Private Home/Test Box

Rossymond

Staff member
Hi guys, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a guide/helping hand on the best method of creating a test server from a spare PC?

I've found several guides but they all seem to be different. I just want something I can play around with and test my modifications without consistently playing around with my game server.

I've got a reasonable PC, actually approx the same spec I play with, to use for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Rossymond

Reactions: Fox
If you want to make it a bit more professional, get VMWare workstation and setup a VM. Then you can install your server in there, and connect from your client via the internal VM network.

That's as close as you can get to a real dedicated server environment. If your PC is decent and has enough RAM, theres no performance impact. In theory you could even setup a couple of VMs and test multiplayer stuff like that (1 VM = server, the others = clients).

cheers, Sarge

Hey Sarge is there a way to install onto my vms without actually downloading steam and 20gb of arma files every time?
I've got windows VMs set up for other stuff, and I would move my test server to a VM to do proper multiplayer testing if it weren't for the massive download.

just copy the files. does work without a problem. No need to start the arma2 server via steam.

switch off BE for a start and the checks in your server config.

just copy the files. does work without a problem. No need to start the arma2 server via steam.

switch off BE for a start and the checks in your server config.

Does this enable us to perform multiplayer testing via a number of VM's without buying multiple copies of Arma 2 CO?

Does this enable us to perform multiplayer testing via a number of VM's without buying multiple copies of Arma 2 CO?
You can allow duplicate serials to connect, in the config files.

@Sarge - literally just copy the directory over? I'll give it a shot! I figured there would be some registry changes from the install that I would need to deal with - serial numbers or whatnot.

afaik there's only the serials entry in the registry. And that can be worked around as you stated.

I had a pop at this, managed to get everything working well until I get "waiting for host" and it hangs.

I tried DayZCC, that gave me errors while trying to install MySQL and something else, was running as admin.

I tried the manual methods with pwnozors latest pack, and the waiting for host error won't budge.

Any ideas?

Do you have it working locally? Like not on a VM?

stuck on waiting for host could be a bunch of things really, something is going wrong, check your RPT logs. Did you start with a fresh mission file /dayz_server.pbo?

The server is running through a VM. A fresh install of server files from github.

Wow, just checked the logand theres a feck load of errors. I just copied my arma2 install and allowed the same CDkey more than once, but it doesn't seem to like that very much.

I think i'll download a fresh copy from steam tonight and try again on a clean "proper" install. See what crops up then.

shouldnt be needed.

Make sure that you can start the basic Arma 2 OA game in the VM before trying anything else.

Which VM software are you using ?

No standard OA, it throws an error for failure to decrypt headers on some addon files, then throws bad CD key. That's why I thought a fresh install would cure it. Any suggestions you may have? Please excuse my lack of experience with all this.

Edit : Sorry, using VM workstation

you need to at least copy the arma reg entry section that holds the keys into your new registry for that to work.

omg this is exatcly what i'm trying to do currently ,but failed using with vmware-player. :(

ok i managed it with the workstation version right now but cant connect to it from outside, need help please !

Make sure that under edit/virtual networks you have a VMNet enabled/setup.

Try this until you can ping your VM from your host computer.

if you can ping it, check the ports for Arma in your VMs firewall and open them / close them where needed.

Sarge

Back