Issues With Reality (DayZ 1.7.6.1)

GT500

On Sunday I tried to set up a DayZ 1.7.6.1 server with Reality (downloaded from the GitHhub as all of the links appear to point to). My hope was to replace my current server, which was set up with Pwnoz0r's server pack with something that is compatible with more admin tools (Gotcha Antihack and TSW for instance). Unfortunately, I ran in to some issues with Reality that eventually had me so frustrated that I wiped out the entire server install and just gave up.

Here is a quick list of a few of those issues:
  1. The instructions say to start by installing an Arma 2 server, but they make no mention of how to do this, nor do they give a link to information on how to do this. I merely assumed that this part of the process was the same as it is with Pwnoz0r's server pack, and did it the same way as I had when I set up my current server.
  2. On the GitHub page for Reality, under 'Installation', it says "The importance of following each of these steps correctly and in order cannot be understated" and then follows it up with absolutely no instructions. To find instructions, you have to look at the "wiki pages" on the GitHub.
  3. When running the installation, after installing all of the dependencies listed on the GitHub page, you run into a missing dependency in Strawberry Perl (something about a file called "inifiles.pm"). There appears to be no documentation about this missing dependency, or where to get it.
  4. When people have asked about this missing dependency, the answers appear to be along the lines of this and this. Both of those answers are incorrect, as there is no option to install Strawberry Perl from the Control Panel. If we are supposed to obtain a different version of this Control Panel, then that should be mentioned somewhere (GitHub, these forums, or in the helper's post when he was replying).
The lack of proper documentation and the dependency issue that did not get proper support are the reasons why I was so frustrated with Reality. If these issues are fixed, then I might be interested in trying Reality again at some future point. For now, the only conclusion I can draw is that Reality is a nightmare to install and get running, and only someone who understands Perl will be able to get it working.

Install ArmA 2 & ArmA 2 OA > Download Reality Files > Run Strawberry Perl Setup > Run Reality Control Panel Select MySQL Info thing; set up to your database information > Then select database > Add reality required build, custom inventory, messaging > Add Instance Chernarus then go back to main panel and select build > select Chernarus > instance 1 > choose your server addons > the files appear in deployed area copy into Arma 2 OA folder > Create Server Start > DONE.

If that is difficult then you can pay me to set it up for you.

Also I run a private anti-hack and can hook you up with my source.

There is a missing dependency in Strawberry Perl, and it errors out every time.

Edit: Oh, and once again there's another useless answer not dealing with the missing dependency. Go figure...

Hi GT500,

It's not that complicated to setup a Reality DayZ server. And to be honest I think there is more or less everything documented on Github and the wiki pages. Plus you did very well for what you described above and your first attempt in setting up a Reality server, now let's review your list of issues:

1. The instructions say to start by installing an Arma 2 server, but they make no mention of how to do this, nor do they give a link to information on how to do this. I merely assumed that this part of the process was the same as it is with Pwnoz0r's server pack, and did it the same way as I had when I set up my current server.
--> Correct, just stop after part 1 if you followed the installation instructions of Pwnoz0r's server pack.

2. On the GitHub page for Reality, under 'Installation', it says "The importance of following each of these steps correctly and in order cannot be understated" and then follows it up with absolutely no instructions. To find instructions, you have to look at the "wiki pages" on the GitHub.
--> I think the readme has changed over time: check the wiki pages, there are 2 installation methods described: automatic and manual installation (I for myself, just followed the manual installation).

3. When running the installation, after installing all of the dependencies listed on the GitHub page, you run into a missing dependency in Strawberry Perl (something about a file called "inifiles.pm"). There appears to be no documentation about this missing dependency, or where to get it.
--> Make sure you do install the 32bit version of Strawberry perl (5.16.3001) even if you're using a 64bit operating system and disable UAC before starting the installation. For the missing dependency: run setup_perl.bat > this should install all needed files and just to let you know: it is also documented in the wiki under Common Issues ;)

If you are still getting the error message:
Code:
Can't locate Config/IniFiles.pm in @INC
--> open up command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator, type in:
Code:
cpan install Config::IniFiles
this should solve the missing dependency.

4. When people have asked about this missing dependency, the answers appear to be along the lines of this and this. Both of those answers are incorrect, as there is no option to install Strawberry Perl from the Control Panel. If we are supposed to obtain a different version of this Control Panel, then that should be mentioned somewhere (GitHub, these forums, or in the helper's post when he was replying).
--> You're right: Strawberry Perl will not be installed from the control panel, you do have to install it by yourself before using the Reality control panel, but the button Set-up Perl within the Reality control panel should set it up correctly after installing it. Or use the above described command to install the missing dependencies.

I'll hope this helps you to setup the server and get it up and running. Otherwise let us know if you encounter any issues when setting up your Reality server.

Best regards
GabberM

Thank you GabberM, I think you just answered the question about the missing dependency. I may try reality again at some point (probably once I get my current server running the way I want it to and have some spare time, as I will need to run a database conversion, and I am assuming that I will have to write the converter by hand).

GT500, if you are getting a missing dependency, then most likely you also have Active Perl installed as well. The only time I have ever seen this issue is when Active Perl was installed and then Strawberry Perl was installed after. When you attempt to run the setup_perl while it is installed, Active Perl will take over and attempt to download the packages. Remove Active Perl (if it is installed) and then try the run again.

You are always more then welcome to come onto the teamspeak/skype and ask for assistance. I am not always on teamspeak but usually around on skype. If you ask nicely and have valid questions, I will usually remote in and assist with installations.

I followed the instructions at this link under 'Prerequisites' to install all dependencies for Reality. I followed the link to strawberryperl.com and I installed the 32-bit Strawberry Perl 5.18.x that was available on the homepage at the time. I later uninstalled it and installed the 32-bit Strawberry Perl 5.16.x that was on the homepage assuming that the 5.18.x Alpha was the reason for the error. At no time did I ever install any other Perl packages.

I was doing my test install in a Windows 7 x64 SP1 virtual machine that was essentially a fresh install with nothing but VMware Tools and Windows Updates installed (I had restored to my 'base' snapshot before trying to download and install any of the software). Note that I would not have installed any version of Perl in my VM as I use nothing else that requires Perl, and I have no reason or desire to install it beyond trying to figure out Reality.

If there is a dependency issue, then it is with the software packages that the instructions said to install.

I followed the instructions at this link under 'Prerequisites' to install all dependencies for Reality. I followed the link to strawberryperl.com and I installed the 32-bit Strawberry Perl 5.18.x that was available on the homepage at the time. I later uninstalled it and installed the 32-bit Strawberry Perl 5.16.x that was on the homepage assuming that the 5.18.x Alpha was the reason for the error. At no time did I ever install any other Perl packages.

I was doing my test install in a Windows 7 x64 SP1 virtual machine that was essentially a fresh install with nothing but VMware Tools and Windows Updates installed (I had restored to my 'base' snapshot before trying to download and install any of the software). Note that I would not have installed any version of Perl in my VM as I use nothing else that requires Perl, and I have no reason or desire to install it beyond trying to figure out Reality.

If there is a dependency issue, then it is with the software packages that the instructions said to install.

Well that solves the issue with that then! I use 5.16 series on all of my servers. Note: it is highly recommended to turn off UAC prior to running setup_perl. It seems that some machines have an issue with actually elevating the command prompt properly and it fails for other reasons.

Back