Dayz Sahrani - Mod Development - Work In Progress

Last one lol

8KgS7.png

Focus is not a strong suit. I couldn't resist trying to have a go at the Panelak building (brick cherno apartments)...

M1lkm8n had already gone into the geo lod to fix the clipping through the ladder at the top of the stairs.... so I opened it up, cut out all the empty rooms, then copy/pasted the enterable rooms down/up to the empty space....

It's a fully enterable 2 story now, as soon as I iron out the Firelod and Geolod I can copy/pasta them for the 5 and 7 story buildings (the 7 story is the one that only has an elevator shaft to the roof right now... which I think I can keep in.... mehby

8LgEi.jpg

Well SHIT, that was fast, the GEO lod was a super easy fix, now I just have to button up the fire lod and it's done... the pathing might need an update but you can walk inside everywhere.. I did named selections so I can copy and past the floors out and move them into the larger ones... I might be able to bang out both of those tonight or tomorrow...

8 Stories of hot sex:

8MOsE.jpg

Still have a bit of tuning to do, I need to put in the banisters/rails for the stairs (easy) and fix up some bits/bobs, The 4 story one is basically done too.

I put 100 of them down on the NWAF in Chernarus, and got better FPS flying through them then I did out towards Stary/Novy, so it should be NO problem putting them all over where the 2 or 4 story one's are now.

how did you get the unbinarized versions of those p3d files if i may ask? cause i cant open them to see how O² works cause of that.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Public_Data

That's everything they've released to the public, I had the "Sahrani Community Package" prior to it's release, but it's all public now.

I worked more on the buildings today, made a lot of progress on the stuff I didn't understand, but hit tons of annoying stumbling blocks on the stuff I was getting good at lol.

Anyway, the 2 story, 4 story, and 8 story are ALLLlllll most ready lol.

Pretty much all the tough lods are done, I now just have to go in and fix all the nitpicky textures I screwed up.

I actually hit the poly limit when I put the banister for the stairs in, I had to make it a proxy.... it's givin me some ideas that I want to investigate/play with... BUT, for now, I just want to finish up these 3, and fix the configs for the other 1.

Then I'll have M1lkm8n walk me through putting the 1 building down in visitor. (the 3 apartments are already enterable, so I don't have to worry about placement issues... although a bush or tree may be inside un-occupied space... we'll see.

well if they are placed down in visitor cant you get rid of the said bushes? atleast thats what i tought whas possible in visitor.

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Edit:

I've gotten straight into opening dum1 building.
But my first anoyance is the camera controls, is there like a way to change them or ease them?
Or is it more like a take it as it is kind of thing?

Last edited:
Yeah for sure. The thing is though, if the building is already enterable, you can just do a replace all instead of hunting down each one and placing them by hand. Since these 3 are enterable I'm going to do that first and then run around the map in game and make sure there are no major issues.

The camera controls are REALLY frustrating, even more so that they are totally different in bulldozer viewer and O2... it makes you nuts.

Alt+hold Right Click pivots on center in 3d

Alt+hold Left Click up and down zooms in/out left right strafe's left/right

Alt+hold Left & Right Click up/down = zoom in out

I don't know, but I don't think there is any way to change them.

any chance you could hop in on skype and add me to those channels?
currently registrating my tag on ofpec :p

Hahaha, well, so much for not playing with the idea...

8PnJA.jpg

What I did was make the floors, the stairs, the railing, the ladder, ALL modular.

So the models are crazy low poly, and it's obviously a lot easier to edit/update them. It also leaves you with TONS of room to decorate each floor of the given building totally differently. So every room can look unique... there are lots of possibilities with this.

The 2 story building is fully done modular, the 4 story needs a few small quick tweaks, and I will work on doing the 8 story one in the same style tomorrow.

All going well, I may end up getting them all done and then trying a more ambitious project in the same vein.

like you put in proxy's and then you could basically assing models to those proxies by random choice?

Yeah, I could have 10-20 random floor layouts for the furniture, and it could then randomize them for each floor of each building, make not only every room, different, but each building also...

Add to this the thought of doing all new furniture some of which maybe reflects signs of damage or apocalypse.

What I really want to do is work out a system of dual/triple proxies for furniture as well, so that cabinets open, drawers open and close etc etc... It should be very possible when you do it on a modular basis like this. you make a cabinet 3 proxies, exterior, interior, and door, you can then animate only the door or drawer.

I've got the buildings where there are 3 blank floor/room models, bottom, top, and 1 floor.. same goes for the stairs, and railings, bottom, top, 1 floor. I'm going to make the floors include the exterior walls, the roof ladder already includes the roof, so.... I could make blank templates of 1-30 story buildings, then you could have pretty much any number of floors.

I could make it so there is a choice whether to have the front porches or not, the 8 story cuts them out for saved poly's I'm sure... It might get into laggy behavior even if it is proxied, but I doubt it... I'm going to play with it a bit.

If I can include the geometry and paths etc for the proxies, I could make it fully modular where there is no "base" building, you can just stack bottom, middle, top with as many middle parts as you want.

Well, as they say, the devil is in the details, it's getting very nit-picky trying to make the buildings all stitch together perfectly. I'm not sure if I'm burnt out and making mistakes, or if the buildings are slightly different, but it's ALMOST there.

I'm not sure if I'm going to work on it today or not, it's getting really tedious, and frustrating... But, I'd really like to do a 20 story though and see how/if it works.

i know the feeling mate, i've had to postpone a trading script for vanilla dayz cause of this.
advanced usage of dialogs caused me headaches xD

Couldn't help myself, worked on it all day... I'm making ONE foundation that has space for a hallway to get to the elevator in back. The foundation model is pretty much all set now. I just have to work on won seam where it meets the middle section. The middle and the top seem to line up fine.

Once the textures all line up I have to copy/pasta the geo/paths etc into each model, that way they'll all just work no matter how tall/short, and there is no need for a "base model" of that size.

I'm going to take the concept and try to do all the buildings that are multi story with the same process. Should be able to make a "city builder" mod.

Back