Optimizing linux system for DayZ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kakusha, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Kakusha

Kakusha New Member

It goes without saying that the server gets lag when its load is too high. However there should be some bottlenecks leaving room for optimization, apart from hardware performance.
    I tried some with sysctl command but couldn't see any clear differences.
    Are there any specific settings that are ideal for dayz?

2. Quentix

Quentix Member

Unfortunately, wine is using only one core of the server's CPU. I believe there is no support for multi-core yet. If you are a student, you can have a Windows Server license for free thanks to Microsoft Dreamspark project. You can also try to make a virtual windows server, but I have no idea about the dayz server performance in a virtual windows.

Kakusha likes this.
  3. Kakusha

Kakusha New Member

I haven't known about the free license! thanks. though for some reason i have to run this dayzserver with linux os.
    also haven't thought about wine not supporting multi-thread nor having a virtual windows server.
    Seems I'd better learn more about what I'm using and playing.

4. Quentix

Quentix Member

I learned everything I know about linux servers by trying things and reading forums, I realized that my DayZ server was running on one core only a few days ago so I switched to Windows yesterday. About the virtualization thing, I recommend you to start here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

5. Kakusha

Kakusha New Member