[HELP] Before i blow my brains out with scripting.

Sandbird

Valued Member!
This is my 7th day trying to debug a script i am writing for an addAction menu option for the player menu.

I got no problem writing the code, i know PHP, did 4 years of C++ so i can understand how arma code works. What REALLYYYYY pisses me of is the debugging.
Maybe i am doing it wrong I DONT KNOW...but i am gonna paint my PC blue and throw it off the window if i continue like this.

This is what i am doing now.
- Write code in Ultraedit, and check it with Squint2 for errors. If everything is good....then i make my mission folder to a .pbo, and run the server.
- Open a client (in the same PC with -showScriptErrors argument) and login to the LAN game, (wait for ever to load the map) then get in game and test the action menu.

Now IF i've made a single mistake (like forgot a comma). I have to start all over again......and wait another 5min till i'am actually in the game.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS !!!!!!! $#%#$^#$&

Someone told me that i can run my mission and preview it in the Editor which does not work for Epoch or any kind of multiplayer map....at least not to me...or i am doing something wrong...idk

I even tried to make a SP mission and add my 'butchered' code in a .sqf file and load it with an init action on the player in the editor.
The freaking thing wouldnt even recognize assigned values.
_radius = 500;
and later on nearestObjects [player, ["blahblah"], _radius];
would not work....It needed actually 500 instead of _radius to work........so i quit trying with that crap.

Now someone please tell me this is NOT the way you guys write addons for dayz. Isn't there a way to load the mission file in editor and test everything on the fly ?
I am not saying not use an editor....but it would be 100 times faster to save the code changes....load the mission again and hit preview to see if its working or not....If not edit the .sqf again, save, load mission, test.....

Any input would be appreciated .
- A very pissed of survivor.

Thanks ebay,
Honestly i was going crazy...I thought that the whole community new something that i didnt and i was doing it wrong lol.
I have to start developing on my real server instead of my home pc....i even put the game on the SSD but still the load times are horrible.I am surprised noone has invented a better debugging tool/process. The easiest thing would be dynamic file loading. When i select the action ingame to load the file and 'play' it.

hmm actually i just had an idea...could i have the whole script in a database cell and then when needed ingame load it into a value and execute ?
Would execVM run value instead of .sqf ? I wonder.

Back