Some thoughts

Manatee Hunter

Valued Member!
Hey Sarge, first - I'm lovin' it.

A few things I'm curious to find out if there is a way to say have soldier AI not steal people stuff right in front of them.... Perhaps a a range+humanity check on players nearby... Cuz having your shit stolen when you aren't protecting it is one thing, being in the woods, friendly AI come across your camp and jack your car + stuff and no way of telling them to piss off w/o shooting them is something that has apparently irked some of the players in my server (I personally find it amusing)

I've set them to ambush - they seem to plant mines, but do not move away from them, nor do the mines get triggered from anything, not people or vehicles. I had them spawn in near the Celle highway(not sure if you're familiar) but they didn't position themselves in any appropriate ambush position, instead opted to hang out on the open road (nice and exposed). Is there any alternative to the use of the mines? Perhaps some sort of IED or something similar to what Daimyo has in his base building mode (I believe its looks like a grave, acts like a bear trap when you are near it, but explodes like a satchel charge). All items enabled on all the maps so it always work. (Personally I'm gonna change the grave model to an IED model the game has)

The idea that radios will have a use with AI is awesome btw, I love that you're doing that... Personally would like to see more use for the radio in the game overall, but from what you and others have said having radios to enable a chat isn't easy or possible.

While this may seem out of the scope of your focus but still up the alley of AI related work - what are your thoughts on improving zombie AI or implementing animal AI that are actually a threat (Dogs/Boars also wtb Bears imo, but w.e) potentially giving them fast movement, low sound and a take down(perhaps knock out) ability for the dog and a snap your leg type ability for the boar.

With that idea you had of having a secondary server for the AI, I could see hordes (or herds) of zombies wandering around being loaded on it to prevent server lag and same goes for the animals - Right now I've been trying to multiply the zombie count but it causes significant lag so I had to ditch that for now.

While I do enjoy the AI you have created, my thoughts have been more towards how to improve the 2 key elements that I personally think are the core of the game (and what made me really fall for it like a crazed junkie) Zombie Apocalypse + Survival Mindset of the players and I do believe the game in general has drifted away from that and kinda mutated into some sort of death match game with zombies, or a carebear game with no pvp allowed (While both have their merits, to me a middle ground must be reached for what I believe would be the best of both worlds).

But as it stands, zombies aren't really all that threatening, even ramping up damage or movement speeds doesn't really scare you as much as having a shitload(AND I MEAN A SHITLOAD) of them come your way if you fire rounds in a town.

rant off,

your work is awesome regardless of what direction you take it. Just throwing some quick half-thoughts out there.

Back