Ground Fog - Guide

Way I see it you guys are still over complicating things...

Just go into the 3d edtior and tweak the settings until you get the fog like you want it. Then just make a simple script to inject the fog spawners and add them as you'd add any other script...

Step by step would be...

1) First download the fog script. I suggest using Rockhounts', it's very customizable. You can find it on Armaholic.
2) Open the map editor, add an item and put Rockhounts' init command on it so it calls the Fog.fsm.
3) Tweak the options in the init line (use the guide on the Fog.fsm for better effect) until you get the desired effect.
4) Save file (3D editor mission.sqf should be created).
5) Open the mission.sqf with an sqf editor and modify it so it runs as a script (pretty easy to do).
6) Open or create an init.sqf for your mission and add a call for your "scriptized" fog spawner (should be on the bottom).
7) Profit.

With these simple steps, I managed a good, easy to implement and turn off/on ground fog.

Ground Fog - Northern Forests.jpg

Looks decent, doesn't it?

Just go into the 3d edtior and tweak the settings until you get the fog like you want it. Then just make a simple script to inject the fog spawners and add them as you'd add any other script...

Step by step would be...

1) First download the fog script. I suggest using Rockhounts', it's very customizable. You can find it on Armaholic.
2) Open the map editor, add an item and put Rockhounts' init command on it so it calls the Fog.fsm.
3) Tweak the options in the init line (use the guide on the Fog.fsm for better effect) until you get the desired effect.
5) Open the mission.sqf with an sqf editor and modify it so it runs as a script (pretty easy to do).
6) Open or create an init.sqf for your mission and add a call for your "scriptized" fog spawner (should be on the bottom).
7) Profit.

With these simple steps, I managed a good, easy to implement and turn off/on ground fog.

View attachment 1353

Looks decent, doesn't it?
How does it look from the air is the question?

Solid, but not as thick. Sometimes it looks brighter depending of the angle and the sun.

It looks pretty well from inside though.

Here, check it out.

Attachments

• GroundFog2.jpg
    GroundFog2.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 137
Somewhat confused here.

I don't think it is my dynamicweather mod but every so often the server's night changes and it gets VERY dark despite the fact I have no clouds or the like. People have to relog for it to brighten up like it is meant to be and I'm wondering if this mod is actually the cause.

Unlikely.

Nights are dark because of the moon phase, and even during full moon nights, as the time progresses the night will get darker and darker.

There are particular times during full moon nights that make it look as if it were day in greyscale. Toy around in the editor until you find one of these nights then set the mission time on the mission.pbo to that day.

That's what we have currently, Deathcall but as the moon phase happens the entire server blacks out. Relog fixes this and brings it back to having a semblance of light like we want, but it's still every hour or so (when the next phase hits) that it does this.

Just trying to find a workaround.

The problem is that even during nights with full moon, it doesn't last all night long. Meaning, if your server has a full day cycle, it'd be difficult to set a script to make it always the time when the moon is shining the most, because then the night would never end.

Night time has always been kinda of a bet in DayZ, adds immersion, removes players. Full moon should help, but getting it to work constantly is rather difficult. I haven't found a way to do it properly yet.

You could use some triggers that'd activate only at a given time of the day. Say, you make a trigger that would kick in 30 minutes after night time, using a command to set the time at the optimal one for full moon every hour or so. Then, you could make a trigger that would kick in when the first one does, but it'd have a timer that'd last almost the entire lenght of the night (say, 7 hours). When this second trigger kicks in, it could disable the first one and reset time to it's normal flow.

Step by step would be...

7) Profit.

would you mind uploading your script file?

I been playing with the settings and cannot get it to look as good as you have!

It's not the script, it's the init line that changes how it looks.

Just download rockhount's from armaholic and use my init line setting if you want, see if it works for you.

Code:
null=[ITEMNAMEHERE,70,1,300,10,20,-1.5,3,0.6,1,1,1,20,20,40,false,0.3,10,0.3,0.5,0.5,0,3.5,17.5] execFSM "Fog.fsm";

Hello, I'm not so good in speaking English ... but I would like your help, would it be possible leveling the missions.sqm and fog.sqf configured for the entire map?
Because I was confused and did not know how I should act. grateful!

Hello, I'm not so good in speaking English ... but I would like your help, would it be possible leveling the missions.sqm and fog.sqf configured for the entire map?
Because I was confused and did not know how I should act. grateful!
If you are asking for the fog in the post above you you will have to look on armaholic for that, but if you looking for my fog over the whole map follow method 2 on the first page

Deathcall, I don't know about anyone else but just like Andrew, I followed your steps letter by letter and there's no fog that's spawning.

I tried Andrew's method as well and I've had moderate success but its basically the same issues with pocketing as the others. I edited some of my settings and made the pockets bigger but it still didn't look as awesome as the OP's picture or Freaking Fred's either.

Deathcall do you happen to have your files available? Even just a snippet of you mission? Maybe theres a syntax error or something I'm missing. Either way, fantastic work for all parties. Such an awesome addition I can't wait to give to my players.

Sure Aaron.

1) Download this.
2) Extract the "fog.fsm".
3) Put the "fog.fsm" on your mission folder in a folder named "Scripts". (Just so you don't have to modify my file).
4) Download my testing script here.
5) Put the file on the "Scripts" folder you just created.
6) Open or create the init.sqf for your mission.
7) Add in the following line at the bottom:

Code:
[]execVM "Scripts\GroundFog.sqf";

8) Save everything.
9) Open your mission and try it out.

I highly recommend you maintain the file names and paths for this test. It won't work if you change the names or the paths. You'll have to manually change them inside the GroundFog.sqf which can be a pain. Also, this test is meant for LINGOR. It'll work in any map, but I don't know where specifically.

To check if it worked, ON LINGOR, go to grid coordinate 025-076. Fog should spawn as soon as you start.

I also recommend you try this off-line on the 3D editor before you try to add it to your server. Also, read the information on fog.fsm, it's very useful.

Hey there guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I love this script. I've recently installed it and been using night-only fog across the entire map from around 7pm-7am. My players love the atmosphere it adds, but have complained that it gets boring having it every single night, and not at all during the day. Is there any way to change it so it changes randomly throughout the entire day? For instance like how the rain and weather changes dynamically, could we get it so the fog also pops in and out across the entire map dynamically too?

Hey there guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I love this script. I've recently installed it and been using night-only fog across the entire map from around 7pm-7am. My players love the atmosphere it adds, but have complained that it gets boring having it every single night, and not at all during the day. Is there any way to change it so it changes randomly throughout the entire day? For instance like how the rain and weather changes dynamically, could we get it so the fog also pops in and out across the entire map dynamically too?
you could set it to go at random different one hour intervals through out the day/night and switch it up every few days, but for as completely random Im not sure, wouldn't be hard I am guessing

Ok got it installed on Taviana but not seeing any fog,or errors, has anybody else tried it on Tavi?

I have installed it on Taviana and played a bit with the coordinates. Unfortunately it does not work on the ground but i can see fog in the sky. Maybe because taviana is based on z-coordinate 0.

Does anyone has an idea ?

Code:
position[]={16139.063,0.500,8182.8467};

I have installed it on Taviana and played a bit with the coordinates. Unfortunately it does not work on the ground but i can see fog in the sky. Maybe because taviana is based on z-coordinate 0.

Does anyone has an idea ?

Code:
position[]={16139.063,0.500,8182.8467};

I tried it on Tavi. Used the basic setting so fog would be everywhere. It worked absolutely fine. I attempted to change the cloud sizes and distance sunk into the floor, but it just looks like ground level clouds whatever my settings. A bit of a shame, I may give Deathcall's method a go.

Did you delete the bold/color he tried to put around the night test in his code he placed? If thats not it try posting your init and mission files, i can look for errors

Hi im having that problem ..canyou tell me excatly what I need to delete plz..I think its somewhere by here:

Code:
#waittoactivate
~300
goto "[B][COLOR=#ff0000]nighttest[/COLOR][/B]"

but not sure what to delete and what to leave in.
I cant even stop it from saying 'cannot find fog.sqs!!

ill include a snippet from my mission.sqm below :

Code:
items=1;
                class Item0
                {
                    position[]={6288.5488,304.98645,7825.8896};
                    id=3;
                    side="LOGIC";
                    vehicle="Logic";
                    leader=1;
                    skill=0.60000002;
                    init="[this,10000,10000,7,19] exec ""fogs.sqs""";