Make Dayz 2017 stand out more

denpes

Hi there dayz 2017 devs.

When I currently look at the dayz 2017 server I see that most are low pop or emtpy. That probably means that something is missing. In my opinion it is currently not a true challenge for the hardcore pve survivor (especially after you have geared up) , and not attractive enough for the pvp player. Though it has improved a lot the last versions. I am big fan of this mod.

Here are my suggestions:

- make larger animals very rare or disappear. And increase the rate of rabbits.
- only spawn foodcans in supermarkets. And perhaps make them extremely rare in houses.

And here a combination of suggestions to give the players a goal:

- only spawn morphine auto injectors and anti biotics in hospitals!
- make it more difficult to get to the supermarkets and hospitals to get the above items. For example low geared AI guards with lee enfield, 1 mag, 1 food and 1 waterbottle each. (could be a team of 4 guards defending/protecting those buildings. they should be aware and shoot on sight.)

- To the above. There should be some kind of story line to explain the above. Could be some group that is controlling the resources, and the survivors are not part of that group, and therefore excluded from those resources. They should fight to get it.

I think the above should appeal to pve survivors and pvp players. It' would be a challenge to get certain items, and you could get accces to lee enfields. It could also be a reason to team up to attack the AI guards at a certain building (hospital, supermarket) , and get access to those items.

Thanks. Yeah, perhaps the first 2 suggestions are a bit too much for new players or fresh spwans. And they can live without morphine and anti biotics for the time being.

But eventually everyone wants to have at least one auto morphine injector, and perhaps anti biotics. If they only spawn in hospitals, with guards around, it will be a challenge.

I think it shouldn't be too easy. So placement of those guards will be important. but they could also patrol around the hospital. Then sneaky Joe with the crossbow also has a chance. ;)

tomorrow i have the day off, so I can try to edit the mission file myself and see what it gives.

Edit:
I have a server running with AI bandits, its called pupsys Dayz 2017, if you are interested in seeing bandits with only 2017 gear. It's kinda extremely hard though.

Thanks. Yeah, perhaps the first 2 suggestions are a bit too much for new players or fresh spwans. And they can live without morphine and anti biotics for the time being.

But eventually everyone wants to have at least one auto morphine injector, and perhaps anti biotics. If they only spawn in hospitals, with guards around, it will be a challenge.

I think it shouldn't be too easy. So placement of those guards will be important. but they could also patrol around the hospital. Then sneaky Joe with the crossbow also has a chance. ;)

tomorrow i have the day off, so I can try to edit the mission file myself and see what it gives.

Edit:
I have a server running with AI bandits, its called pupsys Dayz 2017, if you are interested in seeing bandits with only 2017 gear. It's kinda extremely hard though.

Adding a few guards/waypoint patrols shouldn't be too difficult right now for server admins, it can be done fairly painlessly in the 2D editor. A lot of folks complain that it's too difficult starting out with nothing, but that's kinda the point of 2017, imo :cool:

I actually just did the same on my map...20+ AI have taken over Zelenogorsk, with small patrol teams of 3 in all surrounding towns. There are also friendly patrols in the nearby area. Makarov firefights lol! :D

@ Fr1nk
Yeah, that is true. You even have complete scripts now, which just need setting some parameters. Now you can even play on a low pop server and have a tough time ;)

The thing is just about balance. friendlies are an easy target and a source for easy gear. low skilled bandits as well.

I used the sarge AI scripts, and configured only bandits and the proper 2017 weapons, plus I set static spawnpoints near the hospitals. So far, everyone, including myself, have not had the chance to gear up properly. Everyone got shot within an hour, or died because they couldn't get access to the items they needed. (though it's low pop)

Personally, I agree with Rocket when he says that the only AI in Dayz should be the zombies. Morphine and Antibiotics should be rare, but adding in AI guards is not the solution. When you add in AI guards/AI bandits, you create an atmosphere where everyone is encouraged to shoot on sight, because you do not know whether your target is a player or just a mindless NPC who is programmed to kill you.......or just a friendly survivor trying to get some supplies.

If someone is shooting at me to kill, I feel better knowing that it is a human player who has made a conscious decision to attempt to kill me. Then I have a reason to fire back at him. AI guards blur this line.

@knar

I agree with you, but currently dayz 2017 is not a challenge after you have geared up. Perhaps with a full server and mixture of survivors or bandits, it is.

The trick is to find the right balance. A certain balance might work while searching for basic gear., but might not work after you have it all. Dayz 2017 is an example of that, it's great while you have to find your basic gear. Especially on a vanilla server. You start with nothing and you can have a hard time. But, after you have geared up, you have no challenge. iow, the balance is not working anymore. A certain balance might also work on a full server, but not on a low pop server.

All dayz servers are boring when playing on low pop, that's for sure. You need a mixture of bandits and survivors on a server. And all dayz 2017 server are pretty low pop, with the exception of one german dayz server which sometimes has 15 or more people on it. But on that server you start with 2 or 3 bandages, and some other crap, plus has a difficult-setting that I don't like. I was geared up within the hour over there.

I like dayz 2017, and that why i run a server with AI bandits all over the map. It's not the best solution, but until I, or the devs of dayx 2017, find a better solution I go with that. It's working for me, because they for a real threat and are a real hassle during gearing up. I often have to run before i properly looted the place.

And after i have geared up i still have something to do.

But, i agree with you that in vanilla version there should not be AI bandits over the whole map. But on one or 2 locations it might be good. If a high pop server on a certain moment is very low pop while you are playing on it, you still can have a challenge.

Back