Is it possible to edit loot tables and other things in dayz_code for my server, but not for clients?

ZombieSniper

Hi there!

I'm getting pretty good at understanding how to modify dayz. I'm able to change the loot tables and other things (like removing the stupid zombie tackling) but I get "include z/addons......../REsec.sqf not found, and my server explodes.

How can I edit dayz_code for my server so I can change the loot rarity, zombie tackle, and zombie spawn times? (Please note I'm not asking for specifics. I just need to know the correct way to edit dayz_code).

Thanks in advance!

How are you editing it? Are you moving all the dayz_code files you're changing to the mission pbo to client side the changes?

what you need to understand is the way dayz knows the location of files. follow the breadcrumbs .... (i am sure this is review, but actually understanding the purpose of these files is vital)
in your init.sqf is a line that tells Every computer (because they all exec the init.sqf in the mission) the location of a file named compiles.sqf, which is in the dayz_code pbo.
the compiles.sqf gives the location of tons of files which are required and loaded by the game. so we can simply move this file into our mission and change the line in the init.sqf to load our LOCAL mission copy rather than the external dayz_code.pbo copy. now any changes you make will be reflected in your mod.
REMEMBER .. all files you edit must be copied into your mission
you can edit any file that you can change its path to point to a local mission copy.
follow the breadcrumbs, you might have to move several files into the mission and edit paths to the next file in the breadcrumb trail until you get the file you need into your mission.
if you have a folder in your mission called fixes then the new path to your compiles would be
fixes\compiles.sqf
Do not EVER edit files directly in the dayz_code.pbo, they must be copied to your mission.

and ALWAYS and FOREVER only keep one copy of a file. make edits to that one file .... it will avoid confusion in the future ... what i mean is if a script comes with its own custom fn_selfactions.sqf, make those edits to your CURRENT copy of that file and do not just add the new copy into your mission.

Back