Human Resources

Starve or Carve?

• Total voters
Cannibalism is certainly a possibility in a post apocalyptic landscape. The Day is a film about that very issue, and while a watchable, if forgettable film exploring the limits of morality against survival, it's interesting to see how people would struggle to come to terms with the decay of society.

I guess if it came to deciding to starve or carve, I'd like to think that my rationality would take over allowing me to see nourishment on a body, rather than the person it once was. After all, it's only flesh once dead.

I'll tell you about my experience with this ideal. When I was going through the worst of my treatment there was about a four month period where I couldn't eat or drink at all. I had what's called a J-tube, which is where formula is pumped directly into my intestine. I also took all water through it because my throat was badly damaged from the neck dissection and radiation burns.

The first month was brutal. Taking your nutrients like that does NOTHING to satiate either thirst or hunger. I got so thirsty I would dream constantly about drinking a cool glass of water. Yeah, it's no stretch of imagination that within a few weeks if you would have said "You can eat this steak but it's ass meat from a train hobo" my answer to you (without hesitation) would have been "Can I use some ketchup?"

I think most people have never been capital "H" Hungry. It's an insane and very visceral experience.

Great insight! I can only speculate how that may have felt. Hunger and thirst are such powerful instincts that I'm sure they would be almost impossible to ignore. An undesirable circumstance certainly, but an experience at least. Bravo for the endurance.

I'd definitely ask for mustard though...

I'd rather eat meat, regardless, then starve to death....no question. But fortunately, at this time, we don't live in a world like that...

Games are, for me the best way to explore the limits of ones own moral compass, particularly within DayZ as there appear to be fewer rules/limitations than in most. Rust has caught my eye recently, but I prefer the decay of the modern world. The film industry maintains the point that morality would endure in harsh times, but I'm not so sure. History is loaded with tales of genocide and atrocities at the hands of men.

But fortunately, at this time, we don't live in a world like that...
Do you know something we don't? At least we all know what to do now eh?

I play DayZ the same way I play real life....I think video games, GTA, DayZ, open world sandbox's and the way people play them, tell a great deal about one's personality and ethical/moral beliefs.

I don't believe in murder or stealing, therefor I don't murder or steal in DayZ. These players that kill on sight, are probably the type of people that will end up in prison in the future or steal from their own grandmother...

Do you know something we don't? At least we all know what to do now eh?
It was my personal opinion...never CLAIMED to know anything that no one else does.

It was my personal opinion...never CLAIMED to know anything that no one else does.
That's good to know. Thanks *phew*

For a living I help people by providing them with support for them and their families. In EvE Online I played as a pirate, in which case I'd ambush, kill and steal at almost every opportunity. Except from my family.

But, like you I prefer to play DayZ according to my real self. I think perhaps there's a better relationship between an avatar that resembles you, than a spaceship.

Back