Wasteland Missions in Dayz?

Bungle

Hi Guys,

I already have AI running around my servers causing a mess thanks to the Sarge AI Pack. I was wondering since these guys.. and girls chance drop a radio could it be then possible to broadcast certain missions to those that hold a radio like similar to the missions in wasteland. These missions will occur on a timer say every 30min but the mission types will be only crate and helicopter/small armored vehicle based with limited cargo and NPC's guarding of course. (nothing crazy)

The missions would have marker on the map to anyone holding a GPS and/or radio but to get the starting message you would need a radio specifically (This is to encourage hunting of the AI)

TO any scriptwriters that could make this happen I would be willing to pay you for your time. Or if any scriptwriters/talented server admins are looking for some servers to staff and help make something special check out my website or reply here.

www.dayzmadhouse.com

Thanks for your time.

Bungle
Head Madhouse Admin

I have something like this running on our clans server. I had to put the Ai code serverside so that I can spawn them with serverside scripts. How I have it setup though all the locations are custom bases so IDK if it would be much help to anyone. Lots of copy and paste for cords if you wanted to edit it. In a nut shell I have made 2 different types of missions. One that has Ai that spawn around an outpost and the other that you have to defend the area waiting for the weapons to spawn in. They both work pretty well and people on the server have a good time. If you are interested come to US1020 and check it out. The missions will only go when there is more than 12 people playing. I can give you the code that I use for it, but I don't really have time to walk someone through it step by step.

Sounds interesting I may be interested as a starting point. But looking for a few random dynamically spawning missions. I have a feeling it could be done via the mission.sqm with a group of objects spawning with a sqf attached that would broadcast to players in server with Location or if possible players with _itemradio or _itemgps in toolbelt.

The missions I would want to be simple with perhaps primary and secondary that spawn on timers like wasteland allowing groups or independents to try and collect.

Whilst bases would be good I would prefer crate/vehicle/aircraft drops. Even chucks of base building materials for Basebuilding 1.2 to add into.

Anyone else got "missions" running via the mission.sqm?

Does

BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

on a timer work in the mission.sqm allowing spawning of random chance clusters/missions on a timer basis..

That's first step for me i think. From there having a call to members with the equipment would be icing on the cake.

Cheers for your input.

Taking an example from another fine mod Ground fog.. Once again to all I am no coder but wanting to learn what he can.

position[]={6288.5488,304.98645,7825.88},{6177.5266,301.98645,2865.88} BIS_fnc_selectRandom; //Location array of possible locations possible to add more
id=#;
side="#";
vehicle="#";
leader=1;
skill=#;
init="[this,7, 19] exec ""Missions1.sqs"""; //Time period for running the event There would be better code out there.

I do it through the dayz_server.pbo. IMO spawning crap client side is a pain in the ass and I only do it if the object needs addaction or other client side commands. I have a sqf that runs when the server starts and controls all the mission times and locations. It would be simple to make them spawn in a random spot like in wasteland. The only part that would be difficult is marking that location with a marker and have everyone + JIP able to see it. Check out US1020 when more than 12 people are on to see how mine works.

I came in to check it out but unfortunately the player min didn't get reached. I did however take a small trip over to Skalisity Island, nice little base over there.

So could you explain briefly how to add something like this to the server bpo?

Is it just an exec VM in the server_functions.sqf?

From there I can look into perhaps adding broadcast to players with itemradio or itemgps.

Cheers,
Bungle

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been working on this script much lately, but I can send you all the .sqf files and you can reverse engineer them :). I am planning on finishing it up soon and making a release on here.

Awesome. I could wait for the release, but if you drop down your .sqfs we could get some more viewers in here willing to assist. Missions generated and broadcast to survivors carrying a Radio would bring a new element into killing Sarge's NPC's on the map instead of each other. The missions of course could be found by those without a radio by chance of course.

Cheers,
Bungle

afaik there is no way to restrict the channels (global/side etc) to a certain player(s).

What you can do is send a hint (rHINT) to all players owning a radio from the server, that should do it as well.

just a small hint: BIS_fnc_selectRandom is buggy. (see devheaven bug reports) write your own :)

Sarge is there a way to spawn your AI serverside? I tweaked another AI script to run serverside, but they are a lot dumber than your AI. BTW great work on your AI we had them running, but ran into a weird error. Think it had to do with the hit detection or server cleanup. Every time you shot an AI no one else would have the action to enter your vehicle if you were in it.

my AI is only spawned serverside. Nothing happening on the client.

The issue that you describe is on my bug list, called "vehicle issue fix". I thought it was fixed a while ago, works perfectly here, but some ppl still report problems with it. Debugging that atm.

Sarge AI with Mission options that would be the win here. The pathing I love but having them also chance spawn next to basic crates (Nothing OP inside) or even Crashed Heli Sites and having their co-ords broadcast to the players holding a radio they drop would be unreal. These can also be Survivor/Military/Bandit packs that you need to either fight to get past or have the humanity to just walk in and help yourself. However player bandits could know the location as well and could be watching. It would add a new element to the survival games on my servers with clans hunting AI packs and each other.

I am no coder although willing to start learning.
I have loved what I have seen here with the community bringing in extras for the community at large to work with.

The AI have had their moments but overall they are not overpowered and work really well, Sarge keep up the great work.

And a big thank you to everyone here who contributes in code or just their dreams and ideas.

Peace,

Bungle.

my AI is only spawned serverside. Nothing happening on the client.

The issue that you describe is on my bug list, called "vehicle issue fix". I thought it was fixed a while ago, works perfectly here, but some ppl still report problems with it. Debugging that atm.

Ill check it out and see if I can get it to work again.

can you check one thing while testing that:

i suspect the number of vehicles on the server to play a role in this - the server simply needs to long to spawn all vehicles. because of that, my fix gets started too early and doesnt "catch" all vehicles.

in my SAR_vehicle_fix.sqf is a sleep statement at the very beginning - if you can reproduce the bug, try to increase that sleep and restart.

thx, Sarge

Back