Suggestions to improve the DayZ / Arma Scripting & Editing forum

CommanderRetra

Staff member
Hello fellow people of the OpenDayZ community,

I have created this thread due to the fact that this forum needs a bit of house cleaning and improvements. We are asking for some of your suggestions to help tidy up and improve this forum. We have a few of our own ideas but we are wanting to know what you guys want to change. We are looking more at the aspects of sub-forums (ie. Forum for Releases, forum for Troubleshooting) you kinda get the gists of things.

Please post all your suggestions in this thread below.

Thanks guys!

I like the idea of organizing it a bit. I think we need the following to better serve everyone.

• Release Forum - Only for confirmed working and with a good tutorial for install
    • Only OP can post here - See Troubleshooting Forum
    • Possibly Sub forums for users with multiple scripts (ie. Release Forum>>TorturedChunk) etc.
  • Tutorial Forum - A "Get Started Here" style. General tutorials for the mission based "fixes" setup.
    • Get people used to modifying the mission and server pbo's. As well as tools needed links.
    • This will allow an OP to skip the "unPBO this and copy here" phase of his/her release
    • Contains the general list of files needed to start your "fixes" setup.
  • Troubleshooting Forum - Thread Titles are stickies for the confirmed working scripts
    • Users can post inside the post for the script they are having trouble installing.
    • This will keep the OP Release Forum Clean
I have more rattling around, but this is a start.

I like your ideas and I think that's about all we need to get started. Not to sure about sub-forums for people with multiple releases, I would personally rather to have it all in the one place.

Whatever the people above agree on goes I guess. You should see something happen within the next week.

I'd rather have questions and troubleshooting for specific scripts to be done in the same thread as the release. It keeps things in context and in one place.

I'd like to see more "scripting discussion" instead of just script releases and troubleshooting.

I agree with KungFu, a Scripting Discussion area dedicated to scripting help. How to script this , how to script that.

All separate from the Release area. That would help keep things clean.

Some good Stickies in all areas on what that Forum is for too. ie "DONT POST RELEASES HERE" kind of thing.

- Another thought before I post this, a Request thread for people without scripting skills might be a good idea. General Organization.

We have got a basic idea of the layout and it will be implemented soon. It will be changed with and fiddled with for a bit until it feels about right. Thanks for your suggestions guys :)

Something like this
  1. Script/Addon releases
  2. Tutorials
  3. Map additions
  4. Scripting Discussions
  5. Map Porting
  6. Script/Addon help
  7. Trouble Shooting

What I think would solve many problems and make the experience easier on everyone would be to have category forums for certain scripts you see a lot of variations of...

e.g.:

Home Forums>DayZ/Arma Scripting & Editing>Debug Monitor
or
Home Forums>DayZ/Arma Scripting & Editing>Custom Loadouts

I see several threads on the below subjects:

Debug Monitor
Loading Screen
Map Editing
Loot Spawns
Custom Loadouts
Ai

Just the major ones and then have a 'random' [or whatever name you like] forum for all the rest.

If all the Debug Monitor or etc threads could be condensed into one forum, it would reduce the amount of duplicate threads by a big number. A new sign-up that is looking for a debug monitor or etc are most likely to bypass the search function and put up his own thread. If they see a forum for it, they are very likely to not post a new thread, but just add a post to an additional thread. Less work/stress for everyone imo.

What I think would solve many problems and make the experience easier on everyone would be to have category forums for certain scripts you see a lot of variations of...

e.g.:

Home Forums>DayZ/Arma Scripting & Editing>Debug Monitor
or
Home Forums>DayZ/Arma Scripting & Editing>Custom Loadouts

I see several threads on the below subjects:

Debug Monitor
Loading Screen
Map Editing
Loot Spawns
Custom Loadouts
Ai

Just the major ones and then have a 'random' [or whatever name you like] forum for all the rest.

If all the Debug Monitor or etc threads could be condensed into one forum, it would reduce the amount of duplicate threads by a big number. A new sign-up that is looking for a debug monitor or etc are most likely to bypass the search function and put up his own thread. If they see a forum for it, they are very likely to not post a new thread, but just add a post to an additional thread. Less work/stress for everyone imo.

We had that idea initially but we just figured that there would be too many sub-forums. Easier to have a few specific sub-forums that have many. There shall also be a template people are to use for releases and such to ensure they don't forget adding anything to the release as well as some guidelines and rules ie. no claiming scripts as your own that aren't yours and no adf.ly links. Just some very simple things. There will be Sticky threads about it in the new forums anyway and I'll sort all the pages of threads into it's appropriate sub-forum accordingly.

Looks really good. I can't wait to write some stuff up for the community!

Well done!

Question: If we currently have a "release" or "working" script in another area, should we create a release thread for it in the Release area or leave it?

Back