2017 Feedback

-Atlas-

Hello survivors,

I recently got back into DayZ after a long, long break and found out about 2017, which seemed to provide exactly what I was missing in DayZ.

I've played it now and because I'd love to see this mod grow, I'll give you some feedback.
Keep in mind that this is ofcourse all personal preference:

Guns:

I like the fact that you removed the military grade weapons and, if ever you think about implementing them, keep the spawn rate ridiculously low.
Having only the more common self-defense guns in your arsenal really adds to the game and makes it a lot less easy to pick off other players.

You're weaker, basically.

Currently, I do think that the guns are still too common. Handguns actually seem less common than the rifles and I think that should be changed. Having a Lee-Enfield or a Winchester is pretty much normal. I hardly ever see people running around without one.

Make guns and ammo more rare. I know this has been suggested many a times, but I'll say it again: Realistic survival is what draws people to this mod. The more realistic you make it, the more succesful it will be. Try to stay different from the original DayZ as much as you can. People came here because the original was too boring for them.

Ofcourse, a couple more guns would be nice, but I don't feel like that should be of priority as for now. Focus on what makes 2017 different from the regular DayZ, namely:

Survival:

Granted, survival is a lot harder than in DayZ.
However, I still feel like it's too easy to get your hands on everything you need. Survival gear is literally -everywhere-. Funnily enough, the hardest thing to find was eventually a hatchet.
Maps (which still have a GPS built into them, seemingly), matches, hunting knives.
It usually takes one run through a big town to kit yourself out completely. Honestly, I think the big towns shouldn't be that easy, but we'll get to that later.

Right now, animals spawn too often, which takes away a lot of the survival aspect. Once you got your kit, it's fairly easy to live on forever without much effort or need for teamplay (which is something I also think should be encouraged more).

I like the idea of having to mainly hunt rabbits, because I tried to shoot one once, I missed many, many times. Makes it a lot harder.

People got 2017 for a challenge and right now, it's still a bit too noob-friendly. Survival has become a more important aspect, but it's not yet a real threat due to the abundance of animal and the anti-threat of:

Zombies:

They're too easy. That's always been DayZ's problem looking at it from a survival perspective, and now, they don't even stand in the way of what you need anymore. Animals are mainly found outside the cities, where there are no zombies.

What I'd like to see is more zombies, especially around the center of the big towns, but not -everywhere- in towns. What I think adds to the flavour of the game is walking around in the abandoned outskirts, just looting. Having zombies literally -everywhere- in a town sometimes is a little bit emersion-breaking for me.

Less loot and (no) zombies in the outskirts,
More (valuable) loot and more zombies in the centers of town.

What this also would create is an opportunity for survivors to make camps/outposts in certain buildings along the edges of big towns. That would greatly add to the game, I feel.

Possibly make zombie-senses a bit better. They should be hard-to-overcome obstacles and besides survival the main threat, but they're not. They're silly. I feel like improving their senses would greatly improve the risk of going into town.

Having zombies block the way to important resources could be a great way to improve teamwork.

Temperature and Stamina:

I still see heatpacks everywhere, I never used them once.
I'd say, make it so that rain will eventually make you hypothermic, and that rain during the night will make you hypothermic relatively quickly.
Or make a warm/cold system, in which "warm" has no adverse effects, but "cold" could make it so that your hunger/thirst meters go down faster.

Stamina, I feel, would be a great way to improve the relative strength of zombies.
Currently it's too easy to escape from zombies by just running for a mile until you get into a forest.
Sprinting is exhausting and even with a zombie on your tail, I doubt many would be able to sprint for a mile. As stamina decreases, so should your speed of running. The point at which a zombie would be faster than you, should be reached quickly.

Also, running could make your food/thirsty meters drop more quickly.

Well. That's my feedback. I hope it's useful.
The most important thing that I think you should focus primarily on what makes 2017 different from DayZ. In other words, focus on the reason people come to 2017. Survival, challenge.

Adding more/rarer guns is a way of creating some lasting appeal, but why not make it a lot harder to get your hands on the guns that are currently in the game to begin with?

There's a lot of (small) things that could be changed, to make the game a lot more appealing to the crowd that you're attracting.

As a fan of survial-gameplay, I really don't care much about better/more guns. But that could be just me. I care more about having a challenging survival experience.

Sincere thanks for taking the time to type this out.

We have realised a lot of what you say and the next release will be very much a big tune up. I am just rounding up working on changing clips and slugs to single bullets and we now have a guy who is dedicated to getting the loot spawns just right.

Its a difficult one though, if you go to much in one direction players dies without a chance. I guess we can't sit on the fence here.

Fortunately I'm that guy :D and I WILL get the loot spawns right. (Although its impossible to please everyone) however the adjustments I'll be making is based upon HOURS of monitoring and research of players movements and survival time. So in the next update the loot will be juuuuusssst right and will coincide with a little surprise we have planned for you guys :)

The zombies is a difficult aspect and we will be looking further into it.

I'm currently suggesting this:

- Higher zombie damage (not too much though)
- Less spawn chance
- Zombies spawn everywhere (in forests etc)

Back