[Request] .rpt kill and death messsages

Graz

The old bliss had a kill messages feature, this was a great tool for administration as it allowed admins to check who did what (with what) to who.

As global messages they fall short, most of my community likes admins being able to see the messages, but not the community.

The reasons are simple:
  • It ruins players "immersion", which is apparently a real big deal to some people.
  • It gives players more tactical information then it should. If you see [clantag]joe blogs kills someone, you know that his little brother "Fred blogs" and his strangely attractive cousin "Matilda blogs" are lurking about
  • Players have this bizarre complex in dayz where everyone but themselves, cheats, hacks, 'admin hacks, uses navigator, wall glitches, turns buildings off ect ect and it can lead to a large amount of bogus reports.
Personally, the kill messages are awesome for admins, you just search for the name of the deceased and you get a straight up hit on who killed him, enabling a swift log check, as opposed to parsing the setdamage log, which can reach an insane size.
My request/question is this. Can we either change, or give an optional parameter for kill messages that allows it to be in the .rpt file only?

Even better, create a seperate log for it, for people having this "plugin" enabled.
The RPT is already full enough hehe, wouldnt mind going abit BE style and having more logs for specific purposes, but its an awsome idea mate.

I just use the killmsgs package that is included and modified the file slightly for no global chat message and a generic PKILL message when killerName isn't set. A simple search for PKILL or PHIT in the RPT file then shows what I need.

Code:
diff --git a/pkg/killmsgs/compile/server_playerDied.sqf b/pkg/killmsgs/compile/server_playerDied.sqf
index 28f5965..18fbc72 100644
--- a/pkg/killmsgs/compile/server_playerDied.sqf
+++ b/pkg/killmsgs/compile/server_playerDied.sqf
@@ -33,7 +33,7 @@ if (_killerName != "nil") then
        };

diag_log _loc_message;
-       [nil, nil, rspawn, [_killer, _message], { (_this select 0) globalChat (_this select 1) }] call RE;
+       //[nil, nil, rspawn, [_killer, _message], { (_this select 0) globalChat (_this select 1) }] call RE;
        //[nil, nil, rHINT, _message] call RE;

// Cleanup
@@ -41,6 +41,9 @@ if (_killerName != "nil") then
        _victim setVariable["AttackedByName", "nil", true];
        _victim setVariable["AttackedByWeapon", "nil", true];
        _victim setVariable["AttackedFromDistance", "nil", true];
+} else {
+    _loc_message = format["PKILL: %1 was killed", _victimName];
+    diag_log _loc_message;
 };

dayz_disco = dayz_disco - [_playerID];

Pretty sure seperate logs is just gonna require altering the dll

Its just alot easier to use the diag_log & write a parser to read the rpt logs...

Back