despawning fixed position AIs to increase server performance

Maciej

Sarge,

Please consider adding the following conditions for fixed marker AI groups:

- spawn group only if player within x meters from marker center / border (whatever is easier to compute / implement)
- if no player within x meters, despawn group and reset a ready_to_respawn flag as true, so the first condition can be activated instantly.
- if group is more than y meters from marker center, despawn group

alternatively, allow us to switch AI to "passive mode" that does not put stress on the server, if no players around AI to "tick it off". But the listed conditions solution might be optimal.

I would like to have 40-50 groups on the map, each with 5-6 units in them, and not kill my playerbase gaming experience.

Also, a hint to how exclude SARGE AI actions logging to server log entirely would be beneficial - I feel it's the size of server log file that gets server very laggy after a couple hours of uptime, but I may be entirely wrong about this so it's just a thought.

Cheers!
Maciej

Well, that's why i initially implemented the dynamic AI.

I have a rough concept what i would do with the static AI - reduce the group to one unit, load that unit with the information about the other units and their loadouts, make thet unit invisible, undamageable and unmoveable, and delete the remaining group.

When a player gets closer than x to that unit, i would respawn the complete group with the information the one unit holds.

No clue if DAC uses the same approach, but might be.

In regrds of the server log -> did you disable all debugs ? Then the rpt logging should be reduced a lot. Might be that in the release version that is out there is still too much, i reduced that dramatically in my actual version.

cheers, Sarge

Back