MySQL + Ramdisk

Viba

Was wondering if setting up the database on a ramdisk would speed things up? Anybody tried doing this?

DayZ databases are write heavy, with my logic putting it in memory would be a lot faster.

Ofcourse another option would be to get a SSD.

Experiences, comments?

I'm use ram-disk of my L2 server, and he was very helpful to get rid of delays, etc. However, there is much larger number of players and the amount of data that is constantly fed to the database, procedures. Here, I do not know whether it makes sense to use it, until he studied the load on the server. But try, just do not become worse)) Don't forget to make backups just because any win blue screen and db is gone) Recommend Dataram Ram-disk, it's free for the <4GB ram sharing.

And if you can get some tests on the server_load without ramdisk and with it, with a lot of players (I have 10 max for these time). Then public this data please)

Gonna use RAMDISK for database tomorrow. Since I need to reisinstall the whole server, I will give it a try.
You can use the autoback up, you can set a xx seconds for ramdisk to create backups.

Hope it's gonna make a difference :D

So server is running again. With database on RamDisk. I can't tell if things are better, since I face lots of desync :(
maybe something to do with the antihax. Don't really know yet.

Yeah i think so too, 1.7.5.1 is a pain in the ass when it comes to performance... my servers are a lot more under load by the same playercount as under 1.7.4.4, also players say that the fps are very very low, i can tell so about namalsk... killermachine and only 30 fps where i had 60 before the update, also the db updates are very inconsistent, some users dont save to db for 15 minutes.

Yeah i think so too, 1.7.5.1 is a pain in the ass when it comes to performance... my servers are a lot more under load by the same playercount as under 1.7.4.4, also players say that the fps are very very low, i can tell so about namalsk... killermachine and only 30 fps where i had 60 before the update, also the db updates are very inconsistent, some users dont save to db for 15 minutes.
Yes I have noticed exactly these same things after the 1.7.5.1 update. Might have something to do with IIRC functions were moved from the clientside to serverside in this newest update?

Same here, it's a shame. I hosted lots of games. But arma / dayz is really the worst game to host EVER. 2 servers just kills one fucking dedicated machine ^^ I'm using 4 TB data a month for 2 servers :/

its all down to this single core bollox

If it gets multicore support the game would improve 10 fold. you'd have 100 player servers or 50 players with no major lag

This is not related to ramdisk. MaRs and Karl, mind telling me what dedicated machine specs you guys running dayz servers on? I am looking to upgrade my box to increase slot count and minimize lag as well. Thanks.

This is not related to ramdisk. MaRs and Karl, mind telling me what dedicated machine specs you guys running dayz servers on? I am looking to upgrade my box to increase slot count and minimize lag as well. Thanks.

I'm running on:

i5 760 Quadcore.
12 GB DDR3
1 TB ( RAID 0 )

MySQL on RAMDISK
full 100 Mbit connection. Not shared
Dedicated lan card.

I have bad lags, even when one dayz server is running. It's really not the hardware that cause the lags. It's probably the new update.

I'm running on:

i5 760 Quadcore.
12 GB DDR3
1 TB ( RAID 0 )

MySQL on RAMDISK
full 100 Mbit connection. Not shared
Dedicated lan card.

I have bad lags, even when one dayz server is running. It's really not the hardware that cause the lags. It's probably the new update.

Desktop CPU != Server cpu designed for high performance requirements. Not saying this is the issue; however, desktop class machines cannot ever hope to compete with a real server (Xeon processor). At most this is a mediocre gaming desktop. 25+ users on my servers and running at 45+ FPS on server side at all times. I rarely if ever see a drop in FPS.

Desktop CPU != Server cpu designed for high performance requirements. Not saying this is the issue; however, desktop class machines cannot ever hope to compete with a real server (Xeon processor). At most this is a mediocre gaming desktop. 25+ users on my servers and running at 45+ FPS on server side at all times. I rarely if ever see a drop in FPS.

Lol. Like that really maters. No. That cpu "should" be powerfull enough.
arma is the most shit game ever for hosting.

Example:
On server up, cpu at 20%...same shit lag as when I have 3 servers up on 90% load..
So your comment with server cpu, doesn't make sence. Ofc I know server cpu's are more powerfull ;) but it should not matter for one server.

Lol. Like that really maters. No. That cpu "should" be powerfull enough.
arma is the most shit game ever for hosting.

Example:
On server up, cpu at 20%...same shit lag as when I have 3 servers up on 90% load..
So your comment with server cpu, doesn't make sence. Ofc I know server cpu's are more powerfull ;) but it should not matter for one server.

Note, I did state that I am not saying its the issue!

Desktop CPU != Server cpu designed for high performance requirements. Not saying this is the issue; however, desktop class machines cannot ever hope to compete with a real server (Xeon processor). At most this is a mediocre gaming desktop.

With all due respect, this is pure rubbish. Are you saying that a game server running a desktop CPU like the 3750k at 4.2GHz is not "designed for high performance requirements" and "cannot ever hope to compete with a real server (Xeon processor)"?

With all due respect, this is pure rubbish. Are you saying that a game server running a desktop CPU like the 3750k at 4.2GHz is not "designed for high performance requirements" and "cannot ever hope to compete with a real server (Xeon processor)"?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. You are more then welcome to look at the specs below. Anyone with any knowledge of the subject will look at that and say, eh yeah, its right there in black and white. Not debating the issue when there is no debate on the subject to be had.

I am not saying that is the issue in this exact scenario, that the game server requires that or whatever. However, it remains to see that it doesn't help in some way. Users running the game system with lower end machines like a desktop are reporting lower fps server side in general as compared to those who are Xeon classed machines. Again, this is not true of all those running this either. My servers run high FPS server side.

http://ark.intel.com/products/71096...essor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/53580...E7-8870-30M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

I'm sure many here are running $1000+ CPU's for their DayZ server. Regardless, you are throwing the baby out with the bath water just because your cherry-picked server cpu has more performance than a desktop cpu.

Let's be real here. You are just generalizing. Just because something may perform better than something else, doesn't mean the lesser performer is mediocre. In fact, you are actually wrong with this generalization. There are lower performing Xeons than a 4.2 3750k. I guess they are just simply mediocre.

I'm sure many here are running $1000+ CPU's for their DayZ server. Regardless, you are throwing the baby out with the bath water just because your cherry-picked server cpu has more performance than a desktop cpu.

Let's be real here. You are just generalizing. Just because something may perform better than something else, doesn't mean the lesser performer is mediocre. In fact, you are actually wrong with this generalization. There are lower performing Xeons than a 4.2 3750k. I guess they are just simply mediocre.

For the CPU's talked about in this thread, the issue isn't gaming, its the capability of any number of components in a machine being able to perform cert tasks. Just because something is fast doesn't mean it can handle the same amount of data as a different processor architecture. My servers perform in the 30-50 fps range constantly. Can they game as well as I can on a desktop machine? No, I cannot, because they were not designed to do that task. Server processors are for holding/processing larges amounts of data. Looking at the marks for the cpu's listed below shows my one server and the desktop in re markedly different categories.

Also, it does seem that I indicated that I was not saying this was an issue, I have seen servers running slower. I merely pointed this as a curiosity point. Your Epeen got stepped on somehow.

Overall Rank: 286
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+760+@+2.80GHz&id=773

My servers
Overall Rank: 348
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-3120M+@+2.50GHz&id=1442
Overall Rank: 42
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1230+V2+@+3.30GHz&id=1189

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I just don't want this guy (or anyone else) to think that their only choice for a great DayZ server is between a high-end, expensive Xeon server, or a "mediocre gaming desktop."

Following that line of thinking, if you are not cooling with phase change, then your system is mediocre regardless if it performs great for the use in which it is intended.

Back