Server Side vs. Client Side Mods

I've been trying to find the answer to this question on this forum as well as on Bohemia's scripting wiki and having no luck. Hopefully someone here can answer it for me.

What files can be updated on the server without clients having to download them?

I know that the mission.pbo is a pure server side modification only as I have some custom mods in it already. Can I update dayz_code.pbo as a server side only mod? Anything else server side only?

Thanks in advance for any infoz.

Mods that are run purely on the server can be installed into dayz_server.pbo to avoid having users download unnecessary files. Mods such as base building or self-bloodbagging need to be installed on the client side, so they must be installed in the mission file.

None of the files in @dayz can be modified unless you either plan on playing with verify signatures off (a huge security risk) or making your own DayZ mod. Think of the files inside @dayz like a "textbook" where every player (students) and the server (teacher) has their own copy. If you modify your own copy of the textbook, you're not going to change the the contents of the next class' lesson, only our own book.

Buttface mostly had it, but there is one other point -- Most of the code in @dayz is initialized by the init.sqf in the mission. By copying the files you want from @dayz to the mission and changing the paths in init.sqf you can force the client to run your edited version of the scripts. Read the install directions for most any of the scripts here for examples of how to do that.

Herp I forgot about overriding files in the mission pbo. I just redefine the functions in my init.sqf.

Got it, thanks. My next question was about overriding functions with redefined ones but you answered that too. :)

I've got self bloodbags running in mission.pbo so it's all server side.

Is there a way to create public event handlers and public variables on the fly or will I need to move those definition files into mission as described above?

So, I've managed to move all my map additions (a whole lot of them) to the server PBO and updated the calls in server_functions.sqf. Works great...if I'm understanding this correctly, most scripts can be packaged the same way and function as if they were in the mission PBO? Are there any limitations?

Back