Server Side Effects

Dlcoates1

Hello everyone. So I have successfully got a working nuke on my server (Effect only, no damage), and I have it tied to the DayZ admin tools menu, but the only problem I am having, is getting it to show server side. Currently, it only shows client side, and that is not what I need it to do.

This is being worked on for a mod I am currently working on, and so I need help getting the visual effect to run server side, and not just client side.

Current Code:
http://pastebin.com/bnNCn35K

(Pasted as anon because I don't want to bother making an account. I am tired and just want to get this done.)

Any help getting this to run server side would be appreciated.

if you ever figure it out, pm me, this topic gets closed on here cause they don't want admins doing this on their servers. I think it would be cool to kinda tie it into the animated heli crashes myself.

effects on the serverside make no sense at all.

i assume what you are looking for is running that effect on all connected clients instead.

Sarge

I'm not 100% on all of the particle commands, but if they're anything like create vehicle, just do it how my airraid script is done or how the heli crashes are done - in the dayz_server.pbo, add it to compiles, functions, and call it - this way the timer will the the same for everyone (goes off at the correct time for all clients). Don't forget about call RE; for sounds and whatnot.

Good work getting it working!

@Sarge is right - you don't need to run the effects serverside, you just need to coordinate the timing - maybe you could use public variables, but call remote execution seems like it would work to me.

if you ever figure it out, pm me, this topic gets closed on here cause they don't want admins doing this on their servers. I think it would be cool to kinda tie it into the animated heli crashes myself.

Correction, posts get closed for stuff like this that involve damage and mass killing codes. This is a simple effect that will later be used in a mod I am working on, so I need this done. There is the difference.

effects on the serverside make no sense at all.

i assume what you are looking for is running that effect on all connected clients instead.

Sarge

Yes, I am trying to get it so all the clients can see it, and not just my client.

this is missing some files

nul = [lkcom] execVM "lk\menu\close_menu.sqf";

nul = [] execvm "lk\nuke\nuke_var.sqf";

Those files are not needed since the nuke runs without them. It is a modified file that is made to run without those hence why it says null.

I'm not 100% on all of the particle commands, but if they're anything like create vehicle, just do it how my airraid script is done or how the heli crashes are done - in the dayz_server.pbo, add it to compiles, functions, and call it - this way the timer will the the same for everyone (goes off at the correct time for all clients). Don't forget about call RE; for sounds and whatnot.

Good work getting it working!

@Sarge is right - you don't need to run the effects serverside, you just need to coordinate the timing - maybe you could use public variables, but call remote execution seems like it would work to me.

Think you could possible help with that using your air raid code, and then from there I could tie it back to the DayZ Admin tools? EDIT: If I put it in the server.pbo, then I will have to edit the mission pbo to redirect to that on the nuke.sqf file in there wont I? And there is no sound to it, but there is wind.

You have two options here really:
1) remotely call code from your client to other clients (i think RE can do this)
2) create a event handler to catch a public variable in your mission file which is called from dayz_server.pbo publicVariable (maybe on a timer?) - where the code has the nuke stuff inside it.

I would do #2 personally, might not be the best option but its doable.

You have two options here really:
1) remotely call code from your client to other clients (i think RE can do this)
2) create a event handler to catch a public variable in your mission file which is called from dayz_server.pbo publicVariable (maybe on a timer?) - where the code has the nuke stuff inside it.

I would do #2 personally, might not be the best option but its doable.

Your probably gonna have to help me out bit with that. I didn't fully code this nuke, I just edited the effects on it, making it more realistic (Still looking for better effects for it) and then created an sqf so that I can activate it by clicking the map and tied it to the DayZ admin tools by blue so that the script can only be activated once you select the nuke option through the tools list. Because I couldn't get it to work for everyone when 1 person activates it, I gave the nuke option to everyone on the server through the regular tool list (Good thing it's only an effect and doesn't do damage). But if you could show me how, or maybe I could even send you my mission and server pbo and have you do it for me that would be great. I am good at noob coding, just not anything too advanced. Still learning C++ and all.

Your probably gonna have to help me out bit with that. I didn't fully code this nuke, I just edited the effects on it, making it more realistic (Still looking for better effects for it) and then created an sqf so that I can activate it by clicking the map and tied it to the DayZ admin tools by blue so that the script can only be activated once you select the nuke option through the tools list. Because I couldn't get it to work for everyone when 1 person activates it, I gave the nuke option to everyone on the server through the regular tool list (Good thing it's only an effect and doesn't do damage). But if you could show me how, or maybe I could even send you my mission and server pbo and have you do it for me that would be great. I am good at noob coding, just not anything too advanced. Still learning C++ and all.

Got it, will look at it soon :)

Im very interested in this code would you mind if my colleague and i took a poke at it

It is fine AlienX. Lunatic, if you read my PM, I don't have code to share, I never fully got it working server side, and it only showed client side.

Back