Hunger

entspeak

Was hunger modified for this mod? I thought it would be harder to survive when it came to food, and yet... it was surprisingly easy - I've got 3 cans of food and, now that I can hunt, a lot of cooked meat. I can get through several hours before the food icon starts blinking. Considering the lack of resources, people would be living on much less food and would need to eat more often in order to keep their energy up (for all that running). Is it possible to decrease the amount of time before food is needed?

how much time do you played? i playerd like 8 hours and never seen a can of food in dayz 2017 :D you lucky guy!

In finding the food, it was about the same amount of time. Took me much longer to find a box of matches. Buy I never really worried about hunger. It was a very long time before my icon started blinking.

I found two cans of dog food and a can of sardines. This was on the shacknews server on the west side of the map and the markets along that side (Zelen, Pusto and Vybor) . Of course, I made this thread and currently have a character on your server with the food icon blinking, no food and no matches after cycling the loot in the Polana market twice... (But there was also tremendous lag there... 10 minutes before zombies would spawn).

Great mod so far Shinkicker,can't wait to see what you have coming up.As for hunger I found one can of "delicious when hungry" dog food in 8 hours of play so its very nice where it is.But I do feel that there are too many animals.I can SPOT A COW/KILL IT and as I am cooking another animal or two walks thru my campsite.Just getting rid of cows will make survival a bit harder.I can at times have 10 cooked steaks in backpack and lessens the survival feel.I think this mod should be pure survival and food should be reduced to give that aspect its due.Just wanna say though that if your thinking of reducing the animals I feel that hunger time to death should be slowed tremendously.I am talking 4 times slower.I do not think that players should die from lack of food so easily but rather it should be a way to lose some health and finally find an animal and not get back to full health.Constant struggle just to stay alive is good.

Also,ever think of adding in ACE mod and stamina?

Great mod so far Shinkicker,can't wait to see what you have coming up.As for hunger I found one can of "delicious when hungry" dog food in 8 hours of play so its very nice where it is.But I do feel that there are too many animals.I can SPOT A COW/KILL IT and as I am cooking another animal or two walks thru my campsite.Just getting rid of cows will make survival a bit harder.I can at times have 10 cooked steaks in backpack and lessens the survival feel.I think this mod should be pure survival and food should be reduced to give that aspect its due.Just wanna say though that if your thinking of reducing the animals I feel that hunger time to death should be slowed tremendously.I am talking 4 times slower.I do not think that players should die from lack of food so easily but rather it should be a way to lose some health and finally find an animal and not get back to full health.Constant struggle just to stay alive is good.

Also,ever think of adding in ACE mod and stamina?

We did up the animal population, so we can look at reducing the animal spawn rate.

Shinkicker,loving the cannibalism that your bringing to 2017 and feel that it could really make for a struggle of humanity.And if you plan to reduce animal spawns then it throws in the cannibalism dynamic for survival.But I have a few ideas for a different hunger system and will post it for you to maybe get an idea from it.

First is to lower animal spawns to harsher than Dayz default.Dayz was made to PVP and the animal system was geared to allow this with cows walking the NWAF etc.Then end the death from hunger.I know that is weird request but this allows the animal spawns to be lowered even further than Dayz default.To really give a harsh,no food and little supplies feel to the mod then animals should be rare.You wanna force a constant looking for supplies feel but dying after an hour from hunger prevents this.I posted this on the DAYZ forums but no one gets it LOL.Rare items is what makes for survival feel but you can not do this if players will be constantly dying from hunger after an hour of playing.

So then the question emerges of what the hunger icon is even there for.The hunger icon can still be used by showing when the player is actually hungry and can eat.So when it starts blinking is the only time you can eat a food item.This might be too harsh since if your dropped to near death you would have a long ass wait to eat all your steaks to reach full health since each steak is only 800 blood.Maybe 4000 blood gain from each steak or decrease the time to hunger to allow more meals to be eaten in a given time?

I do like the idea of reviewing the animal populace, but not forcing people to feed when the hunger icon is flashing. I would much rather leave it as it is where its up to the player to manage there own food (i.e. they can mismanage and later regret the consequences of not rationing their food enough).

I agree,reducing the animal populace is needed.How low will you go though?IMO just slightly lower than Dayz default is needed to give a more survival feel.Maybe a longer time to death when hunger is flashing would help here to allow further reduction without killing off the player populace?

Other stuff I am noticing....all IMO.

Bandages seem to spawn too much and I carry around 10 at all times and stuff the excess into my pack.I would drop them down to very low rates to where you are constantly searching everywhere in the hope to find one that may save your life.Then change the speed of bleeding from infected to be slight and that these lighter wounds self heal over time.With reduced animal spawns,every time you start bleeding(even if its slow and will heal up over time)is a bad thing.Of course weapon damage can be more severe and their severity tied to the damage they do.

Morphine and the boxes loaded with med supplies in a hospital(scavenged yrs before).I think its better to get rid of the boxes and just throw a rare 1 morphine spawn here and there to give that feeling of FUCK YEAH MORPHINE!!!:DGet rid of the empty cans in hospital spawns and throwing down some used med supplies in hospitals would be over the top .

EDIT<<<<just wanna add that only allowing the player to eat when icon is flashing forces the players mindset to be much more cautious.If your somewhere at half health then any infected you spot are potential death threats compared to the lack of fear you have when you spot them at full green.Same with spotting other players.It also adds in a feeling of needing time to heal your wounds.

Back