then you need to learn how to use them. (Tutorials are on bi's web forums. I recommend bushlurkers tuts which actually can be found on his website bushlurker.com
I tell this to everyone not to discourage you but it is an extremely long process. I've got well over 200 hrs on my map and I'm finally getting to the portion of getting it to run dayz.

There are many things needed to be done in order to make a successful map.

One thing id advise is to start small. And try things out. Chernarus is like 16000x16000x meters or something like that. Don't go that big u'll never get it done. The map I'm making is 8100x8100 and still has many things needed to be done.

Also after you get the bi tools another great tool is world tools by shezan. It helps you populate the world with objects and trees and such without having to place each item by hand.

Anyway hope this helps
M1lkm8n

Hi
I've been designing my map now for quite a while.

First thing you need is the bi tools. There's plenty of tutorials on the web on how to install them. Then you need to learn how to use them. (Tutorials are on bi's web forums. I recommend bushlurkers tuts which actually can be found on his website bushlurker.com
I tell this to everyone not to discourage you but it is an extremely long process. I've got well over 200 hrs on my map and I'm finally getting to the portion of getting it to run dayz.

There are many things needed to be done in order to make a successful map.

One thing id advise is to start small. And try things out. Chernarus is like 16000x16000x meters or something like that. Don't go that big u'll never get it done. The map I'm making is 8100x8100 and still has many things needed to be done.

Also after you get the bi tools another great tool is world tools by shezan. It helps you populate the world with objects and trees and such without having to place each item by hand.

Anyway hope this helps
M1lkm8n

Great reply! Perhaps you have some links specific to what you are talking about? I searched up BI Tools but can seem to find anything relitave.

Oh also armaholic has some great guys that will help with map issues but me mindful when asking on there.

Don't mention the map is for dayz. They may tend to get uppity and close your thread. Just tell them your making a map for vanilla arma 2 lol

-edit
Actually forget asking on armaholic. On bi forums is actually a better place to ask since its their tools you'll be using.

May I add you on Skype if possible? If so, private message me your name - You're definitively someone I'd like to keep in close contact during my learning experience.

def i dont mind helping. I don't have Skype tho but my group has a teamspeak channel. Ill pm you the info when I get on the computer tonight.

-Edit
Oh I thought of a few more programs I used in creating my island.

Global mapper and google earth pro. Google earth pro is only a trial time program but if your using a real world local then you can wait till you need those satelite photos then use the program as its only a 14 day trial

Oh yea forgot that one. That should be a must. Makes editting terrain and importing in xyz so easy

Back