Shins Modeling for Arma 2 / DayZ Tutorial - Part Four

What does the system console say when you try and export a model? (Window > Toggle System Console)

R40EGEt.jpg

Apparently the conversion script isnt recognized.

Hmmm... Did you move O2Script.exe? It should be at C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\Oxygen 2 Personal Edition.

It works! Apparently I had the path set to the Arma Toolbox for that addon, but anyways, thanks a lot man, I can finally get to work now ^_^ Cheers!

Okay, sorry to be a bother, but now when I open the p3d in oxygen it doesn't load, no errors or anything, but heres the twist. If i open up a .p3d that does NOT have the objects joined, it loads up fine, but if i load up a .p3d with everything joined, nothing appears, any idea's?

Thanks for this tutorial shinkicker. I'm kinda curious what tutorials you're planning on doing next. I'm hoping you'll do a weapon creation tutorial but I imagine that would take quite a bit of time.

I had said I would do materials, but I also will try to go vehicles and guns, but only getting them in game, instead of how to model them (which is quite complicated).

I had said I would do materials, but I also will try to go vehicles and guns, but only getting them in game, instead of how to model them (which is quite complicated).

That's a huge help in itself. I don't have any experience in modelling so really anything helps.

I started on this after I got the billboard all sorted out.

1RD1pmW.jpg

v7MWKCM.png

It doesn't have textures at the moment and I'm still working on it. I don't think the way I'm doing it is very effective (box modelling the outline, as a result the gun is very... flat, in some aspects) but everything's a learning experience I guess.

I use a box or plain to model guns, I keep extruding out and realigning the vertices each time.

You can use 'smooth' under the object mode. That will smooth the edges off. But try not to do it until the end, as its hard to remove again. If you want to see the result, save, apply smooth and then reload again and leave final application until the end.

Also as your going for handgun it won't be hard at all to get into game at all, as we can use the same existing hand animations as the say for example the Colt .45

I have an 'obrez' (a sawn off mosin nagant used by russian criminals) which you can see here with a 'smooth' applied:

499xv1m.png

I have likely bitten off more then I can chew though as this is a one handled rifle, so I might need to create new hand animations (especially for reloads).

I went back to my revolver model after watching some tutorials and wasn't too happy with what I saw. It was very sloppy and very easy to tell that I didn't have much of a clue as to what I was doing. So, I've scrapped that project, and started on a new one.

9wPk2FF.jpg

Obviously, a SKS has been done before, but it was something I was interested in doing, as it certainly fits in with the them of DayZ and its something that's pretty common throughout the world. I still need to do the sights, bolt, and barrel (which is where my revolver really went wrong and was causing me issues).

1. The door is too small, the player gets stuck
2. The model seems to be floating; it moves when you shoot it! I feel this may be a property inherited from the "vehicle" class. Any ideas how to fix it (it currently weighs 800 KG but still moves... can you show me how to make it a static prop? Currently when you 'mouse over' the shack it displays its name, something that doesn't happen with the standard buildings)

A couple quick hints that should help your structure.

This should solve any issues with floating:
-Window ---> Named Properties
-Right click in Named Properties window---> New
- autocenter 0
(Do this in all lods for safety and consistency)
-Make sure it's placed appropriately in all lods, it should now be reflected in game as it's oriented in o2.
As far as the rooftop being transparent from within, I imagine you've already solved this problem; but there are a couple of solutions. Copying and pasting in the same area and reversing the faces is one option if you don't mind it appearing paper thin at some angles. A trick that works well with this method, particularly for windows is selecting each face or group of faces (facing the same general direction) and 'Faces' ---> 'Move Top'.

This prevents glass and other transparent materials from hiding objects behind them.

All geometry LODs(Geo/View/Fire):
Simple boxes reflecting the model's relative shape, often times you can use the same modeled geometry for each of these lods without error. Make sure to add mass to the 'Geometry" lod's vertice, make sure you add corresponding rvmats to the 'Fire Geometry' lod (ex: CA\data\penetration\metalplate.rvmat). You MUST 'Structure ---> Topology ---> find Components' for each of these Geo lods.

As far as your building moving and turning black, there's certainly something silly in your config inheriting awkward attributes. I hope some of this information helped.

I'm having an issue with the Geometry of my model.

I have the model fully loaded in game.

It is a sign much like your own but the problem I am having is that it reacts rather oddly to gunfire.

I have the mass set to 2000kg (Started with you tutorial 400kg and worked up in the testing process) but even so a single bullet will cause the sign to sway back and forth like a Weeble Wobble. If I switch to full auto I actually end up sending the thing spinning off into space.

I am using the default wood rvmat on the object and the wood.rvmat collision data on the Fire Geometry if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having an issue with the Geometry of my model.

I have the model fully loaded in game.

It is a sign much like your own but the problem I am having is that it reacts rather oddly to gunfire.

I have the mass set to 2000kg (Started with you tutorial 400kg and worked up in the testing process) but even so a single bullet will cause the sign to sway back and forth like a Weeble Wobble. If I switch to full auto I actually end up sending the thing spinning off into space.

I am using the default wood rvmat on the object and the wood.rvmat collision data on the Fire Geometry if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have Land Contacts defined?

Back