Can't Anyone Else Make 3.0?

i find this dayz origins thing very pathetic. people need to their heads out their asses ...
makes no sense that they dont release the map itself for others to use ... taviana 2.0 is so fucking buggy

dayztaviana.com v2.0 NEEDS an update especially a map update and I would like it to have sector B aswell

copyright needs to be changed, people have to be allowed to build on the (imperfect) stuff of others, to further improve it or change it as they see fit, provided with proper credit. simple as that.

I agree with you, Vent. So much potential to explore in Taviana, and while I know that in the case of 2.0 that team is likely swamped with real life stuff, as I suppose all dev teams are, I would like to see some forward movement. I get that 2.0 was a labor of love as .eu was stagnating at the time, but some other dev group out there might now feel the same about 2.0, and want to release a public update.

As for the Origins debacle, I think that consideration for Martin's wishes should be important, and full credit given to him for his amazing work, but use of that map by the community should be more flexible. Then again, I am not certain how I would feel about the use by others of my own custom island, were I to create one. Quite a situation.

His map is part of the second most popular dayz mod out there, and his name is on the loading screen. If thats not enough credit ... I dont know.

Its nice to get respect and credit for your work, but some people seem VERY needy, I see the same stuff in other areas of content creation.

For example, I make windows 7 visual styles and my creations are free to use to build upon, as long as people mention my name and share it aswell (creative commons). I like it when people use my work as basis for something else.
Ihe thing is though, when I want to assemble icons which I want to adapt and distribute with my visual style together as a package... I hit a brickwall because so many icon designers restrict adaption and changes to only desktop use. I hate that so much.

especially if you start with the base code Hicks & Team already started... however I wouldn't be surprised if they are just waiting for the release of the NEXT official code to do that... but who knows.
Given their track history I wouldn't stake my life or anything else you value on it. The attentive reader might ask why right around this point. Well because the integration of the most recent base DayZ version was announced twice. Sadly that progress is lacking certain stages past the announcement stage and combined with certain wise words about being fooled multiple times and your respective reactions in each of those instances you have your reason. So please stop handing out false hope about the development without any substantiated information also referred to as evidence or facts in some circles.

Announcement #1 19/02/13: http://opendayz.net/threads/dayz-taviana-3-0-update-rolling-changelist.7985/
Announcement #2 23/03/13: http://opendayz.net/threads/taviana-3-0-update.8736/

Given the date distribution of announcements the only thing you could hazard a guess on is that a new announcement is due for around this time.

Also I appreciate your research into integration of base DayZ code for Taviana. As I said before once I put my exams behind me and the new job pans out as well as SA is pushed back much farther/is shit on release I will most likely partake in development.

If anyone has a link to the base code than please share it as me and another person will attepmt to bring tavi 3.0 out

Unless your Arab friend buys BI then Martin has no right to anything he creates using the BI tools, it belongs to BI.

I can provide you with a perfect example of how this works in the real world...

At my work we spend millions each year developing additional functionality for GIS systems, the copyright on these systems is much like what BI has in place, we don't own the modifications that we make and technically they are the property of the vendor. We are unable to on-sell these changes and the vast majority of the time our changes end up incorporated into their core product.

Given that it's at a federal government level and there's specific laws about government retaining intellectual property rights, I can assure you that lawyers have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and the conclusion is always the same, either develop a totally new product from scratch or continue to pay for their product development.

Mind you, I've also read plenty of letters from lawyers and never seen one as amateurish as the one posted in the other thread, if there's copyright issues and he's filthy rich why can't he afford a real lawyer?

People seem to be missing another aspect of the Origins mod. It in itself is open to cease and desist orders and threats of been sued for copyright infringement using their own logic.

THE MOD CONTAINS SCRIPTS AND FEATURES SIMILAR TO OTHERS CREATED THAT PRE-DATE IT!

Not to mention the fact it is clearly a modification of somebody else's work whether they give credit or not. Origins is based off the creative works of Rocket. If they continue to be munch holes about it, I'm pretty sure he could bring them down.

Also I have seen them refer to GP as a non profit organisation on many occasions. And considering they are now receiving a small amount of revenue from commercial sources for the work they have done on the the Dayz mod called origins. There has to be some very serious implications on that from a legal standpoint. when you consider they have taken the work of rocket and used to to make money!!!!!!

Why does there appear to be no budget transparency? they solicit donations from the general public but give no information as to how that money is used.

I could keep going but I'm pretty sure your just as bored of reading as I am writing. I am just making one point. they are full of shit and are not sitting as pretty as they would like to think.

Arm chair lawyers who are like 1000 miles separated from the situation are really not helpful.

Do you talk to BIS? King does, so do I. King likely actually has some influence with them as his mod is now also personally responsible for the sales of MANY copies of A2/OA... a VERY old game that didn't sell very well to begin with.

DayZ is the property of BIS, as are whatever else they decide to say is their's. However historically they're a lot more likely to give you rights to modify their content then they are to just take yours, or to shut you down for taking theirs.

BIS does well no matter what happens to DayZ Standalone as long as mods keep generating interest in an old title that they've likely been all profit on for at least 2-3 years... DayZ made Arma 3, and the "stolen" DayZ Mods are going to keep paying for it and DayZ SA to get produced....

If there is a mod out there that has created more content then they have stolen it IS origins... PERIOD... I'd like any of the opendayz guys to prove otherwise....

Show me ONE MOD where the team that made the map works on the project?
Having said all this on a personal taste level, I think Origins is complete crap, I don't like it, I've played it, and besides finding some new stuff I just think it's lame.

I also don't like Taviana as a map... I couldn't care less who's making what money or mod or why there is all this drama surrounding Origins, when OpenDayZ's own Pown0zor has literally pirated .kju[PVPSCENE] 's All in Arma project with ZERO credits... that's just f'ing crazy... kju likely would have just said "yes, but point to my download and don't mirror"... but wasn't even approached.

Specific example how all this stealing and piracy is actually good for BIS:

Some A2 DayZ based "stolen" mod comes out that makes everyone forget SA and the launch goes bad...

Or someone actually comes up with a viable security solution for the dayz mod under the current a2/a3 architecture

Or Zoom(I Stole All In Arma)bies does AWESOME and no one want's SA just because of how many more Zoom(I Stole All In Arma)bies mods are likely to come out...

Well... BIS loses out on $20-30 SA alpha purchases (by people who long term might end up buying it at the full release for more money as BIS can take the cool bits that are selling from the mods and use them or copy them)...

BUT they sell A2/OA AND A3... the All In Arma mods all require you have both... BIS wins. Rocket however who started this empire does not.... I'm sure he's paid fairly well... but IMO, his reluctant tolerance of A2 DayZ mods should be rewarded with respecting his wishes regarding A3 DayZ mods.... I thought he made himself clear at PAX East but I can't find the exact video... but I'd imagine he will now be forced to voice his opinion loud and clear on it once he returns from Everest (which I think was the dickiest move in the world)

If you would spend half the amount of time as you do commenting on this thread and putting it towards your project maybe Sahrani would actually RELEASE and become more popular than Taviana :)

If you would spend half the amount of time as you do commenting on this thread and putting it towards your project maybe Sahrani would actually RELEASE and become more popular than Taviana :)

Well the issue is he is going through the proper channels to get permission and key data to reconstruct sharani for a2 rather than just take a map and slap dayz on it

Unfortunately none of the players care about that stuff, haha. Hopefully in the end it is worth all the trouble!

I've been most excited about this map since Panthera came out.

Got an email from Ivan today.... Thursday he's going to look for what we've been hoping for.

The other issue we're having with a release, is we wanted to take the 1.7.7 code, and thought it would be wrapped up soon-ish, but now it won't be locked till Rockets return, so not sure where we stand. Seven is busy helping with the official mod. So... at this point we may just do a quick fix and release but I'm just not sure.

Oh and as I've stated in many threads, I contribute basically nothing to the mod. I place vehicles and have added some buildings/features, test, coordinate people/stuff, and ask for permissions. I'm doing tutorials now in hopes of being able to actually modify the source assets and create new content, but I also have a real life to focus on, as do all the guys on the team, I haven't even heard from Sherman in 2 weeks lol.

Unfortunately none of the players care about that stuff, haha.

Yea but that is exactly the problem. It can take a year or more to produce a terrain from scratch with self made objects and to have some one rip it off without permission is just sad. Generally most guys will give some sort of permission if you just ask but when you steal someone's else's work, how do you think their are gonna feel. Personally I'd be pissed.

@nonov - armchair lawyers! That's great! Lol

Back