Help with adding Scripts

Wienold

Hello OpenDayZ,
While I'm an amateur when it comes to hosting DayZ servers itself I've been around the game since the beginning. I recently purchased a server hosting through VertHosting and I'm confused by the whole adding custom scripts. All the tutorials that I read say to find things such as Mission.pbo or dayz_mission.pbo or init.sql and I can't seem to find them. If anyone has any insight on how VertHosting hosts things server side that would be great. Sorry if this has been established elsewhere I've been googling everywhere and can't find anything on it.
Thanks in advance!

All you are missing here is a little bit of basic knowledge.

Before you start you will need the following:
  • Notepad++ : To edit scripts/files
  • PBO Manager : To extract the contents of PBO files (They are like zip files) - ALWAYS INSTALL THE RIGHT COPY (x64 for 64bit, x86 for 32)
Now, to cover your other missing information.

Your mission file, or otherwise your "Mission.pbo" is located inside the MPMissions folder of your servers ARMA2 install. There may be many folders in here and also many PBO's.

You can determine which mission you are running by viewing your config.cfg file (Where you set the same of your server, slots etc).
Down the bottom of this file will be something like;
Code:
class Missions
{
    class Mission1
    {
        template = "DayZ_Epoch_23.Chernarus";
        difficulty="veteran";
    };

};

See the "DayZ_Epoch_23.Chernarus" - Thats the name of the PBO that YOU want to EDIT.

A quick newbie note: If the PBO isnt present (IE: It doesnt exist in that folder) ARMA will look for a folder with the same name instead. If you dont have a PBO, that means the contents of the "MISSION.PBO" people are talking about will be in the folder with the name of the mission template.

Following so far?

The other thing people will get you to look for is generally called "dayz_server.pbo".

This one is a little more tricky. It is generally located in the folder of the same name, with an @ symbol in front of it. Sometimes the name can be different but the convention NORMALLY follows these two rules;
  • It will have an @
  • It will have _server - AT THE END OF THE FOLDER NAME.
Once you have found this, go into it. You will see a folder called addons. Go into that. Voila.

Now the last part.

EXTRACTING PBO's.

This is the easy part. Dowload the PBO to your computer or whatever. Now right click, select PBO Manager, select EXTRACT TO *PBONAMEHERE*.

This will make a new folder with all the pretty scripts inside it.

THE VOODOO MAGIC!

Once you are done with your edits, simply right click on the folder the PBO Manager extracted and select PBO Manager and select MAKE PBO.

Done.

PS: I highly suggest making backups of the original files BEFORE you edit anything. If you are struggling to grasp this information, scripting will really be an eye opener for you. And as always, if you need help - Just ask me :)

Okay, I understand most of what you said I added my first script yesterday which went smoothly thank you so much and I may contact you in the future =)

Back