Fences

HeraclesJones

Has anyone found a way to place the low, wooden village fences in a map? I have @Jon_EditorUpdate and @OA_Editor addons installed, but they only add the tall tin fences and the stick fences from maps like Shapur.

I found the @MAP addon, which has the village fences, but for some reason that addon needs to be installed client side for each player in order to see them, which isn't going to work.

Thanks in advance if you know anything about this.

With the @MAP addon you have to go into the mission.sqm file after saving and edit the items you have added by removing the MAP from the classname of each item added through @MAP. I will use the Military Barracks from the NWAF on the Chernarus map as an example.

After editing the map, the item placed will read like this in the mission.sqm file: (it has been a while since I used @MAP so I am not sure if the classname will read MAP or @MAP)
Code:
class Item0
        {
            position[]={13679.292,46.012291,2909.4839};
            azimut=-129.16046;
            id=307;
            side="EMPTY";
            vehicle="MAP_Mil_Barracks_L";
            skill=0.2;
            init="this setpos [13679.292, 2909.4839, -3.8146973e-005];";
        };
You will need to edit each added item classname in the vehicle line to read:
Code:
vehicle="Land_Mil_Barracks_L";
It is easy to do with Notepad ++ using the Find/Replace feature. Just use the Find feature, click the Replace tab, search for MAP or @MAP and replace with Land. You might need to search for the building classname a little to make sure you are adding the correct classname. Some building classnames need Land and others don't need anything.

Thanks for this, but it looks like Arma has changed the way this works, it doesn't look like your solution works anymore. I tried it with basic fence classes (i.e. changing MAP_Wall_WoodVil_4 to Wall_WoodVil_4) as well as some of the other objects I placed with @MAP, and even tried putting in the path to the model, but nothing seems to be working.

Looks like fences are out. Here are the class names, if anyone wants to try to mess with it.

I would test this out for you but I am currently upgrading my motherboard, cpu, and memory which will mean that once I have those installed I will have to wipe my SSHD and re-install everything. If you haven't gotten this sorted out by the time I get all that done I will load it all up and see what I can figure out.

Good luck with the upgrade. Sure, feel free to test it when you get a chance. I've tested a number of iterations and come up flat. Your solution seems to work with some buildings, but not the fences (or trees/rocks) for some reason.

I've been searching on Google and various forums, and this seems to be a problem that goes back a few years.

Thanks for your help.

maybe they are available using @ASG, i believe i´ve seen them somewhere

@ASG has them, but like @MAP, it needs to be installed on the client side by every player, and I want to avoid having to make people install addons to play (but thank you).

Is this the fence you are looking for?

Not sure which fence that is, the one I used a few times and referenced was Wall_WoodVil_4. The only fences that seem to be available (by things like @OA_Editor and @Jon_EditorUpdate) are -

• an industrial tin fence
  • a stick fence
  • some of the Middle Eastern walls (from a mosque I think, but none with end caps)
  • a few broken walls
  • half of a chain link fence
  • almost all of the gates

I've attached a pic of the fence name I listed above.
fence_zpsf4e1cfe3.png

Yeah, that's the stick fence I listed above. Installing @OA_Editor gets you that fence, as well as some broken mosque walls, but nothing else. I used that fence once in my Otmel map addition in lieu of not being able to access any others... in fact that picture looks like my Otmel village based on the footbridge in the background, not really sure.

If you were to install @MAP, you would see a ton of wooden village fences available, as well as things like rocks, trees and plants. You just can't see any of it on the server unless you have @MAP installed client-side. Not sure why only a few fences are available without the client addon, but rummaging through Google has led me to believe that it's a mystery that's a few years old.

I've been jonesing for an answer simply because when you're creating villages, all of those different wooden fences "really tie the room together". I don't think I'll do any more village work because of it, but I suppose there are plenty of other things that can be worked on.

Yea that is from the Otmel Village add-on. I didn't realize that it was yours since I installed it to my server a couple weeks ago.

I have @MAP installed and I have an idea of how to get the fences from that add-on working but I haven't taken the time to try them out. I have to load up the editor today anyways so I will test my idea out and post again with my results.

@ASG has them, but like @MAP, it needs to be installed on the client side by every player, and I want to avoid having to make people install addons to play (but thank you).

Not sure which fence that is, the one I used a few times and referenced was Wall_WoodVil_4. The only fences that seem to be available (by things like @OA_Editor and @Jon_EditorUpdate) are -

• an industrial tin fence
  • a stick fence
  • some of the Middle Eastern walls (from a mosque I think, but none with end caps)
  • a few broken walls
  • half of a chain link fence
  • almost all of the gates

Not had a problem with ASG so far :s

Back