Server Specific Tutorials

Hey all! I'm fairly new to running a server but I am slowly figuring it out as I go. I have looked around for hours trying to find the right bit of information on how to help me do some things but there are a few problems with this.

1. Everyone seems to write tutorials as if everyone else knows what they're talking about.
Not all of us are leet haxor coders who know the ins and outs of scripting. It would be nice to show ALL of the steps involved when writing your tutorial. If you can't be bothered with writing a complete tutorial then maybe you shouldn't be writing them at all. At least with video tutorials we can see what you're doing. But even some of those are very vague.

2. How about some server specific help/tutorials?
Everyone seems to write their tutorial as if there is a common factor involved. Truth is, there's not. I'm on a DayZPriv server and everything I've seen seems to be written for either running your own server on your own machine, or Vilayer, DayZ.ST, or some other server. The file structure on DayZPriv is nowhere close to anything that is in any tutorial I've seen. I have spent the last 12 hours just trying to understand how they have it set up and I'm still not close to solving an issue I'm having trying to get Krixes Bloodbag script to work on my Epoch server. (Please don't tell me to email their tech support - I need immediate results, not a 12 hour time frame in which to wait -although Jon there seems to answer me back right away). I've had this server for three days now and I still can't get any straight answers on how to get this script to work or any other script for that matter.

3. Outdated Tutorials
Obviously there are changes with every version so some of the things in some tutorials are no longer valid. For instance, I followed this tut that shows how to remove the 30m Plot Pole requirement. I spent a good while following his directions, trying to figure out where those files were he was talking about, editing them, and then having them not work. After wracking my brain trying to figure it out, I scrolled to the bottom of the thread only to see an addendum that said to just add one small line to a file which made everything else I spent all that time on unnecessary. Thankfully it worked, but had that instruction replaced the older ones it would have saved me a whole lot of time and confusion.

I know some of you here think that unless we're on the same level as you then we're not worth your time or effort. Some of you are just plain unappreciative that there are those out there that are still new to the game and want to learn how to make it work. You were there once too, remember? How cool would it be if you stopped being a dick to these noobs (me included) and actually help us out for a change? That's not to say all of you are doing that. I've seen some of you trying to help them work through their issues, and for that you have my beans. But I would like to be an active member of this community at some point. Professionally, I'm a CGmodeler, Concept Artist, and Animator; but scripting is my weakest skill... ok, non-existent skill, but I'm learning! I would love to do some models and animations for an exisitng or future mod at some point but I have a lot of scripting to figure out first. All I ask is when someone asks for help, help them. Help me. And in return, I promise that someday I will do my best to better this game and this community.

Thank you.
JerryAtricks

Why not be grateful people are sharing their work ? If you can't figure it out then don't use it :)
There have been so many exellent scripters who stop releasing cause it takes forever to support their work, I myself have a release planned shortly, I will not be supporting it, I'll post install instructions and if people can't follow them it's tough.

In regards to the many different hosts, what can a scripter do about it ? It all boils down to having 2 files, you have a mission.pbo and a server.pbo, no matter what hosts call them it's the same thing.
Some hosts restrict access to BE filters and other files, that isn't the fault of the scripter, it's down to choosing a shit host.

What help do you need with Krixes bloodbag script ? I have it on my server so i'll be happy to help you.
You are aware that the fn_selfActions is part of the client side files ? you have to manually add it from client side to server side, then change or use a custom compile so you tell the server that it has to look server side not client side for that file.

Richie: That's the exact attitude I'm talking about. "if people can't follow them it's tough." Generally, people find it hard to follow instructions because the writer didn't know how to right them correctly so that people could follow them. ;) But if you don't have the time to support your own work then why bother posting it? You had all the time in the world to play the game, come up with the code, test it, rewrite it, and test it again until it worked. So why not answer a few questions on a thread while you're at it? It's this general sense of leet-ism that seems to be running rampant through communities like this. If you guys are so leet, then why are you writing tiny scripts instead of major operating systems? Of course don't take that the wrong way. I am very grateful that you guys are releasing your work, and for free. It's that kind of community support that makes these mod communities so great. Without you guys there would just be the game and nothing more. Like I said, I'm a modeler, so I would eventually love to do some models for this game and I would be putting it out there or free as well. Maybe it's just me but I would try to support my own work, especially when there are so many players looking to use it. So thank you, Richie and all the other scripters out there for doing what you do. Just try to stop being dicks about it. ;)

As for servers, it seems that they now have the mission.pbo's unpacked already in their database. This was a change from the last time I had a server up last year and I was not aware of that nor did I see any information on that little change. Everything I read about unpacking the mission.pbo drove me nuts because I was looking for the actual pbo file. Had that information been available then it would have saved me a whole lot of headaches.

Oh, and I figured out Krixes bloodbag script on my own. I posted the results of it in another thread. Turned out to be a noob mistake (as I am a noob at this), but it was something I did not see covered anywhere so I made it aware so that maybe others who are possibly making the same mistake could see it an fix it. His instructions are perfectly clear except for one small flaw. If you use a folder name for your custom scripts other than 'custom', which is what he uses, then there are three places that you have to change it. I used a different folder name but I only changed it in two places. Once I changed that third place, it worked. :D

I've been a member here and other Dayz related forums and most people are too lazy to read instructions or previous posts, the answers are always there but nobody reads and expects the easy way out.
I've seen many exellent scripters post fantastic scripts and then give up due to the work involved in supporting them.

I'll release my work because i like sharing and i use other peoples works, I won't spend my life posting the same info over and over again because people won't read through the full thread.
I've learned so much here and the answers are there, so many guides to show new things and help understand the ArmA engine but people can't be arsed reading.

I see your point, honestly i do :) but my point is also valid.

The only people this might be ok for are the ones who are complete novices running vanilla servers.

LOL! Yeah, that's me! :)

Yeah, I understand about people not reading through entire threads and having to repeat yourself over and over. I'm a teacher and I know that feeling extremely well, trust me.

Although, it may be that they read the first post with the instructions, realize it doesn't work, try and try again to get it using the same instructions with no results, not realizing that the instructions have been updated 17 pages into the thread. The problem there is that the info should have been updated in the first post.

That happened to me trying to get the 30m Plot Post disabled. I followed the instructions to the letter in the first post. Didn't work. After a few tries, I finally scrolled through the rest of the thread then, in the very last post, there was an update that made everything I had done useless. =\

Well, for those of us that actually do read your threads, try to get it all summed up in the first post. The smart ones will figure it out. ;)

Back