2017 Server Creditation

shinkicker

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, Looking for some ideas and feedback here.

When 2017 is released to server admins, these guys will be the makers and the breakers of the mod. What I mean by this is that 2017 is restrictive, many weapons are removed and food is rare. All it needs is for someone to run rMod and start putting in choppers and military weapons and the games ethos is out of the window.

Now I don't really want to get into choosing who can have the files and who cannot, they would not be right. So I am thinking what can be done so that players know they are entering a server with a set of authentic settings.

Thoughts I have:

Have a list of credited servers maintained that people can consult.

Run two versions (hardcore and free for all).

Run a hive (attracts hackers, costs money and needs someone to maintain 24/7).

To be honest. I don't like any of these.

Anyone have any ideas?

imho restricting files isn't the way to go.

We've had this debate about Taviana asswell (eventhough it had a different reason, the debate is the same)

You can however strongly advice serveradmins:

1) NOT to combine 2017 with other mods
2) No bliss-optional packages that alter the game (like the wrecks, buildings and care packages in blisshive (all spawn loot))
3) Not more then x-ammount vehicles (to prevent servers with 100+ vehicles)

Because that will ruin the experience you try to achieve in 2017. Serveradmins enjoy their freedom to adjust their servers as they think suits their community best. but if you clearly state the objective of your mod, they are most likely to at least comply a littlebit with your opinion about the above stated points:)

Running a hive yourself will only make things worste. You will have alot of work maintaining it. Players will be server hopping to empty servers, abuse the shared hive principle as DayZ (official) is currently experiencing.

especially in 2017, you dont want players to switch servers to see if there is any better loot there. keep it real, keep it singlehived.

If im correct, namalsk also edits the default loot tables (used by carepackages and wrecks) to make sure no 'unwanted' loot is spawned. but thats something only sumrak can tell you.

Agree Jo, and thanks for the pointers.

Its just going to have to be on a trust basis and I will put together terms of use, with no legal premise of course (gentleman's agreement).

I might perhaps come up with a badge system (voluntarily) where if someone runs a server without straying from the games ethos, then they can claim 100% authentic 2017. Or maybe have a list (just something to provide encouragement)

you can setup a list of 'recommended' servers and, ask their admins to add 'PURE2017' to the server name or something like that :)

It is too bad there isn't some way to enforce this but hey, they open nature is a lot of the reason we're all here I think. Gentlemen's agreement does seem like the only real option here and perhaps once we launch we could set up a dayz2017.net site somewhere as a front end for people to download the files and have a recommended server list there. I also like Jo's idea of a 'PURE2017' in server names although again this would have to be handled on trust alone.

id lovce to help run a server, id shut down my namalsk .60 server to run a dayz 2017. im just getting tired of waiting for a easy server installer for namalsk .70 :(

Sumrak posted Preliminary patchnotes for 0.70 on dayzmod forums ;) thats what got everyone confused :)

But... back ontopic now :D

Yea, i think you need to make the files available and cant prevnt people from running this. For those who choose to run addons and other stuff there is limited support and no endorsement.

Those who choose to run the original server gets to put a unique name in their server name and gets priortiy support. I can't wait to host this server, people are looking for the challenge! I think DayZ 2017 will be even more popular than my current server!! What is the expected ETA?

Yea, i think you need to make the files available and cant prevnt people from running this. For those who choose to run addons and other stuff there is limited support and no endorsement.

Those who choose to run the original server gets to put a unique name in their server name and gets priortiy support. I can't wait to host this server, people are looking for the challenge! I think DayZ 2017 will be even more popular than my current server!! What is the expected ETA?

Thanks mate. We are starting to get there now. The first release won't have to much different to offer (apart from new models and totally different loot ratios). I was hoping to have lots of stuff such as the player could interact with different items in a new way, but that never happened this time round. So we are going to release a sort of alpha and see how the concept goes down, if its popular and standalone looks to be delayed then I will get some more devs on board and will do rolling updates.

Release: Hopefully in about one week.

Shin, you sound more like rocket everyday, i'm not so sure if what you suggest is the way to go.
Keeping things strict and in a certain scope is kinda the opposite of "open dayz".

I see your point of course, but in the end, what you are saying is that you want server admins to run it your way or no way really.

Rocket basically said a similar thing back in april, look at his mod now.

I run a server which is vanilla, no rmod and all these 10 million vehicles and 700 heli's on a map (lol) ... we like dayz as dayz with "improvments" so i see where you are coming from.
Just not sure how you would really stop it, unless of course you run the servers yourself.

Shin, you sound more like rocket everyday, i'm not so sure if what you suggest is the way to go.
Keeping things strict and in a certain scope is kinda the opposite of "open dayz".

I see your point of course, but in the end, what you are saying is that you want server admins to run it your way or no way really.

Rocket basically said a similar thing back in april, look at his mod now.

I run a server which is vanilla, no rmod and all these 10 million vehicles and 700 heli's on a map (lol) ... we like dayz as dayz with "improvments" so i see where you are coming from.
Just not sure how you would really stop it, unless of course you run the servers yourself.

No I disagree here. I would never try not stop anyone nor would I ever refuse someone the code. With Celle people run all sorts of servers with hundreds of vehicles, attack choppers and I am totally ok with that, its not my cup of tea, but still. People even break open the PBO's and resign and I don't kick off a fuss.

What I want to insure is that players wanting to play 2017 can find a server which has the ethos of the game. So for 2017 if someone wants to run rMod and have fighter jets and terminator AI's they still can, but let other players know that. I don't think that is to much to ask. Its not too different to showing 'Regular', 'Veteran' in the server flag. But thanks for your post though, as I want to see all the angles here.

I have to agree with Shin here. I certainly understand your concerns Humble since we have had plenty of drama surrounding issues very similar to this but we're really just looking for a way to get more information out there to the players so they can make sure to find the experience they want.

i have asked my host if he would donate 1 server to the community in dallas
not sure what the answer will be but you dont know until you ask

i have asked my host if he would donate 1 server to the community in dallas
not sure what the answer will be but you dont know until you ask

Thanks, but keep in mind we can't give them any special treatment or have a 'sponsored' by advert.

Back