More cover

denpes

I'm currently using Sarge AI on a dayz 2017 server. Now, I maxed out all their qualities. And I like it a lot. It's even fun to watch how they react, search through buildings and use all kinds of tactics. Sometimes they even throw smoke granates as cover. :)

One thing that bothers me is the fact that AI is sometimes a bit careless. They will go in crouch position or sometimes even lie down., but they are not actively searching for cover if they are being shot at.

Since searching for cover is pretty standard in arma 2, would it be possible to implement it, and perhaps even make a configuration setting for that?

OR, Did I miss a setting for that?

It would make it a lot more difficult to defeat them.

Dunno if I ask too much. Thanks for the scripts ;)

The reason you see this might be the suppression reaction. In vanilla Arma 2, if you shoot CLOSE to AI, they will not go for cover, but simply stay where they are. What UPSMON does is to add the suppression functionality, so they get prone when being shot at (and loose some accuracy). I'll have a look if that can be optimized / triggered by a flag.

Sarge

Thanks for the answer. I have weird working hours atm, so i can't really check it out atm. Also, i probably don't have enough knowledge to test it out.

But it would be great if on detecting a player, they would search for cover, and fight from behind cover. and also move very stealthy.

Would Disabling UPSmon help? I know tactics like flanking, respect grid borders(?) won't be working anymore.

But currently, even with all values configured to the max, they are barely more then target practice. Well, not always, sometimes the combo of zombies and bandits can become a bit overwhelming. But when you meet a group somewhere alone, players can take a whole enemy AI group out with a makarov. ( in a situation where the player has cover from for example a tree, and AI hold position and use suppressive fire)

In that situation, I have more probs with regular arma AI, then UPSmon version.

what you can try (experimental) is pass the NoAI parameter to upsmon.

I am reworking the whole thing, trying to get a balance between cover / flanking and suppression reactions, getting there, but it takes time.

disabling UPSMON is something i tried and do a lot for testing, there's even a parameter for my SAR_AI calls for that .. (noupsmon). For this to fully work i would need to implement patrol waypoints though in addition to UPSMON, which i didnt do up til now.

So in essence - UPSMON needs a major rewrite, big parts of that i have already done (respawn, vehicle AI, fixed a ton of bugs), some parts still need to come.

Since the sailing season here in Switzerland started 3 weeks ago, and i am actively racing championships, my time at the weekends became more limited then in march and april, so things take a bit more time.

cheers, Sarge

PS: I assume you upped the skill levels already to get some harder AI.

Thanks, I will give that "NoAI parameter" A try.

Btw, i corrected my previous post a bit. Because AI is only target practice when the player has cover and the enemy AI has not, which then basically leaves them standing in the open uncovered.

And yes, I pretty much configured all their qualities up to the max. I only use bandits, because survivors and soldiers would be an easy source for getting gear.
And these are the bandit settings for "leader, soldier and sniper", I've set:

["aimingAccuracy",0.90, 0.10], // skilltype, <min value>, <random value added to min>;
["aimingShake", 0.90, 0.10],
["aimingSpeed", 0.80, 0.10],
["spotDistance", 0.90, 0.10],
["spotTime", 0.90, 0.10],
["endurance", 0.90, 0.10],
["courage", 0.90, 0.10],
["reloadSpeed", 0.90, 0.10],
["commanding", 0.90, 0.10],
["general", 0.90, 0.10]

Good luck with the championship!

Back