[EFFECT] Chromatic Aberration

Chromatic Aberration is a type of distortion in which there is a failure of a lens to focus all colors to the same convergence point. Chromatic aberration manifests itself as "fringes" of color along boundaries that separate dark and bright parts of the image.

Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

Hey peeps. I did a little reading and found that the settings for the Post Process effects can be manipulated by changing a few settings in the BIS file.

It's possible to add this effect, as well as many others by adjusting a few settings in the BIS file.

I have this effect running on my server. I like the distortion it gives, sometimes feels as some form of DOF. It does reduce the sharpness of distant objects, but I believe it adds some immersion to the game.

To add this effect:

1. Unpack your Mission.PBO.

2. Create a folder called fixes and place it into your Mission.PBO root folder.

Find the init.sqf in the root of your Mission.PBO.

Find:
Code:
#include "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\BIS_Effects\init.sqf"

Add below:
Code:
// Graphical Filter
[] execVM "fixes\ChromaticEffect.sqf";

Create a file called ChromaticEffect.sqf containing this code:
Code:
//chromAberration
"colorCorrections" ppEffectEnable true;
"chromAberration" ppEffectEnable true;
"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [1, 0.75, 0, [0.8,0.9,1,-0.1], [1,1,1,2], [-0.5,0,-1,5]];
"colorCorrections" ppEffectCommit 1;
Copy this file into the fixes folder.

Repack your Mission.PBO.

I take no credit for this work, I simply cut and pasted code. I cannot read/write script so perhaps an expert can get more variations to suit. I think Post Process effects can somewhat enhance a game such as the God Rays from DayZ SO. Can they be obtained this way somehow?

If you're interested in adding different effects then look here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?75528-ppEffect-collection

Last edited:

Okay - thank you muchly for the input. I'm defo a noob to scripting and this works on my server, but I don't understand how/why. The more I read script code though the more it makes some kind of sense.

PP effects generally affect my FPS but I think they are worth a slight drop, they can always be turned of at any moment.

I was wondering if it's possible to adjust these settings on the fly, like blood draining so different affects can be applied at different times of day/circumstances?

Last edited:
Back