AI Death Messages ?

Capt-O

Is there an option or a way for death messages for AI killing survivors ? Kinda like normal death messages for survivors killing survivors ?

Just wondering I've done some searching and haven't really seen anything about it.

The variables used in the death messages are not set unless the killer and victim are players so it is not an option you can enable. It might be possible to add this functionality but that is above my level of ArmA coding knowledge.

Well i know its possible b/c origins did it. But they could be using normal Arma AI and not a addon script. But I was just wondering since all AI actually have names. I was just hoping buttface could chime in and maybe give us some insight.

If you don't respond that's fine just keep up the good work on the Addon Buttface. Good Job

To have death messages for players killed by AI there will need to be a client-side edit required, and I want to keep client-side modifications to an absolute minimum The AI names are also not publicly broadcast until the unit is killed to reduce network traffic, so a player's client doesn't know the AI unit's name until it is killed.

For now I'm avoiding adding in any major features because of my extreme lack of free time - < 1 hour on weekdays and a few more on weekends. I don't have enough time to develop and test and debug new features and I'm using what little time I have just to maintain what exists right now - right now I'm slowly working on fine-tuning Napf static spawns at a rate of about 1 spawn/day.

The thing about adding in new features is that nobody is ever satisfied. For each new feature added, this is usually what happens:

• Requests about how to further configure/modify/enable/disable the feature (New features usually have many settings hardcoded because they haven't been fully polished yet, so configuration is limited)
  • Requests to further extend functionality (ie: I want it to do more things, in more ways, but only in certain conditions and not others)
  • Bug reports - These are actually appreciated and useful, but bugfixing and testing the fixes takes additional time. I don't want to end up releasing a feature that I can't support properly.
In the end it's just not worth it for my sanity and I'd rather just keep everything working as-is until I have more time.

Thanks for the response and a very nice response. I understand, it was more of a mere question not a request or suggestion. Like i said saw it on origins and didn't really see much in searching on google and dayz sites. This is kinda why i came here to ask you the question b/c i know (if your not to crazy busy) you'll give a good through response. I appreciate it and i'm glad you still put work into it.

Question, i was thinking about this as i was writing this, could a death message just say killed by ai ? not even weapon or name just that killed by AI ?

And just remember keep up the good work and enjoy it.

You could have a generic killed by AI death message. It would take a small edit of an existing death message script to check if the "killer" unit is:

• Of type CAManBase (the umbrella classname that all player/AI units fall under)
  • Is alive
  • Is not a player
This is a brief outline of how it could work:

Code:
if (isPlayer _killer) then {
   //display standard kill message here
} else {
   if ((alive _killer) && ((vehicle_killer) isKindOf "CAManBase")) then {
      //display generic killed by AI message here
   };
};

Thanks Buttface I will look into this and see what i come up with. I will keep you informed if i come up with something lol.

Thanks again.

You could have a generic killed by AI death message. It would take a small edit of an existing death message script to check if the "killer" unit is:

• Of type CAManBase (the umbrella classname that all player/AI units fall under)
  • Is alive
  • Is not a player
This is a brief outline of how it could work:

Code:
if (isPlayer _killer) then {
   //display standard kill message here
} else {
   if ((alive _killer) && ((vehicle_killer) isKindOf "CAManBase")) then {
      //display generic killed by AI message here
   };
};

Nice, just what I've been looking for. Maybe I can just code this in reverse for it will say player killed AI (so n so)

Back