Any way to optimize server to reduce lag/performance?

deadly fishes

Lately we've been close capping out our server slot limit of 50. We have an average of 25-30 players all the time.

Players are experiencing lag. Might there be some way to optimize some server settings to reduce lag spikes and performance hiccups.

I'm sure reducing vehicle spawns and simple stuff like that would help, but I'm wondering if there may be anything else I could do with in the scripting to increase performance a little bit.

Right now we're with dayz.st if that matters, which I'm sure it might have something to do with it.

Thanks guys, everyone on here has been really helpful!

Right now we're with dayz.st if that matters, which I'm sure it might have something to do with it.

If you are maxing out a dayz.st server you are definitely going to have a ton of lag. I would recommend changing to more frequent automatic server restarts if you haven't already. If you have a solid, loyal player base, I would recommend eventually trying to switch to a better host. You will end up paying more but I mean you get what you pay for, haha.

Yup, we are hosted with Vilayer and have no problems with performance when we get 40+ players. One thing that will cause a ton of desync is players with LOW bandwidth. Ping doesn't really seem to matter but low bandwidth will cause a lot of players to lag out once a player drops below 100 bandwidth. We regularly kick players with bandwidth of 60-70 and get very little desync etc.

I am hosting with dayz.st, and on 40+ players the server stays pretty solid. One thing that i've noticed is to not have too many scripts writing into rpt. Also running alot of serverside scripts can cause huge lag. I spawn buildings from the server file to reduce traffic with the DB. And one thing that for sure matters is how many zombies you have spawning. I reduced the ammount by 50% and players are still complaining that there are too many xD but it helped performance alot.

anyway to automate bandwidth related kicks like BE does for ping?
Bump on that one. Would also like to know if that is possible

It may be possible to write a script in Perl that can pull the information from Arma 2 memory, but afaik no ones every done this. It would read from the same location as ping/playername etc. Would probably need to decompile arma20aserver.exe or speak to BIS to do this.

Back