Guide: Dealing with AI helicopters (User tips also welcome)

Buttface

OpenDayZ Rockstar!
I've heard user feedback about how troublesome the AI helicopters are, so I decided to write up a guide just to shine some light on how to evade, defend against, and take them down.

Before the encounter - what you need to know:

Players in vehicles are easily detected:

AI helicopters will generally ignore players on foot as they travel from place to place, the exception is if the players are in some sort of vehicle. Bicycles are pretty much ignored by AI helicopters, not so sure abut motorcycles, but I have been fired on while zipping along on a jetski.

AI helicopters will search for all nearby players upon completing a waypoint:

When an AI helicopter reaches a waypoint, they begin searching the area for players. Their detection range is normally 275m, measured from the waypoint position. After briefly scanning the area they will move onto their next waypoint. If the helicopter is in "Seek and Destroy" patrol mode (27.5% probability of SAD mode per waypoint), this detection range is extended to 400m. You can recognize a helicopter as in SAD mode if it begins flying around the area for a longer amount of time (20-30 seconds)

You can evade detection simply by hiding behind a building or large object. As long as there is no line of sight between the helicopter and yourself, you're safe. When the helicopter begins moving to its next waypoint, you're safe to come out of cover. However, if at least one player is detected, the AI helicopter will begin engaging the detected player(s).

You've been detected - how can you escape?

Do not fear - you can still easily escape your situation.

1. If you were driving in a vehicle and attracted the attention of a passing helicopter patrol:
    • Exit your vehicle - the helicopter should immediately cease fire and continue patrolling, unless you decide to open fire. This may or may not work if you were detected during the end-of-waypoint detection sweep.
  2. If you were detected by a helicopter patrol while it was hovering over its waypoint.
    • Avoid line-of-sight with the helicopter. If you remain out of sight, the helicopter will remain near where it "thinks" you are, but if you are spotted, the helicopter will re-engage. If you remain hidden and leave the area, you may be able to shake off the helicopter.
    • Do not fire upon the helicopter unless you're committed to taking it down. If you manage to land hits on the helicopter, the helicopter AI will become more aggressive in its pursuit.

So you decided to stand your ground...

If you decided that you've suffered enough torment from the AI helicopters and want to take them down for once and for all, here are a few pointers.

1. Have some sort of long-range rifle weapon with a healthy amount of ammunition.
    • The exact amount of ammo you will need depends on your accuracy with your weapon. In my best attempts, I have taken down a helicopter using 5 Lee Enfield rounds.
  2. Only fire when you're directly in front of the helicopter and can fire into the cockpit. The AI pilot is situated on the front-right side of the helicopter (front-left from your point of view), so this is the best place to fire.
  3. Never engage an AI helicopter without cover. When you're not in a good position to fire directly at the helicopter pilot, you should be hiding behind a wall or building. Hiding behind a vehicle is not recommended unless it's highly armored and in good state of repair.
  4. Be ready to run away if you've successfully taken out the pilot or damaged the helicopter enough for the crew to bail out, otherwise the helicopter will crash directly into you. This is also why I recommended you don't use a vehicle as cover.
  5. Be aware of the parachuted helicopter crew. If they parachuted at sufficient height, they will survive the descent and may engage you upon landing. If they were too low when they bailed, they will be dead upon landing.

Little notes from things I have noticed.
-Dont ever fight blackhakws with at least 2 people and guns that can go full auto.
-Blackhawks are the most feared thing on our server. Theyt are also the most agressive.
-The Mi-17 Hind is the least aggressive of the helis and usually only attacks if you attack it first unlike the Blackhawk which will nail you if it goes by and your in a car. The Huey seems to fall in between the 2.
-When you hear a A.I. heli jump out your vehicle and let it pass out of sight then continue.
-They dont attack you if your on a bicycle
-Blackhawks will attack you even if you jump out the vehicle IF it has started its attack on you already.
-Fear the Blackhawk

all of these just apply to our server. Your milage may vary
Havent tested biplanes, little birds or UH1Y yet.

Biplanes with M240: very mean anti-air. One AI AN2 shot down my Huey despite my maneuvering. Pretty useless anti-ground though.

Little birds with M134: easy to take down but pack a huge punch. Don't get in front of one.

UH1Y: Scary as all hell, haven't taken one down without using vehicle weapons. Using cover is an absolute must when facing one of these.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back