Sleeping mechanic for 2017 - your suggestions!

gdscei

Valued Member!
I'm working on making a sleeping mechanic for 2017 whereby you need to sleep every so often in a tent, otherwise there'll be negative side effects. This mechanic is planned for a new version of 2017 (past 1.1).

Please give your suggestions on this! :)

Dunno if it's possible, but it would be weird if you sleep for your whole day in 10 seconds or so. It could be cooler if it requires you to log off next to the tent and then the rest could be accumulated while you're offline. Though that would probably be way harder to implement. But it's just my idea.

Dunno if it's possible, but it would be weird if you sleep for your whole day in 10 seconds or so. It could be cooler if it requires you to log off next to the tent and then the rest could be accumulated while you're offline. Though that would probably be way harder to implement. But it's just my idea.
Pretty much impossible ;)

Are you building it off the sleeping script i put up or is it completely new? I have sleeping working good on ours at the moment, though at present on ours it dosnt fulfill any purpose. Was predominantly thinking of making it protect people from weather and regain heat.

As the game works in real time, you would presume sleeping to be that also. Obviously it wouldn't make sense forcing players to sleep for energy or anything every few ours as it's far from realistic.
The way i look at it, my player sleeps when i do, as in when i log off. Couldn't think of anything worse than only having a few hours to play the game and having to spend time sleeping in game lol.

Thats why i think it should be predominantly protection from the elements

Are you building it off the sleeping script i put up or is it completely new? I have sleeping working good on ours at the moment, though at present on ours it dosnt fulfill any purpose. Was predominantly thinking of making it protect people from weather and regain heat.

As the game works in real time, you would presume sleeping to be that also. Obviously it wouldn't make sense forcing players to sleep for energy or anything every few ours as it's far from realistic.
The way i look at it, my player sleeps when i do, as in when i log off. Couldn't think of anything worse than only having a few hours to play the game and having to spend time sleeping in game lol.

Thats why i think it should be predominantly protection from the elements
There's a few bits and pieces from yours and a few bits from shin's code - combined with my easy code I managed to write something really easy and small.

We were thinking of this:

After a 6h mark, you start to hallucinate (not specifying what here: want to keep it secret to scare you, but expect some audible hallucinations). You'll also yawn every so often. (similar system to coughing with low temperature)
After 12h of no sleep, you start to fall unconscious every so often, and each time you do, it takes quite a long time to stand up again.

To get your sleep, you just have to walk up to a camping tent and there'll be an option to sleep. You won't have to sleep for hours, it'll just take a few seconds. Your screen will go black, saying you're sleeping, and to other players it will actually seem like you're sleeping. After a few seconds (+- 10), you'll wake up again and ready to go.

Little teaser of some UI work: http://i.imgur.com/zLpkx.png

ahh i see, yeah i can see that working. UI looks cool :D Are you considering also using the sleep in tent function to restore heat? Especially when loosing heat in the rain, as that would make sense.
Sounds great, cant wait to see it in action.

ahh i see, yeah i can see that working. UI looks cool :D Are you considering also using the sleep in tent function to restore heat? Especially when loosing heat in the rain, as that would make sense.
Sounds great, cant wait to see it in action.
That'd indeed make sense.

Well, here's a little video of a really early prototype I made in the Arma editor; though you probably tried similar when you were making your code:

This reminds me a lot of stalkers sleep feature (which is great!)

Another idea mate (for later on when you get the core functionality working), on the black out screen have a quick shock nightmare sequence flash up or a nice memory from pre - infection. You can make mission cut scenes in arma 2 and I am sure nnuu and karwin could do some really freaky stuff for the nightmare scenes.

This reminds me a lot of stalkers sleep feature (which is great!)

Another idea mate (for later on when you get the core functionality working), on the black out screen have a quick shock nightmare sequence flash up or a nice memory from pre - infection. You can make mission cut scenes in arma 2 and I am sure nnuu and karwin could do some really freaky stuff for the nightmare scenes.
I love that idea.

The only negative I see to this is what happens if you fail to find a tent? I've had characters live for weeks and never found a tent and, directly opposite, I've found tents minutes after spawning. Are you going to bump the tent spawn or something?

The only negative I see to this is what happens if you fail to find a tent? I've had characters live for weeks and never found a tent and, directly opposite, I've found tents minutes after spawning. Are you going to bump the tent spawn or something?
Well what I've found was that when you add a new thing to the game, you don't necesarily need to compensate for it. That'll nullify the extra gameplay from it.

You're not finding a lot of tents because you don't search a lot of residential/farms. It's the same thing as with nightvision you could say. And really, you can still play even if you're sleepy; it might get a bit difficult, but that's the whole point of this mod isn't it?

Well what I've found was that when you add a new thing to the game, you don't necesarily need to compensate for it. That'll nullify the extra gameplay from it.

You're not finding a lot of tents because you don't search a lot of residential/farms. It's the same thing as with nightvision you could say. And really, you can still play even if you're sleepy; it might get a bit difficult, but that's the whole point of this mod isn't it?

Good point. I just fear it would turn beginners off. Those that may not understand why the hell they are passing out lol

Back