Tutorials ?

axeman

OpenDayZ Rockstar!
I am looking to start scripting / editing for Arma2, specifically for dayZ Bliss. I am wondering what people here would recommend for good tutorials.

I can code C# & VB fairly proficiently so am used to coding, am getting used to the game folder structure and the relevant files. I think specifically I would like to know what I can do 'on the server' so people can connect with a standard client without having to install a customised version of dayZ.

From what I have read I think that mission editing is the way to go if I want a clean client, as the mission is downloaded ?

How much can I do with that though, could I script a building to allow a survivor to interact with it, for example ?

you can do allot the only issue is overriding classes because some stuff is in the mod, if you depbo your mission file and look in init.sqf then depbo the dayz_code.pbo file in your mod folder and the server.pbo which you have to download specific to your version you can see how everything ties together.

the best way to see how it ties together is to join a custom dayz server and download their pbo file and then open it up and look in init.sqf

apart from the init.sqf file you can also put code in the oninit=""; of the object in the mission file, this means you have to edit the map.

The stuff that is hard coded is mostly classes, you hooks should all start in init.sqf though.

Xyberviri thanks for the info. seems like a good place to start then. Off to look for a custom dayZ server :)

Look up the =btc= logistics script on armaholic by Giallustio the servers that say heli lift script are using that. If you can look at that you can see how the basis works. Try making/modding some arma missions because with dayz you need a server to test. Not a big deal as you can set one up on your pc

Also just a heads up, i mainly deal with non battle eye servers cauae when you start modifying the server code you have to create be rules, my server is private so its not enabled on it

I have a server online that, technically, is public. Is on my production server so not sure how 50 players would go. Am upgrading soon so I could accommodate that. Also have a test server at home that I can fire up and run on my gaming PC, duplicating the online database normally. I have a few regulars and some friends that use my online server so want it to appear reliable.

So far, like with the snow addition, I have been deleting the lines from the scripts.txt to get BE to stop booting me. Not the best answer I know.. That will come later, if the server gets abused I will just remove the snow, is only a temporary addition for a bit of fun..

Cheers for the pointers, will be sure to look up on armaholic. I used to do a lot of Quake 2 and 3 / Half Life - Counter Strike editing and really miss my game editing. Arma is such a scriptable engine, is too hard to resist.. Normal life can afford a bit of my time on doing what I like :)

I can't post any links for a couple more days since i just created my account else i would have provided some more information, honestly the one mission that has the easiest to follow code is that Wasteland mission that is just a normal Arma2 mission. you have to download it from dev-heaven or from a server on which it works, i downloaded the one from 404gaming since theirs worked well. right now im tring to add it into DayZ, there is another person on this forum that has already added it to dayZ and is working the bugs out but they are taking a diffrent direction since i wanted to make my server a little more RPGish.

On my pc itself i just created a bliss server for dayz so i can work on learning its code since its system is slightly diffrent than normal Arma.

Back